BOSCH PREMIUM 3323 CUT OPEN -- PICTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I just posted in another thread, I cut open another used PureONE PL14610 that I had in the garage cabinet and compared the internals of each. From everything my eyes can see...

The PureONE PL14610 and Bosch Premium 3323 are identical.

I even cut the media out of them and measured it... both were about 2 5/16" x 47 1/2", calculating to about 110 square inches.

Given that I'm not a fan of the textured yellow paint on the PureONEs, of the two, I prefer the Bosch Premium and its black can.

Lesson learned... if you love the PureONE, love the Bosch Premium just the same!

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I did, however, find an unpleasant surprise. The bypass was stuck open. Does that constitute a failure of the filter? I may contact Bosch about it and see how they reply. I imagine it could have led to the higher percentage of insolubles in the UOA.

DSCF2426.jpg

I have warned people about Purolator's leaf spring bypass. The leaf spring has no elasticity. Under pressure it simply deforms and leaves the bypass open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: barlowc
I did, however, find an unpleasant surprise. The bypass was stuck open. Does that constitute a failure of the filter? I may contact Bosch about it and see how they reply. I imagine it could have led to the higher percentage of insolubles in the UOA.

DSCF2426.jpg

I have warned people about Purolator's leaf spring bypass. The leaf spring has no elasticity. It simply deforms and leaves the bypass open.

In testing the bypass, I've never had that experience. And I've cut open quite a few.

And if you read my follow up, I suspect that I damaged it when I drilled through the dome-end to drain the oil from the filter. I don't believe this was a case of filter failure.

A spring with no elasticity is not a spring. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Try to open the bypass in one of your cut open filters. You'll deform it trying to open it.

Last edited:
A spring with no elasticity is not a spring. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Try to open the bypass in one of your cut open filters.

When I used the phrase "In testing the bypass" what part of that did you infer to not mean the testing of the bypass?

21.gif

So speaking of hard to grasp concepts.......
wink.gif

If the stamped spring hasn't reached it yield point of the point or fatigued, it's not going to lose elasticity.

-we know it's hasn't reached its yield point, since it's not bent

-it's hard to believe that it's experiencing metal fatigue given how often it opens.

Personally, I think you're way off base on this one.

Quote:
I have warned people about Purolator's leaf spring bypass. The leaf spring has no elasticity. Under pressure it simply deforms and leaves the bypass open.

Used a bunch of them with the flat spring design, none with an issue. As posted above just finished dissecting an AAP TG using that design and it was fine, not deformed at all. I would have agree with the OP's conclusion that he likely hit it with the drill bit when putting a hole in the dome of the can.

Guess you missed his post where he said he hit the spring with a drill bit when drilling the hole in the dome end (or is it the top or bottom end?) of the filter.

I've never seen any problems with the flat spring bypass valves on the filters I've cut open.

Try to open the bypass in one of your cut open filters. You'll deform it trying to open it.

I've pushed on every one I've cut open, and they don't deform for me. You can't push them open a 1/2" + and expect them to take it. They probably only open 1/16" ~ 1/8" max when they operate under actual use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back