Oil selection question - 2003 Corvette, 68K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2003 Corvette C5, 68K miles, I am the third owner and the car is stock.

402735_2597366179003_1400212990_31958669_1512086571_n.jpg

The previous owner picked it up when it had 26K miles, in 2006. He had it maintained at the Chevrolet dealer where purchased and provided me a print out of all maintenance conducted. The oil and filter were changed every 3-5K miles with M1 5W-30 and an AC Delco filer. The factory fill for the car is Mobil 1 and M1 5W-30 is indicated on the oil fill cap.

I live at 5,000 feet elevation in the Northeast Sierra mountain range, two miles up a 5% grade. We get snow and ice and it can stay around for a few weeks at a time. So the car may be garaged for a week to a month at a time. I drive 70-75 when the roads are clear. The temperature in the summer can get up to the high 90s/low 100s for a few weeks. "Town" is a 15 mile highway drive away and the monthly COSTCO run is a 140 mile round trip. The vehicle will see a 1,300 mile trip or two each year to San Diego, via the Sierra mountain range and the Mojave Desert. I expect the car to see 5-6K miles annually.

I plan on sticking with M1 in a 5W-30 grade and using a NAPA Gold filter FIL 1042 and changing annually in the fall. I am thinking of going with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30.

Stuff from the OM…

The engine requires a special engine oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this standard may be identified as synthetic, and should also be identified with the American Petroleum Institute Certified for Gasoline Engines starburst symbol. However, not all synthetic API oils with the starburst symbol will meet this GM standard. You should look for and use only oil that meets GM Standard GM4718M. SAE 5W-30 is best for your vehicle. However, you can use SAE 10W-30 if it’s going to be 0°F (-1 8°C) or above.

Engine Oil Scheduled Maintenance

Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the Engine Oil Life System (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). Reset the system. Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerable. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed. When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE OIL SOON message will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next two times you stop for fuel. It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

Your thoughts are welcome…

Murman

If there's no leaks or excessive consumption, I wouldn't worry too much about using a high mileage oil. Stick with what's worked (i.e. the M1 5w-30). I don't know if oils meeting dexos1 still carry the GM4718M spec on the bottle anymore, but anything meeting dexos1 would, in my opinion, be sufficient. So, in addition to M1, you could choose PP, PU, QSUD, among many other choices.

For OCI, well, follow the monitor or change once per year, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Murman
I am thinking of going with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30.

^^I`d use this.

Great interior and exterior colors. Enjoy !!

Unless you're experiencng blue smoke at start up ( valve guides ) and/or excessive oi consumption ( 1 Qt/ 1K miles )
you really don't need to use any high mileage oils.

We've been using Mobil 1 5W30 in both our ZO6 and ZR1 with
no problems whatsoever. We are, however, using Amsoil's EA filters in all our high performance cars because of their
superb filtration and flow.

Sharp car. Ahhh... a Vette that has the lights that pop up. Those were the days.

I'd stick with M1 5W-30 and a P1 filter or better (the Napa Gold you're thinking of going with is the same as a P1, but you can often get P1s cheaper using coupon codes at AAP).

Nice car!
smile.gif

No need to go with the high mileage Mobil 1, the regular M1 would work just fine.

I've had my Corvette for 7 1/2 years now and have had good luck running German Castrol 0w30, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. I've got a good engine in mine, even with almost 130k on it, it only consumes about a 1/2 quart of oil every 7000 miles. I've been doing all of my oil changes according to the oil life monitor, so they've typically been around every 7000 miles or so.

FWIW, I'm putting regular Mobil 1 5w30 in it on the next oil change (which will be happening in the next few weeks) I've been using the Fram Extended Guard filters for the past little while, although there is an M1 filter on it right now (and I'm gonna run it for the next oci as well)

Thank you for the input, folks!

388920_2169680167120_1400212990_31800949_963655324_n.jpg

The High Mileage M1 5W-30 is not GM4718M certified, so it will be the same as it ever was. M1 5W-30

Murman

Nice, a 50th Anniversary with the Shale interior is very nice.

I've had my '03 Z06 for a few years now. Been using Amsoil 5W-30 or 0W-30 Signature Series with their EaO filter since I've bought the car.

Same with the transmission, differential, brake, power steering and clutch fluid. All Amsoil fluids in the Z06 for me.

Are you or the previous owner a military officer? Looks like a blue DoD sticker on the lower windshield.

@ Edmond - Good catch on the sticker. I am a retired Naval Officer (Mustang). I currently work for the Department of the Army, Civil Service.

I picked this up last October, so I have had it for four months. Prior to this car I had a 2000 Trans Am 5.7L M6. The TA needed tires and some how I wound up on Auto Trader looking at Vettes... Oh well.

The C5 has the A4 and performance rear axle ratio (3.15). I don't miss the clutch, or the black paint, or the black leather seats... I will be glad when the weather gets warmer so I can do a little maintenance/repairs. The HVAC control needs the display resistors re-soldered and I need to replace a relay in the right door control module.

Are you a service member?

Murman,

Yes, I'm an Army Officer.

I need the HVAC work done as well. The display is dim at times. I've already taken the dash apart and removed the HVAC display. It's really easy to take the dash apart.

I redid the interior last fall:

interior2.jpg

interior1.jpg

Cool. Thank you for your service!

Red and black. Looking good. Black paint looks so sweet, but can be a real PITA... I am sure you know. Do you get "Love Bugs" in LA?

I want to get a console cover. My stock cover is a brick. I may do that when I fix the HVAC display.

This was my three season daily driver...

6568_1085763109871_1400212990_30214071_2180785_n.jpg

It consumed one day every other weekend. I sold the TA to my son-in-law.

Nice ride. I would continue with M1 5w30. No need to go HM yet, especially if the motor isn't drinking or leaking oil.

Castrol Syntec carries all the latest GM specs, also its usually on sale with very good filters for $30.

If it ain't busted, don't try to fix it. Patman is on point, as well.

Your choice of M1 and a quality filter will do just fine.

I'd personally be more concerned about possible coolant replacement, changing out the ATF, getting fresh synthetic in there...

Cheers! & Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Edmond
Murman,

Yes, I'm an Army Officer.

I need the HVAC work done as well. The display is dim at times. I've already taken the dash apart and removed the HVAC display. It's really easy to take the dash apart.

I redid the interior last fall:

interior2.jpg

interior1.jpg

Is that an LG delrin shift knob on there??

193.jpg

Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...

5W-30 M1 and a good filter. I got it.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back