'01 RX-300 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my wifes Lexus RX-300 AWD, the is a button on the shifter console for "ECT SNOW"(Electronic Controled Traction/SNOW). This allows the tranny to start off in 2nd gear when on slippery surfaces/inclines(from a dead stop).

Many auto trannys today have a something similar where, by moving the shift lever over to (Manual/"M"), this allows the driver to start off in gears other than 1st and also to up or down shift at will!

I actually like the lack of the 1st to 2nd shift when using the "ECT Snow" mode in her car. I never like this trannys 1-2 shift anyway, as it is long an drawn out prior to shifting into 2nd gear and has always been this way. Apon harder or full throttle, the 1-2 shift is normal as a tranny should be but, when driving easy and doing lots of stop & go driving, it can become annoying.

Including the heat of the summer, I have many times, driven all day with the "ECT Snow" button engauged and the tranny is nice and smooth without any issues to report and it has made the driving with lots of passengers, nice and relaxing for all aboard. I am also the guy who drive when traveling with other passengers as I don't drive, accelerate or corner aggressively, giving those aboard a nice, pleasurable trip. When my wife drives, my neck hurts and passengers are sliding all over each other
smile.gif
He-he-he!

My question is:

Will I, or am I hurting anything or the tranny by using the ECT Snow Mode as often as I do, even in summer/dry weather?

Oh, by the way, I change the tranny fluid more often than probably needed(12-18 months)

Thanks,
CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Will I, or am I hurting anything or the tranny by using the ECT Snow Mode as often as I do, even in summer/dry weather?

I doubt it. Otherwise, the owner's manual would probably mention to only use this mode sparingly when needed.

BTW, the wife's C300 has something similar - they call it the comfort mode (C). This results in car always starting in 2nd gear (7-speed trans) and smoother shifts. However, the car feels more anemic in this mode - it shifts way too early for my liking and is a bit slow from the get go, so whenever I drive it, I always switch it to (S) mode.

I would imagine that your gas mileage will be lower without using first gear. As to any transmission damage, I doubt it.

If you do a lot of summer city driving I would be concerned about the transmission overheating. In this case I would use the normal range.

I do agree with you that some new cars that use electronic throttles (my Murano) use too aggressive "throttle tip in" , which makes them feel more powerful, but does cause some jerking upon starting out. I have trouble driving my Wife's Munrano smoothly after driving my other cars (yes, even my Corvette).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I doubt it. Otherwise, the owner's manual would probably mention to only use this mode sparingly when needed.

BTW, the wife's C300 has something similar - they call it the comfort mode (C). This results in car always starting in 2nd gear (7-speed trans) and smoother shifts. However, the car feels more anemic in this mode - it shifts way too early for my liking and is a bit slow from the get go, so whenever I drive it, I always switch it to (S) mode.

Anemic yes! Lethargic is the word that I use when describing the take off from a stand still! Otherwise, the rest of the acceleration while cruising is as normal(30-50 mph or 40-60 mph). But, I use this "ECT Snow" mode when driving very slowly around down while going from signal light to signal light on the main drag where the local Mall and resturants are located.

When I need more take off from a complete stop, I'll dissenguage the mode and more throttle/WOT take off is normal and the 1-2 shift is crisp as in most Toyota's. It's only the "like grandpa" type of driving that I dislike the 1-2 shift.

I was at the US/Canada boarder on a holiday this past summer and the line of vehicle to cross the boarder was about 45-60 min. I used the "ECT SNOW" mode then.

I have never noticed any MPG penalty when using the "ECT SNOW" mode as I am easy while doing so and the MPG display on the dash screen seems no different than the norm for this car nor does my personal calculated MPG after filling up again. If at all, the MPG is .02mpg
wink.gif
better which is insignificant!

And too, if there is much or any tranny slippage, it's nothing I notice(except for the lethargic takeoff)and as mentioned, I change the ATF often as these trannys do have a "high for a Toyota/Lexus" failure rate!

But, now after owning the RX for 11 years, everything is still OK, PTL!

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. Also found this on ClubLexus

CB

RxMikeApril 29, 2005, 10:28 pm
ECT SNOW on the Rx 300.

ECT = Electronically Controlled Transmission.

SNOW = For driving in potentially slippery / snow / icing conditions.

Press this button when driving in above conditions to reduce the onset if inadvertant wheel spin.

It desensitises the throttle pedal and also prevents the Rx from selecting first gear as it will force the gearbox to pull away from standstill using second gear.

Can be used all the time and will not increase fuel consumption as it purely manages the gear changes and throttle sensetivity.

Incidently, using this mode is the only way to prevent the gearbox lurching from slow speed starts, (see other threads), so it is useful if driving in slow spped traffic conditions.

Hope this helps

RxMike.

Last edited:
Nope, you won't cause any damage.

I only use the snow mode, when there's light fluffy snow, if it's deep I prefer driving without the snow mode on.

I use the power mode regularly. The "power" mode makes the RX downshift faster, and go to redline before shifting. Overall more responsive, especially with the throttle cable mod I did.

The 1-2 shift is normal, it's just the nature of the beast. I prefer it over other transmissions. At least the 1-2 shift doesn't have any shift shock, it's smooth as butter, just more prolonged. lol

Last edited:
Yes the tranny does shift smoothly without any "shiftshock".

The more responces that I get the better I feel about using the ECT SNOW mode.

Thanks all,
CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back