Motorcraft FL-820s Cut Open (7,480 Miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is the filter from my last OC (7,480 miles) using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20. Apologies for the sideways position of some of the pictures--I am not sure why ImageShack does this.

I think it looks very good; thoughts and comments always welcome.

Motorcraft Filter Element:
mc1d.jpg

Motorcraft Filter Element Seam:
mc1ai.jpg

Motorcraft Filter Bottom:
mc2z.jpg

Motorcraft Filter Top:
mc2a.jpg

Motorcraft ADBV (Silicone) Base Side:
mc3yq.jpg

Motorcraft ADBV (Silicone) Filter Side:
mc4z.jpg

Motorcraft Baseplate (Filter Side):
mc5i.jpg

Motorcraft Baseplate (Gasket Side:
mc6v.jpg

Motorcraft Bypass Plate (Filter Side):
mc7p.jpg

Motorcraft Bypass Plate (Can Side):
mc8z.jpg

Motorcraft Filter Measurement (Side):
mc9k.jpg

Motorcraft Filter Measurement (Top):
mc10mkdceah.jpg

Motorcraft Can Measurement (Side):
mc11g.jpg

Another good looking FL-820s. Looks like it served you very well. I've been using those on my Duratecs for years, but my stash finally ran out so I'm switching to Puro Classics for a while. I got 'em for a buck a piece after Metal Wars MIR. Hope I don't regret it.

Motorcraft seems to be a great built filter. There was a link on another thread that had a comparison of motorcraft to all the other filters out there and the motorcraft looked like one of the best out there. Interestingly enough that comparison included almost every other filter manufacturer out there except purolator, coincidence? I think not.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Do all Motorcraft filters use the silicone ADBV?

No ... it will usually have an "S" after the filter number signifying it has a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Is that varnish around the threaded part?

No; all of the oil did not drain out and I wiped up some of it, but there was some left. No varnish in the filter or the engine...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's fine. If you look at the pic, you'll see why I thought it might be.

Quite right and no worries. Photos do not always show things in the best of angles.

Great pics! Just curious does the bypass plate do the same thing as the bypass spring on the threaded side in the older Motorcraft oil filters? Ford for years said to use oil filters with the bypass spring in the threaded end of the oil filter and not in the dome of the oil filter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Great pics! Just curious does the bypass plate do the same thing as the bypass spring on the threaded side in the older Motorcraft oil filters? Ford for years said to use oil filters with the bypass spring in the threaded end of the oil filter and not in the dome of the oil filter.

Whimsey

This probably bad terminology on my part. The bypass is on the threaded end; the "bypass plate" as I named it merely holds tension against the filter to the ADBV can do its job.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
In the picture of the seam is it starting to come apart at the top of it because it kinda looks that way. If not looks great.

I went back and checked and it seems like that part of the edge was not completely glued (just at the outer edge). I pulled it apart and it was glued all the way to the inner pleat. It looked like when the paper was glued to the cap, a bit of the cap glue went between the edges and held that part open (but only about 1/16" into the seam).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back