Anyone Ever Use PermaTech Engine Oil Stop Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Ford F-150 that has 244,000 miles on the engine. I had it in the Ford Service department a couple of days ago. They told me is was leaking oil but they could not determine where the oil leak was coming from without tearing into the engine which would cost me $2,400. I told them not to mess with the engine.
I am considering using the PermaTech engine oil stop leak.
Has anyone ever used this product?
Is it a good product to use? Or, is there a better product to use?

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
Try Valvoline Maxlife.

X2, Exactly what I was going to say.

Sounds like a minor leak if they can't even tell where it is, I wouldn't want them tearing it up either.

Try a high mileage oil for a few oil changes first. That's more cost effective and more likely to work than additives.

If the high mileage oil doesn't fix it, you'll have to spend some money to fix it.

Those stop leaks can swell seals but ruin them for life.Dont risk add on sealers.

I would try Auto-Rx, in my opinion, you want to condition the seals rather than swell them. The HM oils swell the seals. If the Auto-Rx does not work (and it may get worse before it gets better) you can then try a HM oil.

+1 on the advice to skip any/all stop leak.

Have you hot water pressure washed the engine and then really looked for a leak. Add a dye to the oil and use the special light and glasses to find it?

How about the obvious areas, like oil sender, oil filter, oil filter mounting base, dipstick tube, valve cover, or head gasket? None of these areas will be fixed by a HM oil or Auto-Rx.

What shape is the truck in? Are you looking to fix it up and keep it for several years or just keep it going as cheaply as possible?

Does oil drip on the driveway? Is the engine wet? What color is the tailpipe? Maybe valve stems and/or seals?

If you really like the truck, consider a reman engine. With your mileage already, the engine does not have too many miles left.

Or, buy oil at the Dollar Store and keep a case in the truck.

^I agree, as far as initial price point.

HM oil doesn't work? Then perhaps try something like ARx or get the seal replaced.

And give a HM oil a couple oil changes at least to see results or even at least try a 2nd HM oil brand because some generate different response based on engine/seal in question, etc. Not really documented but noted by HM oil users trying to fix leaks in the past. Probably both did something to fix the leak, lol.

Last edited:
I bought the truck about 3 years ago. When I bought the truck it had a small knocking sound, which just sounded like a lifter to me. It had 195,000 miles on it and were all highway miles. I ran a check on the vehicle and it had no recorded accidents and showed regular tune ups and oil changes.
I bought the truck and had it serviced including spark plugs and transmission fluid and filter.
I had my 2002 Ford F-150, which has 244,000 miles on it, in the Ford Service department for a Free Service Inspection they were offering on Monday. The main reason for the inspection was because the knocking has gotten alot worse. Still hears like a lifter tapping and now a knocking.
Upon inspection, they came back with the results and recommendations.
Has a bad valve.
Cooling flush
Battery
Power Steering
Engine Leaking Oil-Unable to determine leak
Brake Fluid
Horn Inoperable
Front Pinion Seal on Rear Differencial-Small Leak 1.5
Rear Differencial Fluid slightly burnt
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Front Pads
Front Rear and Shocks
Transfluid
They proceeded to try and find the oil leak. Washed the engine all up and let it dry. Started it up and was unable to find where the leak was coming from. Said they could put dye in and let me run it about a week to determine where it was coming from.
Next day they called and recommended for the oil leak
Valve Covers
Front Cover
Oil Pan Gasket
All for just $2500. That's not including the rest of their recommendations. Or an new engine for $7500.
I told them I don't have that kind of money to put into a vehicle with that many miles.
Here IS what I had them do.
Brake system flush
New front brake pads
Air filter
Fuel filters
Spark plugs
New rotars
New pcv valve
I did not let them do the
Valve covers
Front cover
Oil pan gasket
Horn
Coolant flush
Battery
Power steering flush
Pinion seal
Rear differencial flush
Shocks
Transmission flush-was afraid it might mess up the transmission
I am seriously considering using Permatech engine oil stop leak for the engine leaks
and Lucas transmission fix stop slip for a transmission leak they say it has.
I would appreciate any opion you may have.
My son is using this truck in San Angelo and it is his ONLY means of transportation to and from work and to get his wife to the baby doctor. I haven't actually had the chance to look at the truck and my son knows nothing mechanical about vehicles.
I know that the horn doesn't work, and the steering jerks occasionally when turning. The truck never runs hot. Sometimes while at a red light with the brake applied it seems like it still wants to move forward.Probably could use shocks at some point.
I don't know that there is anything that could be done about the knocking and I'm not even sure what that knocking is. Actually sounds like a lifter tapping along with something knocking.It does sound pretty bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back