Honda Rincon differential oil replacement....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Honda Rincon that I would like to replace the differential oil in. The recommended oil per the manual is s.a.e. 80 oil. After doing a little research online, it looks like the actual product that I should purchase at the Honda shop is Pro Honda Shaft Drive oil 80w90. Since the oil at my dealer is much higher, I would like to simply purchase some differential oil at my local parts store. I have looked at a couple of parts stores and Wal-Mart and it looks like what is available is Valvoline 80W-90, Castrol Hypoy C 80W-90, Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90, Valvoline SynPower 75W-90, and Valvoline Dura-Blend 80W-90. Does anyone have a recommendation on which brand would be the best for my application? I think that I need to make sure that it says for hyploid gears somewhere on the bottle, but do I need to also look for limited-slip also or not? I believe all of the above oils are rated GL-5, which is the same as the Honda oil which carries a GL-4 and GL-5 rating. Does anyone have a recommendation on anything that would be better or a particular product that they have had personal experience with?

Originally Posted By: BradleyB
.......... but do I need to also look for limited-slip also or not?.............

Probably not for the rear. Doesn't the Rincon have a "spool" type rear end, where the right and left axle shafts are essentially locked together? But if the front differential uses a clutch pack, then yes, get a LS type of GL5 gear oil.

I have an old Honda Goldwing that says to use Hypoid 80/90 wt oil, in the rear gears. I looked at alot of gear oils, but they didn't say Hypoid on the bottle. I went to Napa and they had the recommended Hypoid oil. It was regular oil not synthetic, and was less the $5 for the bottle. It did say it had a Gl-5 rating on the bottle.If all gear oils are suitable for use in vehicles requiring Hypoid oil, I think it should say that on the bottle.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back