Katzkin Leather Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Katzkin branded leather upholstery kit to install into my Prius. The leather upholstery in this kit replaces the original cloth upholstery, so the cloth upholstery must be removed.

In this threa is a video walkaround by one user, showing the final results after he had the Katzkin kit installed: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010...rior-video.html

The kit I ordered was a dark grey shade called "lapis." Although the color was not my first choice, I cannot complain since I only paid $450 from a blowout sale. The normal price would have been $900. I expect to be impressed with the material quality since various people have said that this kit uses soft uncoated leather on all seating surfaces, which cannot be said about the factory leather.

In order to keep this project inexpensive, I plan to do the installation myself. Can anyone offer any tips on installing this type of kit? I have been watching the youtube videos and plan to knock on xs650's door if I really get stuck.
grin.gif

Thanks!

Get a set of Hog ring pliers(straight and angled)..and lots of hog rings...good pair of wire cutters...take pictures at every step and keep up with your trim pieces..work slowly so you do not rip the cover...silicone spray to spray on the foam when sliding the cover over the frame..when old cover is off inspect foam esp.near bolsters/ frame rails & springs for wear...if worn you can use poly cushion stuffing /spray adhesive and duct tape to repair....that's all i used when i did mine...I also use 2 products from a company called LEATHERIQUE to take care of All my leather stuff...Rejuvinator oil once a year..and Pristine Clean for general cleaning

My folks have Katzkin leather in their Wrangler, and it's NICE stuff. They have the premium kit, with perforated inserts. Feels very high quality. They didn't install it themselves, so I can't give you tips on that, but will say that you have some nice leather seats to look forward to.

At least it isnt that plastic leather junk that is sold in most cars.

I personally dont like leather seats. Prefer vinyl for longevity and good looks, but you will need to be careful, both now and always. Id be really careful not to stretch/pull too much as to tear the leather at the ring holes where it gets connected.

Id personally rather rely upon the assistance at least of an upolstery person for my first go-round. Im sure someone would help you for some cash.

I assume you are removing the seats to do this, right?

OT, when my parents got their prius, they didn't want the DVD nav option which Toyota required one to get the leather interior. There were so many complaints @ the dealer about this that the dealer contracted with a upholsterer to do a leather conversion. Buy the car, send it to Richmond for a week or so, and back it came with a leather interior. I believe there were a lot of takers.

Is it made from cat skin? lol. But seriously, it is good stuff. I've seen 2 or 3 vehicles with it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT, when my parents got their prius, they didn't want the DVD nav option which Toyota required one to get the leather interior. There were so many complaints @ the dealer about this that the dealer contracted with a upholsterer to do a leather conversion. Buy the car, send it to Richmond for a week or so, and back it came with a leather interior. I believe there were a lot of takers.

01.gif

Glad to see the market exists for a prius leather conversion and aftermarket stuff the dealer network/ Toyota of america are too stuck up to do themselves.

Friend wanted cruise control in his Vibe for which he also HAD TO have power windows and locks. He chose "none of the above" and put aftermarket cruise in. Shows them.
lol.gif

There was an episode of Gearz with Stacey David where he installed a Katskin kit on a Dodge truck. One thing I remember from that was he wrapped the headrest foam in a plastic bag before he slid the cover on. It made it go on a lot faster and when the bag was tucked in you couldn't tell he used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back