2012 CRV vs. 2012 Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, im in the test driving process of getting a new car for my wife. We are buying between the 2nd and 3rd week of march, so a few more weeks.
She wants a small SUV, we have driven most of them out there, she has narrowed it down to the New CRV and the Forester. The CRV interior is very nice, has some standard gizmos such as backup camera, a new display system. If we get the CRV, its going to be base 2WD.
The forester AWD is legendary, the interior is fine but not as glitzy. Both ride about the same, the CRV is maybe a bit more car-like.
Im gung-ho about the forester, my wife like it but prefers the CRV. Im hesitant about buying a car the 1st year that it has been out, in case it has quirks/issues that havent been worked out yet. Also, I hate giving up on the AWD, but the 4WD CRV puts the car out of my price comfort.
Any insight is appreciated! Thanks

I vote for the Forester because the AWD adds an active safety factor. My 2000 Forester saved my families butt, during a flash flood that was moving mud across the road, and you couldn't see 20 feet in front of the vehicle. Admittedly rare but, stuff does happen. Ed

Subaru Forester AWD v Honda base CRV 2WD
Subaru any day, no contest between these two. Subaru is head and shoulders above the Honda in every mechanical way.
The Honda 4WD isn't even in the same class as Subaru.

Forester FTW. The AWD in my Legacy has sold me on AWD for life. In Michigan winters before it has worked wonderfully (this winter isn't really a winter lol). If I was to replace my Legacy right now it would be with a Forester.

I see your located in Texas, so I suppose AWD isn't necessary. No doubt, that the Subaru has the best AWD system money can buy, but if you don't need that capability, then the CRV ftw!

If you are in TX, AWD may not be as important as it is in a region with snow.

Both the Forester and CRV are solid and reliable vehicles and you will not go wrong with either.

I have been a Forester owner for 7 years and am very happy with it. Still going strong at 125k miles.

You may want to compare and contrast the Honda engine vs the Subaru boxer engine. The Honda engine is straighforward while the Boxer engine is more complicated with two sets of cylinder banks etc. I've never seen a CRV engine, but would speculate that changing the spark plugs would be easier than in a boxer engine. The advantage of the boxer engine is the lower center of gravity.

You can probably get a better deal on the Forester as the current design has been around for 4 years while the Honda is "all new" for this year.

Last edited:
We like both of our Subies.
The Forester is a roomy and useful machine, although the interior is not all that fancy.
Still, the seats are comfy and offer good support and adjustability, while there is plenty of room for two large adults in the rear seat.
The A/C works well as does the heat.
In this part of the country, the AWD is a real advantage during the winter months, although given the weather we've had this season, any car on any tire would have been just fine.
If you really need AWD, go for the Forester.
If you really don't, a 2WD CRV should offer better fuel economy and probably lower lifetime ownership cost.
I prefer the Forester, which is why we bought one over a CRV, but it's your call.
If you really want AWD, I don't think any maker offers a system superior to Subaru's.

Like you, when shopping for a vehicle for the wife, the choices were CR-V, Rav4, and Outback. All good. You don't need AWD where you live. Let her pick what she wants. Win-win for you.

Don't the Subs have known head gasket issues?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Subaru Forester AWD v Honda base CRV 2WD
Subaru any day, no contest between these two. Subaru is head and shoulders above the Honda in every mechanical way.
The Honda 4WD isn't even in the same class as Subaru.

+1. Forester.

Cant compare a Honda to a Subaru! Whats wrong with you.

btw: The CR-V isnt much loved.

Yes, some years ago Subarus had HG problems which are now fixed. Honda had transmission and oil burning problems with some engines and presume they are fixed?

You can't go wrong with either choice. I know both have ridiculously high resale values in my area, but people typically buy them because of the snow.

You will get better fuel economy with the Honda, but like you say, a base model CR-V with 4wd will be at least $3K more than the Soobie.

Joel

Thanks for all the help, if there are any more CRV/forester owners, that is always nice to add to the discussion.
I live in TX, but we roadtrip alot, atleast 2-3 weeks of the year, varying areas of the country, so the AWD is what I was liking.
Any real-world MPG figures from any of you BITOG'ers for any of these vehicles?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Like you, when shopping for a vehicle for the wife, the choices were CR-V, Rav4, and Outback. All good. You don't need AWD where you live. Let her pick what she wants. Win-win for you.

Don't the Subs have known head gasket issues?

We bought the Forester for my wife, who liked and still likes it.
The early 2.5 liter did have HG issues.
These have long since been solved, and the 2012 Forester uses an entirely new engine anyway, which now has timing chains rather than the timing belts our Forester has.

I like the Forester more than the Outback. Hopefully, when I grow out of my go-fast phase, the Forester will be offered with a CVT. FB motor + CVT tranny sounds like a win to me.
smile.gif

If were in the market now, however, I'd go for the Outback. It just seems like the best AWD bang for the buck. The gas mileage with the CVT is pretty phenominal, too!

Quote:

Its called 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring.
Multiple blown transmissions, broken automatic doors held together with discount hardware store quality cables and hardware, failed steering rack, failed PS pump x3, struts, calipers, a very expensive monitor screen, you name it its failed on this refugee from a scrap heap.

An 05 Scooby is still a youngster with 95K on the clock while this thing has 3 wheels in the scrap yard and the fourth is sliding in on a banana peel.
Just an awful cheaply built vehicle, nice seats though.

Edit: Sorry if this offends any Honda owners but i work on this thing all the time and know the problems and cost it took to keep this car on the road.
I call it as i see it.

Last edited:
Quote:

Multiple blown transmissions, broken automatic doors held together with discount hardware store quality cables and hardware, failed steering rack, failed PS pump x3, struts, calipers, a very expensive monitor screen, you name it its failed on this refugee from a scrap heap.
An 05 Scooby is still a youngster with 95K on the clock while this thing has 3 wheels in the scrap yard and the fourth is sliding in on a banana peel.

Edit: Sorry if this offends any Honda owners but i work on this thing all the time and know the problems and cost it took to keep this car on the road.
I call it as i see it.

Wow, we've owned Hondas for thirty-six years and I never would have guessed that a premium edition Ody could be that bad.
We've never had much trouble with the six Hondas we've owned.
I feel sorry for the owner.
Both Subies have been as good as any Honda we've had, though, meaning no real problems and good daily reliability.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Quote:

I call it as i see it.

Wow, we've owned Hondas for thirty-six years and I never would have guessed that a premium edition Ody could be that bad.
We've never had much trouble with the six Hondas we've owned.
I feel sorry for the owner.
Both Subies have been as good as any Honda we've had, though, meaning no real problems and good daily reliability.

My MIL's Ody has been that bad as well FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back