cost of a 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiance wants a 22 guage shotgun. Any certain kind you guys would recommend and also how much should I expect to spend on a used one? Thanks guys

Are you looking for a 20 Ga Shotgun or a .22 caliber rifle. I've never heard or a 22 Ga shotgun, only .410, 28, 20, 16, 12, and 10 ga are readily availiable.

I think I would buy a 20 gauge remington 870 express.

Or for a .22 I'd probably get a Ruger 10/22.

For a 22 gauge shotgun you'd be paying so much for a custom barrel and you'd have to design and load your own ammo.

I have found the Marlins .22s to be be quite accurate at 25-50 yards and more. They sell new for under $200 but I am sure you can find a used one for around $100 or less.

I had a Marlin 60 or 66 IIRC??? which was a good .22 but I didn't like the tube loading. A 10/22 has a similarly annoying cartridge. Make sure you compare these in person before you buy anything.

I picked up a new Marlin 795 for $89.99 at ***** last Summer. Magazine fed, synthetic stock, and 100% reliable....a fun plinker.

I think it was $109.99 and then a $20 rebate.

If you can go the cost though a Ruger 10-22 is the best...magazine fed as well.

I got screwed when i bought my S&W M&P 15-22. Local gun store had it during a shortage of them, I think it was $600 or so when I got it. Totally fun gun though.

0502012018.jpg

A nice Marlin .22 lr bolt action with a magazine. I prefer a bolt vs auto-loader, especially if teaching a novice.

I had a Glenfield, I believe a model 90. Shot it so much the rifling was coming out the barrel and almost gone.

A fun gun is the GSG-5 semi-auto. Bit pricey, but looks like a MP5-SD.

Dave

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the Ruger 10/22. Available at WalMart, ****'s, or anywhere that legitamately sells firearms. I'd expect to pay $200-225 for the basic rifle.

When I was a boy I had a Savage 22 rifle. A heavy gun with a nice wood stock. I spent many hours in the woods with that gum. Good memories for me. Not sure they even make that gun anymore. Ed

For a .22 Rifle.

CZ 452, 453 or 455. I prefer 453's myself.

Browning BL22
Browning SA22

Are a couple more really nice ones if your budget is up there.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
You guys ever heard of a western auto supply revelation

I've heard of a Revelation 12ga. Shotgun.

Originally Posted By: cancov
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
You guys ever heard of a western auto supply revelation

I've heard of a Revelation 12ga. Shotgun.

I had a bolt action Western Auto Revelation .410 shotgun.

I'm pretty sure that all western auto firearms are branded "revelation", if you can get the model number (possibly stamped into the top of the barrel) you can find out more. It is probably a Savage, Marlin or Mossberg.

I kinda like tube fed; no pushing tiny rounds into a magazine. OTOH the 22 I shoot most is a bolt action rifle that I bought--well used--minus magazine. If I'm shooting 50 rounds or so, I think it might be faster to shoot those 50 than anything with a magazine. Or about the same. Since I have to feed them one at a time, I get a mini-break from concentration also.

YMMV. I haven't run a 10/22 yet, but if I was buying new, I might go that route, since there are piles of accessories for it. Feel like going tatic-cool? Just want a different stock? It's out there. OTOH, for a plain plinker, almost anything will work; buying used would save a few bucks, and you won't be out too much if you decide to trade it in at a later date.

I think everything Western Auto was rebranded revelation. I have a Western Auto revelation ballglove.

I've had a Ruger 10/22 for almost 20 years. Great gun with a lot of after market support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back