'08 Honda Odyssey Trans Fluid change- Z1, Maxlife,

Status
Not open for further replies.
or Amsoil ATF? Which is your recommendation?

Honda ATF Z1 is $11.12 per qt at the local dealer.
Maxlife is $6.69 at the local NAPA
Amsoil ATF is probably around $10.00 to $10.50 per qt. shipped to me, if I order a whole case of it.

Which would be your choice and why? Oh yea, I forgot to add, this van has about 44,000 miles on it. The first change was supposed to be done at 36,000 miles, but I am behind. One more thing: I ordered a trans filter from NAPA, and picked it up a while ago. It looks like a small lawnmower type fuel filter, as in cylindrical paper filter, and it came with a rubber pan gasket and 2 rubber O rings. So I called the local Honda dealer parts dept. and asked what the filter looks like. He checked into it and said that transmission does not have a filter. So what did I buy form NAPA?

I would go with Maxlife (because that's what I did in my 07 Accord V6)
grin.gif

It is more readily available than Amsoil, but I am not putting down either Amsoil or Red Line. For me, the cost was not worth the extra, since I change it every 25-30k anyway.

Can't comment on the new DW1, but I wasn't happy with the old Z1.

Use a bottle of Lubegard (Red or Platinum; I used Platinum) as a terrific PM.

The filter you bought from NAPA is probably the right one. I changed mine at about 70k. As I recall (ordered it online form one of the Honda dealers) it came with the one cylindrical gasket.

BUT: it's a PITA to get to, at least on my generation Accord. Yours is the newer chassis, I think, and may have better access.

It's under the air filter box, and is accessed from the side, at least on mine.

Of those three I would use the Amsoil because it's a far better fluid than Honda Z-1. Maxlife would be second.
Redline D-4 is also excellent.

The filter on the 08 Odyssey is buried in teh transmission and is not servicable. Put a magnefine in the return line instead. Here is a write up for an 07 that might be of service. I personally did a 4x drain and fill through the plug because the cooler line method was overkill for me.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/14-periodi...f-z1-fluid.html

I used Z-1 the last time I did the flush. I currently have a case of DW-1 for the next flush this summer. I have an extended warranty and decided to stick with OEM. My other choice would be Amsoil.

If you go with DW-1 shop around..I got it for $5 a quart from a local dealer. $11 is way too much....You can get it cheaper going through handa-accessories.com and shipped to your door.

DW-1 is the latest fluid from Honda and is about $6/qt if you have them price match certain online dealer catalogs.

I own a 2008 Odyssey as well.

I did my first Maxlife ATF drain/fill in late 2009 with around 18-19Kmi on the van.

I've got ~47Kmi on it know and have done a total of 3 drain/fills on the van.

Maxlife eliminated much of the annoyingness from this trans, such as the constant drifting in/out of TC lockup or in/out of 5th during certain conditions.

Like said, the internal canister filter on the 2007+ is not serviceable, but I personally wouldn't install an in-line filter until the 5yr/60Kmi power train warranty is done.

Trans drain/fills are easier than an engine oil change on these. They've got a drain plug that uses a 3/8" square ratchet drive and a huge hex-head fill cap up top for re-filling.

Joel

JTK, thanks for mentioning what your van was doing! Good to know! I just told my relatives with a 2009 Odyssey with 45k miles on it to get the transmission serviced. They mentioned it wasn't getting the gas mileage it used to when new. Your post about drifting in/out of TCC lockup nailed it for me that the transmission should be their first priority at the next service.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
.. Your post about drifting in/out of TCC lockup nailed it for me that the transmission should be their first priority at the next service.

There has been a PCM re-flash or two put out to supposedly address this.

After the first d/f, it stopped, but when I had the van in for other work (P steering noise)some months later, they did the re-flash when they discovered it hadn't been done.

Last edited:
Hello JTK, Do you have the part number for the re-flash? Also, what did it cost? My brother bought a 2007 this Summer. The Odyssey has <52,000 mi. presently. We've done one drain & fill with another due this weekend. He bought a case of DW-1 at the dealer. So far so good. The vehicle has made two New York-Nashville round trips without hiccup. No fancy fluid until we get it to clear red-then we'll do a "coolant line" flush. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello JTK, Do you have the part number for the re-flash? Also, what did it cost?

It's a freebe from the dealer. They can tell from your VIN if it's been done or not. Odyclub.com is a great site for any info.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello JTK, Do you have the part number for the re-flash? Also, what did it cost?

It's a freebe from the dealer. They can tell from your VIN if it's been done or not. Odyclub.com is a great site for any info.

Joel

what is "draft in and out" of TQ mean? i found the MDX lockup too early in low RPM...

Just bought 9 quarts of Maxlife ATF at Meijer for $4.79 per qt. I'll consider switching this van to Amsoil ATF in the future, but for now I want to get all the old fluid out and the Maxlife is the cheapest way to do it.

Also, I was unable to register on the Odyssey forum, so I can't see the pics, but apparently some of the later models have a transmission fluid filter up under the battery box. I hope that is where my NAPA replacement filter goes.

Here a link to College Hills Honda
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/find-parts/Honda/ODYSSEY/2009/5DR%20EXL/KA5AT/AT%20ATF%20PIPE%20('07-)

In the picture the filter is #1, on the left. I'd recommend the gasket, too (#20).

It looks the same as my 07 Accord V6. Most dealer techs/parts folks will honestly deny the tranny even has a filter.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
http://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/find-parts/Honda/ODYSSEY/2009/5DR%20EXL/KA5AT/AT%20ATF%20PIPE%20('07-)

In the picture the filter is #1, on the left. I'd recommend the gasket, too (#20).

It looks the same as my 07 Accord V6. Most dealer techs/parts folks will honestly deny the tranny even has a filter.

While the filter does indeed exist people are reporting that it is buried in the transmission and as I mentioned unservicable without taking apart the transmission.

If there is a way to get to it pleased let us know...

Originally Posted By: chevys10
Originally Posted By: eagle23

While the filter does indeed exist people are reporting that it is buried in the transmission and as I mentioned unservicable without taking apart the transmission.

If there is a way to get to it pleased let us know...

I thik there is another filter in the bowels of the transmission, but that's not the one I changed.

I would say it's "easy" though it's more crowded than anything. It's accessible from the top.

BTW this applies to the V6's, not the fours--those have a different filter that's better accessible from what I've read.

As I recall, I had to remove the airfilter box and snorkle, and maybe unattach the fuse box there (or secure it to the side). The 3 bolts are 10mm (IIRC), and it comes out laterally toward the wheel well on the driver's side.

I also wanted to install a Magnefine, but decided against it as it meant cutting some hoses I didn't want to cut, then risking a leak in a place I couldn't readily observe so I followed my gut and didn't. That's me; if others can make it work, do it.

One caveat I have to offer is my car is the '07 Accord, and this thread is about an '08 Oddy. If the Oddy got the larger chassis like the car did in 2008, there might be more room to work on the filter. I haven't seen the later Accords/Oddys to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back