PLEASE.........NEED HELP WITH ENGINE PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the truck about 3 years ago. When I bought the truck it had a small knocking sound, which just sounded like a lifter to me. It had 195,000 miles on it and were all highway miles. I ran a check on the vehicle and it had no recorded accidents and showed regular tune ups and oil changes.
I bought the truck and had it serviced including spark plugs and transmission fluid and filter.
I had my 2002 Ford F-150, which has 244,000 miles on it, in the Ford Service department for a Free Service Inspection they were offering on Monday. The main reason for the inspection was because the knocking has gotten alot worse. Still hears like a lifter tapping and now a knocking.
Upon inspection, they came back with the results and recommendations.
Has a bad valve.
Cooling flush
Battery
Power Steering
Engine Leaking Oil-Unable to determine leak
Brake Fluid
Horn Inoperable
Front Pinion Seal on Rear Differencial-Small Leak 1.5
Rear Differencial Fluid slightly burnt
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Front Pads
Front Rear and Shocks
Transfluid
They proceeded to try and find the oil leak. Washed the engine all up and let it dry. Started it up and was unable to find where the leak was coming from. Said they could put dye in and let me run it about a week to determine where it was coming from.
Next day they called and recommended for the oil leak
Valve Covers
Front Cover
Oil Pan Gasket
All for just $2500. That's not including the rest of their recommendations. Or an new engine for $7500.
I told them I don't have that kind of money to put into a vehicle with that many miles.
Here IS what I had them do.
Brake system flush
New front brake pads
Air filter
Fuel filters
Spark plugs
New rotars
New pcv valve
I did not let them do the
Valve covers
Front cover
Oil pan gasket
Horn
Coolant flush
Battery
Power steering flush
Pinion seal
Rear differencial flush
Shocks
Transmission flush-was afraid it might mess up the transmission
I am seriously considering using Permatech engine oil stop leak for the engine leaks
and Lucas transmission fix stop slip for a transmission leak they say it has.
I would appreciate any opion you may have.
My son is using this truck in San Angelo and it is his ONLY means of transportation to and from work and to get his wife to the baby doctor. I haven't actually had the chance to look at the truck and my son knows nothing mechanical about vehicles.
I know that the horn doesn't work, and the steering jerks occasionally when turning. The truck never runs hot. Sometimes while at a red light with the brake applied it seems like it still wants to move forward.Probably could use shocks at some point.
I don't know that there is anything that could be done about the knocking and I'm not even sure what that knocking is. Actually sounds like a lifter tapping along with something knocking.It does sound pretty bad though.

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify

View All Topics Index

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Add Signature

You can get a replacement crate engine for about $2500, but if it needs that kind of work and you or your son do not have the mechanical ability, (I hate to say this to people) I recommend trading it in for a smaller car/vehicle with less mileage. The gas mileage benefit will off set the cost.

Given what you posted, it sounds like your engine has worse problems than a couple of leaks.

I want to hear it if you could post a sound of it up that would be great. I'd probably drive it till it wouldn't run and in the mean time save money for something else. Or if its just a bad valve you could replace the heads . Kinda pricey but is cheaper than a new motor. Honestly I wouldn't listen to that shop. Its a high mileage truck. Horn would cost you 20 bucks to fix. Shocks unless there making clunking noises who cares for now. PVC valve is less than 10 bucks . The oil leaks wont hurt anything just add oil maybe use some maxlife it will help if they aren't real bad. Its on sale right now at oreilly to. Battery is it still working if so don't worry about it. Flushes .....who cares. I mean you can do those easily yourself. If your son doesn't know anything have him buy a 25 dollar tool set and a chiltpns book at a part store and do the simple stuff. If it was mine I wouldn't do anything until I figured out the knocking. If it really is a valve replace them. Its costly but its cheaper than the alternatives except you could buy another car but there's nothing cheap about that

As for the oil leak , you can try White Shepard oil stop leak .If you are not willing to spend the money to mechanically fix the leak , this is a good option. I have seen it work before , may help. Id skip the Lucas and just use lubegard red in the transmission.

It sounds like the truck is ready to scrap....to much to dump in a truck thats not worth it.

Yep, that trucks ready for the scrap yard. And when you posted "Sometimes while at a red light with the brake applied it seems like it still wants to move forward." Sounds like you also have a brake system problem too.

Sounds like a unsafe truck for your son and his wife. They need to try to find something more reliable. And stop dumping anymore money into a money pit. At least I would with a wife seeing a "baby doctor". That's my 2cents.

sounds like its time for a new(different) truck or car.

I wouldnt put a penny in it. how did they diagnose this bad valve anyway?

Place 2 bricks of C4 under truck, drive 3 miles away from said truck. set off charge, return to orignal site and see if u can find said truck. IMHO

Sounds like you order everything that are maintenance items but will not fix the leak??

I can be wrong but no chemicals will fix a valve cover leak or headgasket leak or any o-ring leaks of some sort. Once the gasket is gone, they are gone.

A couple of strategies:
1. drive it till it dies (as suggested above).
2. sell it while you can. Find a more reliable Toyota or Honda as a substitute.

I know, I am not helping in terms of trying to fix the truck. Unfortunately, I don't have psychic ability and probably cannot even diagnose the truck from far away. LOL!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back