cleaning and painting valve covers and engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got bored today and was sick of the crud on my engine and by rusty tb cover so I'm cleaning and painting it. Also want to talk about my sludge issue. Will have plenty of pics any advice while I got the the covers off is welcome

^Is this the Saturn or truck?

Looks like 'some' slude with a LOT of carbon deposits.

I mean initially it's scary, but you can still read the letters. On a scale of 0-10 for sludge, 10 being the worst caked on variety...I'd say this is about a 5(no worse than that really, JMO), not beyond retrieval.

Some vital questions are: what does the bottom end look like, is the PCV system plugged(the lines and the PCV valve)?

I would use Auto-RX, or something to flush it out. I've seen dirtier engines. Could not see the second picture. It looks like a chevy engine.....

Last edited:
^I'd try some top-end foam cleaners and idle flush additives for this app; for what is unseen.

I've had 'consistent' carbon deposit removal with those two products on my '92 so much so that now(after 3-4 oil change time treatments, a couple of top-end cleanings and some idle time flushes like amsoil and Lubro Moly Pro Line engine flush), I no longer see carbon deposits with the used oil I drain out. Before I'd get some deposits with the drain.

That, fuel system cleaners, replacing the fuel filter, etc; so no entry of contaminants via the fuel system making things 'worse'. Piston soaks are good for carbon removal as well. Chevy knows all about that, just hard to do on a chevy truck b/c of spark plug access...

In fact, now that I think about it. This could get done via manual cleaning, rinse with oil, idle flush and oil change. Valve-train could be clean in a day if the other side looks like this too.

Last edited:
looks like 5w 40 rotella with some mmo will make a 30wt cleaning oil. change filters at 500 miles and then at 1 k for 3 times.

I'd leave the sludge alone last thing you want is a big chunk falling off and clogging something up.

maybe run an oil that is supposed to clean well.

^The other side's pic didn't work apparently?...

Doesn't look too bad, honestly. Lots of carbon deposits, mainly. Causing the appearance of 'sludge' but nothing is really at that caked on stage. If you were to manually clean or clean some, it'd be gone within a year with 'moderately' (read, not dangerously) aggro attempts. Light varnish and discoloration may remain, though no biggie.

MMO + Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil1 0w-40 is a good idea.

Change the oil filter by 1,500(use entry level, not super efficient) to 'gradually' filter out that crud which is big enough to get caught by the filter by the way, if you go the MMO route at least.

^okay, I'd call that a 2 or so. Not bad. You could try to manually clean, run an MMO + T6 combo, etc. for 2 ocis, you should be g2g. M1 0w-40 is just too expensive for your app, IMO, depends on if you can get an change special.

Yes, link is working. I stand by my reco for M1 0w40 if you can swing it, and with an early filter change as Itslimjim stated.

The one side is definitely far worse than the other. That thing has not been adequately looked after oil-wise.

^Couldn't he manually clean that while the covers are off? I'm sure the combustion chamber/cylinder head area has carbon deposits as well, so my other recommendations still stand. Idle time flushes before draining and within 1-2 years MAX(even if drawn out) and this engine will be looking great.

The one side isn't bad though. What causes the one side to be worse . I just got done cleaning them now I'm going to rough the surface up and sand the tb cover. The guy had proof of oil changes. With pyb and fram filters

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
The one side isn't bad though. What causes the one side to be worse . I just got done cleaning them now I'm going to rough the surface up and sand the tb cover. The guy had proof of oil changes. With pyb and fram filters

PYB and FRAM filters? IMPOSSIBLE!
grin.gif
At what intervals?

(this should be good, waiting for the SOPUS "crew")
35.gif

Was the bad side the side with the PCV valve by chance?

You know, good 'ol Tig and myself have never had this problem with Mobil 1..... LOL!!!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back