Oil rec for a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this thing yesterday, 108,000 miles, 4.7 HO, its a loaded out limited model. Its in very nice condition. It doesn't leak anywhere and passed an inspection.

I'm thinking Mobil 1 10w-30 HM, stout oil for a stout motor.
grin.gif
10w-30 is actually the recommended grade.

Sounds like a perfect choice to me.. Or use M1 5w-30 in the winter right now.. Will serve just as well.

Mobil 1 doesn't tend to produce very good wear UOA's in Jeeps. You're right to stick with the 10w30 though, Chrysler went out of their way to spec it for a reason.

I'd suggest Valvoline Maxlife 10w30, or one of the SOPUS syns for the 4.7 like Platinum or Ultra, for whatever reason they seem to get along well.

Definitely stay with a high quality, high detergent 10w30 and IMO there's nothing to be gained by extending change intervals on a 4.7 either. The 4.7 doesn't tolerate neglect, and while not a notorious sludger it will sludge if not diligently attended to. Since you really don't know what kind of care it's had in it's history go ahead and pamper it now. JMO.

What KC said, my 4.7 likes QSUD 10w30, you can get 6k OCI's out of it. They don't tolerate neglect. If you want larger filter Wix 51515, Napa Gold 1515, Purolator and P1 30001, and Fram XG8 will all fit. Just a tad bigger.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back