Why is Wix better than P1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of recommendations for Wix. Why choose it over a P1 for which I see a lot of recommendations also.

Both are great choices. The only thing about Wix is that their thread-end bypass generally results in less filtering media than an equivalent PureONE which has dome-end. But hoestly, the difference in filtering media probably won't make any practical difference in use.

Some don't like the spring used on the dome-end bypass on the PureONE and FEEL the Wix's thread-end bypass is a better, more reliable construction. Note my emphasis on "feel".

I've used dozens of both brands.

I see the two as equals and use whichever is on sale whenever I'm in a buying mood.

That said, I *do* prefer the thicker can of the Wix. But that's about it.

Right now, I'm using P1's... since at the time that I was in a buying mood, Advance had them for $5 each, minus the 20% discount = $4 each.

I have used both as well. I like the textured paint on the P1, but Wix are great filters too. I only buy when filters are included with an oil deal or on sale with a MIR.

They're both great filters. I use p1 because they're readily available and usually cheaper because of an OCI deal or rebate. Some people do not like the P1 due to the texture as there has been an overspray issue when they first began. The texture would end up on the gasket and threads, many people didn't like the thought of that grit possibly getting into their engine. Another reason why I check every filter before I purchase it. P1 are also built in USA while wix has moved some to other countries.

My local Napa has been selling me {Napa Gold} see "wix" filters for both my autos for about $3.00 each.. although i think im getting a discount (not asking for one). I like them, Ive used plenty of P1's but the AA in my town is who carries P1 and there another 4 miles down the road past Napa, think i will just stick with buying the Napa branded wix filters and call it a day

Last edited:
I think Wix are overrated. Wix are well constructed but Pureone has more media and better efficiency than Wix. Here is a comparison of a common size (Fram Ph5 equivalent):

WIX 51086

Filter area: 185 sq/in
ADBV material: Silicon
Average pore size: 35 µm
Smallest pore size: 16 µm

WIX 51334 50% multipass efficiency at 22 microns and 95% multipass efficiency at 40 microns

Purolator PureOne PL34631

Filter area: 330 sq/in
Average pore size: 24 µm
Smallest pore size: 11 µm

Fram Extra Guard PH5

ADBV material: Nitrile
Filter area: 183 sq/in
Average pore size: 32.5 µm
Smallest pore size: 14 µm

Fram Tough Guard TG5

Filter area: 274 sq/in
Average pore size: 26 µm
Smallest pore size: 12 µm

Fram Toughguard 99% Multipass Efficiency at 20 microns

I use Wix/Napa Golds and P1/Bosch interchangeably on my vehicles.

I use Purolator classics on my parents cars.

I like Purolators, but I have always had start up noise on my Jeep 4.0L when using PureOnes. I've tried about 5 different P1s and each gave start up noise. Purolator Classics and Wix/Napa Golds don't have any start up noise for me. Maybe it has something to do with the oil filter being horizontal on the 4.0L engine.
confused.gif

^Some apps prefer one over another, which is why I posted what I did earlier in this thread.

These are AFTERMARKET filters designed for a LARGE variety of apps, there are 'bound' to be some apps like yours which don't 'like' certain filters due to a spec.

For instance, could the issue you had with the P1 be the bypass relief on the filter(differential pressure across the media) relative to the OE factory filter? I mean, classic is basically the same as P1 just different canister, media, relief valve spec, and adbv material, right?

Although I've used WIX & NAPA Gold in the past, I don't usually anymore because they have less media area due to the base end bypass valve eating up internal space. IMO, base end bypass valves are over-rated anyway.

The loss of media area in something the size of an FL1A isn't a big deal, but for the little filter that is on my G, it's certainly more significant. This time, at least, I got the Bosch filters much cheaper than Wix. Locally, though, the Wix price is difficult to beat.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I like Purolators, but I have always had start up noise on my Jeep 4.0L when using PureOnes. I've tried about 5 different P1s and each gave start up noise. Purolator Classics and Wix/Napa Golds don't have any start up noise for me. Maybe it has something to do with the oil filter being horizontal on the 4.0L engine.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Some apps prefer one over another, which is why I posted what I did earlier in this thread.

These are AFTERMARKET filters designed for a LARGE variety of apps, there are 'bound' to be some apps like yours which don't 'like' certain filters due to a spec.

For instance, could the issue you had with the P1 be the bypass relief on the filter(differential pressure across the media) relative to the OE factory filter? I mean, classic is basically the same as P1 just different canister, media, relief valve spec, and adbv material, right?

perfect example is in this
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

Also, WIX usually has worse beta ratios than PureOne, and are more in-line with the Purolator Classic. WIX is a good filter, but for various reasons some people think other filters are better. Everyone has their own reasons for using the filters they do.

It's like the whole Napa Gold 1334 / Wix 51334 vs. PureONE PL14459 in the 5th and 6th gen civics. Both leave some total media to be desired, I sorta want to run a PL14610 on the VX one of these days, but IIRC the PL14459 has most media area? Not sure of the OE relief valve spec, but if it works, all good.

The post provi made was fun, too. Likin' the Wix/Napa Gold, M1 EP, among others.

yeah if the filter is mounted sideways I do not think it matters where the bypass is but if mounted upright then yes I would not want the bypass in the bottom just like my wife's van.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I sorta want to run a PL14610 on the VX one of these days, but IIRC the PL14459 has most media area?

Nope ... 14610 has more media area than the 14459 (105 vs 85 sq-in).

BUT, the 14459 has a better beta ratio than the 14610, and 14459 has the coil spring bypass valve vs. the flat spring in the 14610. I've used both, and would probably lean towards the 14459 due to the better beta and bypass spring design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back