Air Filter for 7th Gen Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had posted a few UOA's here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2504849#Post2504849 (scroll down for a more readable version of the UOA report).

The Silicon, Aluminum, and Iron numbers were troubling to me. During the first interval, I chucked out my K&N washable and installed a Mann filter, which I understood to be pretty well regarded, and had therefore bought 3 of, very cheaply, on Rockauto.com.

Well, after the latest UOA, I decided that I had an air filtration problem. Pulled the PCV out and it looked fine. Checked all hoses and connections. And I was left stumped. I pulled the first Mann filter out of there and put in a new one after
Well, I went over the media section of that filter with a fine-toothed comb and could find no imperfection whatsoever. The other day, however, I decided to take a second look.

What I noticed was that the rubber gasket on the strange plastic frame-surrounded filter was cheap and junky. It didn't have as flexible and thick a rubber material as the Fram filter I had taken a peek at last time I was in the local Wal-mart.

I can't figure out why I didn't think of doing so sooner, but I searched Amazon for all the filters available for my car and found that other people have made this same complaint about this model of Mann filters. Surprisingly, the Wix filter for this application has significantly less media and is also not well liked. The Fram (which is not in any way orange), has a perfect 4-star rating.

Of course, the logical thing to do would be to buy the Fram filter at Wal-mart for $12, print the $2 rebate form off Amazon, and solve the entire problem for $10 even. Of course that's not what I did, but rather I ordered a Denso model that costs over 3 times that much. I can't wait until it comes so I can replace it and feel like I've alleviated this issue. I'm only about 1000 miles into the current OCI, so I hope there hasn't been too much accumulation of dirt as yet.

The morals of the story are twofold: If your car has a non-standard filter with a weird extended plastic frame like this one, don't rely on general "Brand X is good, Brand Y is bad" logic, but do the research. And secondly, never trust me to make a logical decision over an emotional one when it comes to maintaining my Civic. (That Denso filter better do my taxes and clip my toenails for the premium I paid for it over the Fram). Hopefully, by the time the Denso filter needs to get changed, I'll be better able to swallow my pride and use a product with the name Fram on it with confidence.

Is 7th gen up to 2005?

OEM from the dealer are like $15.00 although I don't recall who the actual manufacturer is.

Let us know how the Denso is, I normally like their stuff.

Good call. To be honest I have a Fram toughgard air filter in my 8th gen right now and when I first opened the box to even see if I wanted to buy it, it met my expectations just fine. It seems like a well made filter and although I am not doing UOA's, it seems to be doing its job just fine, and it fit well in the air filter box when I installed it.

I am sure the one for 3x the cost will be good too, though. ha!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Is 7th gen up to 2005?

Yes indeed. 2001-2005. Previous generation had a "normal" rectangular drop-in style filter. The filter in question has a square or rectangular filter area, but it has an oddly-shaped plastic frame with a rubber gasket on the edge of it. Don't know why or what the later models have.

OEM from the dealer are like $15.00 although I don't recall who the actual manufacturer is.

Let us know how the Denso is, I normally like their stuff.

$15 from Majestic plus shipping, or $22+ locally. None of the dealerships seem to want to tell me who the manufacturer is. A local auto parts store told me 3 or 4 different brands were listed as OEM, and that list included some of the less well-regarded examples. I decided not to take the risk that the dealership would sell me something other than what the car had when it came off the line.

I will report back on the Denso once it arrives.

I'm interested in the Denso, I've been using Honda but recall that the last one was visibly different from the existing one in the appearance (and color IIRC) of the filter media.

My dealer treats me pretty good as long as I deal with one specific parts guy. He seems to recognize that there are plenty of OEM Honda part discounters and rarely quotes a price that makes it worth my while to go else where
wink.gif

I'm interested in the Denso, I've been using Honda but recall that the last one was visibly different from the existing one in the appearance (and color IIRC) of the filter media.

Yeah, my understanding is that what you get over the counter at Honda isn't necessarily what was in the car when it rolled off the assembly line.

My dealer treats me pretty good as long as I deal with one specific parts guy. He seems to recognize that there are plenty of OEM Honda part discounters and rarely quotes a price that makes it worth my while to go else where
wink.gif

Wish I could say the same. Mine doesn't seem to care that I walk out and order from H and A or Majestic. They don't deviate from list price.

I'll try to get a few photos posted somewhere and definitely leave my thoughts on the Denso filter once it arrives. Looks to sell for up to $75 or $80 bucks, although I got it on Amazon for about $36. Looks like it has gray media, and plenty of it. Let's hope the gasket is quality. The one good thing about the K&N was that it was all rubber, no hard plastic, so I know it sealed well.

What color's your Civic? How many miles? Auto or manual and how is your fuel economy?

Quote:
What color's your Civic? How many miles? Auto or manual and how is your fuel economy?

Silver, Automatic, about 92,000 and usually around 36.

I got a Purolater Classic filter for my Scion that was made much the same way, had a plastic frame with a rubber gasket around it and I was not impressed with the way it fit at all. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket filters for my car are made the same way, some using a rubber gasket, others using a foam gasket glued to the top which usually isn't glued on straight. I finally went and got a factory Denso filter from my local toyota dealer and am much happier with it. My wife ordered me an AFE Pro Dry S filter for Valentines Day though, so I'm gonna give that a shot once this filter is done.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Isn't Denso the ODM for the OEM air/oil filter for Toyota(scion) and Honda(acura)?

Don't know, but wouldn't be surprised. I am pretty sure Denso was the original manufacturer of the O2 sensors and spark plugs.

But I'm very confident that the filters the Dealership is hocking for $15-$22 aren't Denso. Anyone work at a Honda dealership or know someone who does that can confirm who is currently making these for Honda in USA?

^It could also depend on the app. New cars with warranties 'probably' still get the goods. I'd be surprised if the dealer still had air filters for my '92 Civic, on the other hand, at least 'original equipment' that is.

Denso is oe for toyota/scion. The original air filter that came in mine from the factory was a denso made in japan. The replacement I bought at the dealer is a denso made in the usa. It looks just as good quality wise if not better than the japanese filter

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Denso is oe for toyota/scion. The original air filter that came in mine from the factory was a denso made in japan. The replacement I bought at the dealer is a denso made in the usa. It looks just as good quality wise if not better than the japanese filter

Ha, this makes me want to just run down to the dealer for gags to see what their 'offering' would be for my '92.
banana2.gif

AFE ProDryS (cone, for CAI) has consistently.given below 2ppm Si.
K&N oiled cone filter was giving 3-5ppm initially but after just 4k miles the numbers kept doubling...
OEM Mann panel filter gave 2-4ppm Si
AFE ProDryS panel (325i) gave 1-2ppm consistently
AFE ProDry panel (740i) has been in since I got the car practically and has never shown higher than 3ppm Si

Originally Posted By: nleksan
AFE ProDryS (cone, for CAI) has consistently.given below 2ppm Si.
K&N oiled cone filter was giving 3-5ppm initially but after just 4k miles the numbers kept doubling...
OEM Mann panel filter gave 2-4ppm Si
AFE ProDryS panel (325i) gave 1-2ppm consistently
AFE ProDry panel (740i) has been in since I got the car practically and has never shown higher than 3ppm Si

I think the Mann media is perfectly good. The problem I have is that this particular filter has a large plastic frame that has a rubber gasket on the outside of it and I don't think the Mann seals up well. The Fram CA8911 is visibly superior.

The Wix is the one where the filter media seems cheap. it has half the pleats and looks/feels cheaper. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just another brand I considered in high regard that isn't the best in this specific instance.

Spending $36 on a Denso filter when the seemingly well-made Fram is widely available for $12 with a $2 MIR was overkill. Putting in a CAI just so I could use the AEM cone filter would be serious overkill.

The Denso filter came in the mail yesterday, but I got home late and didn't have a chance to take photos. I did quickly compare it to my last unused Mann Filter.

The plastic frame on the Denso has some extra crossmembers in the open section of the frame. It has "Made in Japan" molded into the plastic frame. The Mann doesn't say where it's made on the frame that I can find, but I didn't fully inspect the box. Guessing China.

I didn't even take it out of the sealed plastic bag, but I felt the gasket material and it is softer (in a good should-create-a-better-seal type of way) than the Mann gasket.

They both have a ton of pleats, but there's a different texture/feel to the media, which is red in both cases, despite the photo on Amazon showing gray media for the Denso.

I have taken a few more looks at the Fram filter at the Wal-mart a few times since my last post. It has substantially less media, but also seems to have the softer gasket material. So this would probably work fine, but might require more frequent changes. It also seems like it would tear or have holes punched in it more easily than the media on either the Mann or Denso filters. I wonder if I could buy the Fram, take the rubber gasket and put it on the Mann and create a Frankenfilter to rival the Denso. Photos to follow. Overall, nothing about the Denso notably justifies the price, but all the minor details taken in their totality might. Of course, I bought the last 2 I could find on the great wide internets for >$40. Amazon's price is up to about $42 and RockAuto hasn't restocked the part as yet.

^Have you compared the Denso to a factory/dealer offered part? See what they pull out and compare it to the Denso, then report back!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back