1999 Honda Accord V6
4-16-04 Chevron 10W-40 6839miles TBN 0.9
1-30-05 Chevron 10W-30 4911miles TBN 1.9
4-23-06 Shell 5W-30 Formula 4557mile TBM 1.9
 -

Think I'm getting my nickel worth?
Costco oil about $13/case

[ May 04, 2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: quick_16 ]

Interesting. Iron, Copper and Lead are very low compared to the other OCI's. Looks like a pretty good 5,000 mile dino for the money.

Yes, I agree. And this is the "lowball" offering from Shell?

How long was this in service? I see you put approx 17k since the last UOA. You appear to be averaging 1k/month (if I'm thinking straight tonight). I would have expected the TBN to be a bit higher for a 4 month run. What type of service does this see?

80% urban travel. 95% up to temp duration trips. The wife's car. I'd have to check the time interval.
The skip in testing was because I was forced to swap oils as Costco stopped selling the Chevron and I was again without service intervals. Now that I have a good idea I plan change 5 to 6k with this glop I mean oil.
thanks

Great report, & on good cheap oil too. Congrats! I'm very interested in this, bought ~35 qts on sale- mainly to use for two full Auto-RX clean/Rinse cycles. Formula Shell 5w30 SL/GF-3, with Auto-RX, is in my car now. Glad to see such good results on your car.

Is your oil in the white bottle, says"Clean Engine Formula" on the label? I assume it's SL- is it GF-3 or GF-4? Both GF ratings are in my stash.

Edit: for anyone interested in this oil, the Target stores in my area have it in 5w30 & 10w40 weights only- for $1.35/qt. All I've seen has been SL rated, most is GF-4.

Excellent!
grin.gif

Not bad for 49 cent oil when it's on sale at Checkers!
cheers.gif

Thanks for doing a UOA on this oil!

Proves a good oil can do the job well!

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Wow, that is some good numbers.

I use this oil too when doing an Auto-RX rinse and it looks like it isn't a bad oil.

Not a robust additive pack, but for the money, it can't be bad.

Sometimes Walgreens has it on sale with coupon .

Has anyone seen GF4 SM Formula Shell? All the Shell I see is still SL rated.

Was the prior OCIs Chevron syn or blend? I usually see more moly in all my chevron dino
I use - more like 200-300.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Is your oil in the white bottle, says"Clean Engine Formula" on the label? I assume it's SL- is it GF-3 or GF-4?

Yes White Bottle
Has SL in the little API logo and
GF-4 on the bottle text.
Clean Engine Formula

Thanks for the nice comments, all.

I just got lucky on this.

I plan to push 6000 on next cycle. Don't want to leave in TBN on the table...lol

Isn't it funny that cheap oil pushed to the limit can yield good a better results that oil that cost 2X or 3X! What's with that???

Could it be that oil test results is more a function of that engine and how it's driven?

IMO Engines may not all go together the same way at the factory and may influence the UOA lab test more than oil.... in addition, as the engine is well broke-in, like this one, all the metal sluff off is less than when it's new and honing itself into a happy state.... maybe.. Who knows for sure.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:

Has anyone seen GF4 SM Formula Shell? All the Shell I see is still SL rated.

Same here all the Shell motor oil showing up in around here is old school SL rated only. Its funny I have not seen shell PCMO around here in decades. In the last year its showing up at a few places around here at cheap prices at all of them. They appear to dumping old stock SL from what I see.

I guess I'm missing something here. If the SL performs this well and is a good value. Why would you care about SM?

Good point. I have ~30 qts left, & will be using it in the Neon for some time to come. Heck, it may be Christmas by the time I finish all the Auto-RX cycles!

I think someone goofed and filled your bottles with Audi racing oil from Shell...but CONGRATULATIONS on a spectacular UOA

Mr. Magoo, I haven't seen *any* SM rated Formula Shell. Even the website mentions only SL so far.

I bought all my current stash on sale at Walgreens with coupons, in 5w30 & 10w30. It's all SL rated, the 5w30 is about half GF-3, half GF-4. The 10w30 is all GF-4. FS 5w30 seen at Target has all been SL/GF-4.

By George, it just makes one wonder how well this oil would do in SM, doesn't it! (Yup, I'm old enough to remember those cartoons!
grin.gif
)

Link: http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/product_details.php?code=50201

Update.
Whent to get some more Shell Formula 5W-30 at Costco this AM.
It jumped up some. It's now $1.5 / qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back