2007 suburban says overheated but is not

Status
Not open for further replies.
my work vehicle is a 2007 suburban 2500 3/4 ton w/350? 79,000 miles and 20 hour a day running. now shows temp gauge totally cold as in not working - usually shows lower 1/4 as somewhat cold, now totally cold and message panel says engine hot, shutting off a/c, run idle only, or words to that effect. I'm guessing this is limp home mode. This happens even when just started after cold, never appears to be overheating. What is cause and solution? Temp sender? is that an easy quick replace? would t/stat link to this? thoughts? comments? probably same setup as pick up 3/4 ton.Thanks.

I'd check your coolant level first - there's a chance that if the coolant is low it's not covering the temp sensor used for your gauge and giving false reading.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I'd check your coolant level first - there's a chance that if the coolant is low it's not covering the temp sensor used for your gauge and giving false reading.

Maybe, but not likely. The coolant is circulating, not like an oil sump level sensor. And he said it doesn't run hot, just reads hot. But check anyways. Also, do a pressure test (free rent at AutoZone, etc.)

Temp sensor problem is very possible. You might have 1, 2, or 3 of them. One for gauge and one or 2 for fan(s) thru the PCM. Do you have a single belt driven fan, one electric, 2 electric, or one of each? So figuring out which sensor is an issue, if that is even the problem. If you have electric(s) only, do they kick on? Since you say it doesn't run hot, seems like the temp sensor for the gauge.

20 hours a day!!! Must get hot enough for some fan to run. I don't know the specifics of your SUV, but someone here surely will. I'll bet there is a forum just for your model also.

This is one reason I always buy a FSM for my cars. Some day soon they won't be available on paper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
check the coolant asap in the radiator maybe its getting really hot but there is no coolant in the engine to make the gauge work

You would get steam and that would activate the sender.

Just for the record isn't this engine likely a 6.0 or 6.2 or something like that? Just in case the OP has to go somewhere to describe the issue.

I agree on premise that it sounds like a sensor issue.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Just for the record isn't this engine likely a 6.0 or 6.2 or something like that? Just in case the OP has to go somewhere to describe the issue.

I agree on premise that it sounds like a sensor issue.

You are correct. The 3/4 ton gets the 6.0L and has manual clutch fan cooling in place of electric fans in approx 70% of them based on our current production. I agree to check coolant level and the coolant sensor, which is on the side of the block near the heads. It should be a white sensor, 2 prong plug and easy to get to. Replacement is cheap and easy. After that - get with us and I'll tell you the next diagnostic step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back