Purolator Pure1 on a Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WANG
Not that anyone ever mentioned motorcycles, but bear with me for a moment...

From the Purolator page:

"What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter."

That statement leads me to believe that the P1 is more restrictive than other filters. I stopped using them in all applications. P1 is probably no worse in this regard than any other Gucci high efficiency oil filter, but to my knowledge no other filter marketer has published a recommendation to not use their high-efficiency product in a powersports application.

With that said, I used P1 in a bunch of stuff (bikes included) for quite a while and never noticed any issues.

Looking at the seemingly often quoted Superbusa thread, (I promise that I never saw that in all my years of BITOG lurking, LOL) I'm lifting the household P1 embargo. That explains why I never had a problem while using them, I guess
laugh.gif

I used the Pure One on the first two oil changes on my Hemi with no issues at all. This was during the winter with temps down below 32 degrees at times and never had noise. Pure Ones have served me good on all my vehicles.

just an update, I swapped in a MOPAR and the truck has been nice and quiet. The anti-drain-back valve was probably faulty on the pure 1. on a side note, I dumped a quart of oil in after the filter change. The level is higher on the dipstick now than usual, but still within the safe zone - right under the top mark. You fellas think that's ok? the capacity is 7 quarts, I must be somwhere around 7.3 or so now (7 quarts puts the level right down the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD7
The level is higher on the dipstick now than usual, but still within the safe zone - right under the top mark. You fellas think that's ok? the capacity is 7 quarts, I must be somwhere around 7.3 or so now (7 quarts puts the level right down the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick)

In any car, as long as the oil level is at or below the top/full mark on the dipstick there's nothing to worry about. I've ran a few cars with the level a little above the full mark, and there's never been any problems.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BigD7
The level is higher on the dipstick now than usual, but still within the safe zone - right under the top mark. You fellas think that's ok? the capacity is 7 quarts, I must be somwhere around 7.3 or so now (7 quarts puts the level right down the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick)

In any car, as long as the oil level is at or below the top/full mark on the dipstick there's nothing to worry about. I've ran a few cars with the level a little above the full mark, and there's never been any problems.

+1.. as long as your on a reasonably level surface, go by the dipstick.

BigD7,

I'm using a Purolator "Pure One" on my 01' Durango V-8 now and it satisfies me well. I heard Purolator makes Chrysler/Mopar oil filters anyway so your getting the same oil filter in a different package (PL14670).

This is the oil filter I always use unless someone has a much better version on the market now.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
BigD7,

I'm using a Purolator "Pure One" on my 01' Durango V-8 now and it satisfies me well. I heard Purolator makes Chrysler/Mopar oil filters anyway so your getting the same oil filter in a different package (PL14670).

This is the oil filter I always use unless someone has a much better version on the market now.

Durango

The Baldwin B2 or my favorite filter B2-HPG are larger than the Purolator(PL14670) and are very good filters.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back