GVWR vs GCWR question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a pickup that has a GVWR of 8,800 lbs and a GCWR of 14,000 lbs.

I gather this to mean the weight on the drive and steer axles of the truck containing fluids, driver, passengers, and a full bed should not total more than 8,800 lbs. For example: 4,400 lbs per axle is max or any combination that equals 8,800 or less.

Also, if that same truck is pulling a trailer, the weight on the drive axle, steer axle, and trailer axle(s) should not exeed 14,000 lbs.

But on OTR trucks I always see GVWR 80,000 lbs stuck on the door. Shouldn't it instead say GCWR 80,000 lbs. Am I missing somethinhg with the difference between GVWR and GCWR?

GVWR means total weight of vehicle cannot exceed 8800 pounds. GCWR means that the total weight of vehicle and trailer should not exceed 14,000 pounds. But you still shouldn't exceed the 8800 pound GVWR with the trailer attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the rear axle is rated at over 6,000lbs and the front is rated at over 4,000lbs. That's another source of confusion for me. You'd think the GVWR would equal the sum of the axle ratings but instead it's about 2,000lbs less.

And I know on semi trucks you can have 12,000lbs on the steer axle, 34,000lbs on the drive axle, and 34,000lbs on the trailer axles for a total of 80,000lbs. But this sounds to me like a GCWR and not a GVWR. Why does DOT refer to it as GVWR?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they build in some cushion on the GAWR since they know you're not going to perfectly balance the load between the front and rear axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back