Dexos 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will 5w20 oils ever be certified for Dexos 1? I have 15qts of full synthetic I "can't" use because my new ride permits dexos 1 5w30 only.

I think dexos1 will eventually specify Xw20's, but not for a couple of years. Then who knows if GM will back-spec 20-weight for your engine?

Originally Posted By: Gwhaley262
Will 5w20 oils ever be certified for Dexos 1? I have 15qts of full synthetic I "can't" use because my new ride permits dexos 1 5w30 only.

You have two requirements here. dexos1 and 5W-30. You'd be breaking both by going to a 5W-20. Why are you looking to stay with the dexos1 specification? You'd already be going "against the book" with using a 5W-20. I guess I just don't see what your hesitation is; if you're already willing to use the 5W-20 instead of 5W-30, what is the hangup on the dexos1 spec?

Probably not. I've read material that GM is pretty set on sticking with 5W-30 as their preferred engine oil grade for the foreseeable future.

You can try to sell the 5W-20, or even return it to a store to trade for Dexos 5W-30 oil. If neither of those is a good option, then I'd keep the 5W-20, and when the vehicle is out of warranty, mix it 50-50 with a 40-weight to produce a 30-weight blend.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Gwhaley262

You have two requirements here. dexos1 and 5W-30. You'd be breaking both by going to a 5W-20. Why are you looking to stay with the dexos1 specification? You'd already be going "against the book" with using a 5W-20. I guess I just don't see what your hesitation is; if you're already willing to use the 5W-20 instead of 5W-30, what is the hangup on the dexos1 spec?

I have no hangups with dexos1. Just kinda wondering if dexos1 would be back speced to 5w20. I'm not willing to use it since it would currently void my warranty.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Probably not. I've read material that GM is pretty set on sticking with 5W-30 as their preferred engine oil grade for the foreseeable future.

You can try to sell the 5W-20, or even return it to a store to trade for Dexos 5W-30 oil. If neither of those is a good option, then I'd keep the 5W-20, and when the vehicle is out of warranty, mix it 50-50 with a 40-weight to produce a 30-weight blend.

I've actually been checking out friends and family rides to "donate" to a good cause.

Castrol Edge FST 5w20 says it is Dexos1 approved**. I had to look a couple of times to make sure I was seeing things right. Next time you are at Walmart take a look. Unfortunately that is the one problem with building up to big of a stash, I loaded up on 0w20 for a Hybrid I owned for a few months and then traded. Luckily I can still use it in my Civic but I prefer 5w20.

**Approved not Licensed. ie. Synpower and Edge are approved. PP and M1 are licensed. Just want to make that clear so I don't get pounded
wink.gif

Last edited:
Why would a minor player with a very small presence in the US pay to license an oil viscosity that is not approved by GM for use any vehicle? I have to believe it's a typo.

It certainly could be a typo. I thought that dexos1 were all 5w-30s, and every one on the list except that one is. It's either a typo, or GM is simply more than just "thinking about" going thinner and has its first candidate. I wish the license information was dated.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Why would a minor player with a very small presence in the US pay to license an oil viscosity that is not approved by GM for use any vehicle? I have to believe it's a typo.

LukOil is not a minor player
smile.gif
. May be in US? Here i see that LukOil is 6th largest producer in the world lubricant ranking (2005).

Apparently the new Malibu Eco is going to allow the use of Xw20 oil. The Idemitsu listing is interesting for sure.

Also interesting to me is the listings for EcoPower and Edge. Wakefield is the Canadian distributor of Castrol so does this mean it's approved up here but not state side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back