questions about handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I would like to get a hand gun. But am curious on the laws ad where to get one ? Can anyone help me out in this topic . I was thinking of getting a 9mm or a 44 I don't know a lot about handguns . I grew up with shotguns and rifles and ha enter shot many handguns. Any help is appreciated.

If you have questions about laws, I would suggest maybe a conceled carry class. Prety sure you have one in your state. If you waant to know which one to purchase, you need to think about what you are going to do with it.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Well I'm not all that worried about conceal and carry. I'm fine having it in the open.

I think the recommendation was based more on the fact that you don't have much knowledge of handguns and the class would teach you what you need to know to be safe, not necessarily just so that you could concealed carry.

To be honest, someone that doesn't know much about handguns and feels ok leaving them out in the open isn't my favorite thing. If you don't know every aspect of it you should have it unloaded locked in a safe.

What to buy depends on how you anticipate using it...

Want a high-capacity autoloader that feeds cheap ammo for concealed carry? 9mm

High-capacity autoloader that has more effective rounds? .40

Autoloader with the best stopping percentage, but a bit bulky? .45 ACP

Make big holes in stuff and feel lots of power/recoil from expensive ammo? .44 mag

Learn to shoot? .22

Good all around gun that's inexpensive to feed for practice and can be loaded with excellent defense rounds? .357 mag

You get the idea...lots of pros/cons for revolvers, autoloaders and lots of pros/cons for calibers...but it really depends on what you want the thing to do...it's like asking "what car should I get?" or more appropriately to BITOG "What oil should I use?"...

and the concealed carry class is an excellent suggestion: the basics of handgun shooting, familiarity with your state's laws on carrying, and a chance to try out a few handguns...all for about $50 around here...

Last edited:
For laws....see a local dealer. Varies state by state.

Take a pistol class. They will teach you to shoot and how to handle one.

I reccomend a 9mm or a 45acp if you must go big bore. If you do not reload shooting any 44...magnum or special is going to cost you an arm and leg. I always reccomend a gun that you can get a 22lr conversion for as well. Something like a Beretta 92,Glock 17/19, or a CZ75 for 9mm or a 1911 in 45acp. Shooting 22lr will show you just how good or bad you are since recoil is almost zero. A lot of people....like my dad I am teaching....swore it was the gun or the recoil...its was just bad technique.

Second the concealed carry class, as they get into the rules as well as spending an hour at the range. You can't just carry one in the open, as well as restrictions in carrying concealed.

There are so many types, brands, and calibers that it's very confusing. Nobody has talked about revolvers vs semi-automatic auto loaders. Nor has anybody talked small frame pocket guns vs much bigger govt model 45s that are way too big for a concealed holster. How about new production big name American brands vs CZ (a Czech company) or Russian surplus (Makarov). I have a permit and carry an FEG PA63 (small frame Walther PPK copy from Hungary). It was cheap (about $175 new, purchased in 2009) and feels good in my hand.

That's your biggest consideration--how it fits and feels in your hand.

Last edited:
Spend hours upon hours reading the web. There is gobs of data out there; the better forums (ones with many active users) tend to shout down any bad advice. After a couple of weeks of reading say a couple hours per day, you'll have a better grasp of various topics, terms, laws and such.

Going to classes is good. But even then, I think there is far more to be absorbed than what just a weekend class can touch on.

I would take the class to learn. That would be fine and I'd enjoy it. I just don't care to conceal it doesn't matter to me. I know how to shoot one. Idk the best kind or how to fix one is better explanation .

From a 9mm to a 44 mag. Wow, thats a big difference, lol.

Go to a range that rents guns and try a few out. Thats what I made my wife do.

That's a good way to start too, range by us rents whatever for about 20 bucks an hour plus ammo including range time. And if you want to try something else they're cool with that, usually have about 20 guns up for grabs.

They had a 44 magnum to rent. I saw a 17 year old shoot it twice and they took it back for something else. It was absurdly loud.

Fun thing to do with some friends on a rainy day.

First pistol should be a .22, nothing else. I recommend a decent quality revolver for control and safety combined with low ammo cost until you get used to shooting a pistol.

Then when you are used to it, you can get a bigger bore. No one should start out with a .44 mag. If you think you have to have a bigger bore, then go with a .357 so you can practice with lower cost, and quieter, .38 ammo. Either way, go for decent quality.

Do not shoot a .357 without ear protection, ever, except in an emergency. I wish I had protected my ears from many things over the years.

Hmm.. my first pistol was a S&W 686+ .357. Still have it and love it. To learn, I went to an indoor range and used .38 rounds.

Everybody here is going to offer opinions on what type and caliber of handgun you 'should' start out with. It can be a bit daunting being that you've not had a lot of experience using one. Basically the first thing I would think you'd want to know is if you would prefer a revolver or a semi-auto. Pluses and minuses for each one of course. After that would be the caliber and/or capacity you think would suit your purpose. I think if you do some research on the internet (hundreds of forums available for handgun discussion) and then find a local shop that has a range where you can try out the various handgun types.....you'll narrow down considerably which weapon you are comfortable and accurate shooting. Most of the larger shops also offer classes and guide you with local laws as well.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

They had a 44 magnum to rent. I saw a 17 year old shoot it twice and they took it back for something else. It was absurdly loud.

I am sure was loud in a range. I live in the country, so we shoot out in the desert. Always using ear protection.

May be me, but I love shooting the 44 Mag. I have a Colt Anaconda and a Ruger Blackhawk. I love the BOOM!

Personally, I never seen the need for a .357 and went to a 44 Mag. Only ones I enjoy shooting more are 2 revolvers I have in .454 Casull.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Hmm.. my first pistol was a S&W 686+ .357. Still have it and love it. To learn, I went to an indoor range and used .38 rounds.

Can't beat a nice 357 Mag revolver ... and as bigmike said, you can use the cheaper, less powerful 38 Spl if you want. I've got a couple of nice 357 Mags, and they are very accurate and fun to shoot - plus I love the fire ball out the end of the short barrels.
laugh.gif
A small frame 357 can be easily carried. Load it up with some nice defense loads and it's ready to rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back