Engine mounts for a W163 ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '05 ML500 only has 50,000 miles on it, but the engine mounts need to be replaced. If you brake torque the truck, the engine does lift up quite a bit (transmission shifter even moves). So I've suggested parking the car until the mounts are replaced.

Whilst I'm at it, I want to get the transmission mount done and out the way as well, and this will all probably take me about 6 hours (first time). But I was wondering if there's a certain brand of engine mount the Mercedes gurus would recommend.

Engine mounts are a common problem area for the ML, alongside the dreaded flashing low range light. The OE mounts are not expensive, $83 for the pair. But I'm just wondering if there's a "problem solver" available in the aftermarket, or if I'm better off going with the OEMs. Thanks!

dont know of problem solver parts, but Phoenix or Lemforder may be the OE part for much less $.

Trav,

Nice site but no w123 parts page. Boo!

As for poly mounts, wouldnt they transmit a lot more vibration and noise?

At least on w123 cars, they made different rubber hardness levels for the mounts (signified by colored dots) for different applications.

If there is a heavier/torquier engine (AMG perhaps), that mount may be a bit stronger yet still comfortable.

Very little vibration with this style mount even in poly, these mounts from what i read had problems from the get go.
There seems to be very little material connecting the upper and lower parts of the mount.
I would say aftermarket cant be any worse than OEM on this car.

I have run poly mounts in a couple of cars that had a habit of tearing mounts out and there is some additional vibration but nothing annoying.
Poly frame or subframe mounts will cause a lot more vibration to be transmitted into the cabin.

Did AMG do anything with the W163? It might be worth a call to the MB dealer.

W123 parts..

http://www.w123-ersatzteile.de/

http://www.dbdepot.de/index.php?nav=4&lan=1&

Thanks. Sad to see how much 123 stuff is being discontinued... Looking for access worldwide for some stuff...

Thanks very much for all the info!
thumbsup2.gif

Trav, thanks very much for the link! I've ordered from the website!
thumbsup2.gif
Also, yes there was an ML 55 AMG version of the W163.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back