Quake State Defy in Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in to pick up some QSGB for my moms car since I'm home for a while. To my amazement Defy was in stock! $14.89 for 5 quart jugs. They did not have quart bottles, yet. No API doughnut or star burst. Looks like they're replacing the HM oils. It's also a synthetic blend and smells good.
27.gif

2012-02-14_15-12-04_526.jpg

2012-02-14_15-12-15_749.jpg

2012-02-14_15-12-20_404.jpg

Hehe,
I hope you really don't base your oil selection on smell.
wink.gif

I guess I can save money on cologne and start using
Quaker State Defy, so my wife can really call me a BITOG geek.

Last edited:
Cool - thanks for the detailed pics!

If this comes in 5W-20, I might try it in my Tribute - my wear was 'slightly' lower when I used a zinc-boosting additive in my last fill. I think in engine that don't burn much oil, extra zinc can only help.

Originally Posted By: madmax_ooohhh
Hehe,
I hope you really don't base your oil selection on smell.

Not at all! I find it interesting how different oils smell different.

I'm really curious what grades this oil will come in - if it's targeted at much older engines, it had better come in 10W-40 and even 20W-50.

If its just 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30, it may not have as big of a market as it could.

Yes,

Quaker State Defy (Formally known as High Mileage with additional Zinc thrown in) is great oil. A little low on TBN, but a quality oil nonetheless.

Another great(conventional)High Milage oil is Mobil High Mileage.
Both are about the same price (At WalMart last time I looked) that has a little higher TBN.

Either will do you well for your application, so just purchase
whatever of the two are on sale, and make sure NOT to overextend your drain interval.
(I retired from the company with the flying donkey ;), and I just chuckle at the battle between brands.)

Generally, just stick with the major name brand oils
and change them out at the manufacturer suggested oil weights
and change interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madmax_ooohhh
Yes,

Quaker State Defy (Formally known as High Mileage with additional Zinc thrown in) is great oil. A little low on TBN, but a quality oil nonetheless.

Another great(conventional)High Milage oil is Mobil High Mileage.
Both are about the same price (At WalMart last time I looked) that has a little higher TBN.

Either will do you well for your application, so just purchase
whatever of the two are on sale, and make sure NOT to overextend your drain interval.
(I retired from the company with the flying donkey ;), and I just chuckle at the battle between brands.)

Generally, just stick with the major name brand oils
and change them out at the manufacturer suggested oil weights
and change interval.

There is a few more difference though, the Mobil Super HM is SN and resource conserving, where the QS Defy is SL and non resource conserving with the amount of zinc in it. The Mobil Super HM is a blend. It seems almost every HM out there is now a blend (QS, Maxlife, Castrol) except Pennzoil so curious to see when that will be changing.

A "flying donkey" or a Pegasus? With being retired from Mobil you'll be a great asset to this forum, as long as your not biased lol!
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
I also wonder what grades it will come in and how it will compare to the HM. I might try it in my old '82 next OC. I hope it's the same except for the zinc because I have been really impressed with the HM. I have used Maxlife for the past few years but the QS seems to have smoothed out the engine and sounds much quieter at idle. Who knows though.

I will not confirm or deny my association with the flying Donkey. ;), but yes, thank you for the welcome.

If you look at the PQIA breakdown of various oils, and
compare Exxon Superfo and Mobil 5000, they have almost the same exact specs. They both use the same base oils, but slightly different add paks.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

Quaker State and Pennzoil are the same way. It is not cost effective for a company to drastically change/alter formuula
for their "different" products. So yes, Exxon superflo is a slightly cheaper/weaker Mobil 5000 and the same can be said for Quaker State to Pennzoil. As long you change your oil at recommend (or earlier) intervals, most users and engines will not know the difference when it comes to engine protection/lubrication/wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Meets SL requirements?
33.gif

ZDDP probably above SM/SN limits. It may still be a very good oil. We'll see how the UOA's work out.

[edit] the part that bothers me is the extra zinc marketing, the word has gotten out that ZDDP has been reduced and now people that don't know any better will buy this. Whether they actually need the extra ZDDP or not.

In the case of my car, it's stamped 5w20 SL/GF-3 on the oil cap, so I'm not scared
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Meets SL requirements?
33.gif

I think it's safe to say that higher mileage cars are not under warranty any longer and hence API certs don't carry as much weight.

I think it's AWESOME they so clearly advertise having Zinc on the label. Yeah they could call it ZDDP but it shows the average oil consumer is getting wise to necessary additives.

This stuff should go down very well with old timers with hot rods who change once a year and otherwise don't spend much time thinking about it. But they'll yak it up at car shows.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm really curious what grades this oil will come in - if it's targeted at much older engines, it had better come in 10W-40 and even 20W-50.

If its just 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30, it may not have as big of a market as it could.
I'm rejoicing and thinking just the opposite - there have been no common** lubricants with high zinc in the 5w-30 multigrade whereas you can easily get SL oil or dual rated high zddp oils in the heavier weights. The Rotella T 10w-30 is good but on the 40 side of things. Bet they wont make a 5w-20 though
frown.gif

**Ignoring the pricy Castrol 0w30 and racing oils and of course the pricy White Yardman 5w-30 stnthetic Snowblower oil. I found the high zddp oil quiets piston slap remnant, I'm guessing it helps reduce the tdc piston "cock in the bore" and concomitant stick-slip wear issue. I think thats the current biggest noisemaker in an engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back