2009 6.7 Cummins turbo failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: subiedriver
You shouldn't have to spend 2 grand on a diesel engine to make it reliable, lol. I've never liked intertrashional [censored] motors, lmao!

International makes some of the best diesel engines in the world! They own the medium duty truck market. Nothing trash about them.

Intertrashional? Powerjoke?

So cute, these nicknames. They really contribute to the meaningful nature of our discussion.

Back OT, this is starting to sound like much more of a service problem. Sounds as though the dealer has some service department issues.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
You shouldn't have to spend 2 grand on a diesel engine to make it reliable, lol. I've never liked intertrashional [censored] motors, lmao!

International makes some of the best diesel engines in the world! They own the medium duty truck market. Nothing trash about them.

AGREED. International is above them all in the medium to large diesel engines!

Originally Posted By: Bambam

Maybe, but if you have ever had a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD, i could definitely understand frustration with the engine. They are some of the worst engineered, hardest to work on engines ever made!

I have my own stories about the local Dodge dealer.
My best example of attempted customer abuse was when my truck was suffering from off-idle hesitation and displaying a TPS fault code on my programmer. Since I was in the middle of a thrash to get my car ready for a track event, I didn't think I had the time to fix the truck. So I took it to my local dealer, and he quoted my $860 to fix it. I knew this was Bee Ess from the start because I had replaced the TPS assembly a few years before for $350. I ordered a replacement sensor online for $180 and replaced it in about 15 minutes using no tools more complicated than a Phillips screwdriver. Then I started the truck up, hooked it to my trailer, and did a 1600-mile round trip tow.

90% of the dealers out there are useless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Maybe, but if you have ever had a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD, i could definitely understand frustration with the engine. They are some of the worst engineered, hardest to work on engines ever made!

Are they International made? I thought they were made by someone else now?

Are they International made? I thought they were made by someone else now?

The 6.7L "Scorpion" Diesel, which Ford is now using, is an in-house engine. The 6.0L (VT365) and the 6.4L (Maxxforce) are/were International products.

Cummins owns the commercial diesel truck market. Nothing is more bulletproof than the 5.9 CTD. Its too bad they had to put it in a lousy truck, lol.

The vast majority of military heavy vehicles run Cummins diesels. The reason.....reliability.

Ford = great overall truck, [censored] diesel.

Dodge = lousy truck, bulletproof diesel.

Last edited:
Cummins owns the commercial diesel truck market. Nothing is more bulletproof than the 5.9 CTD. Its too bad they had to put it in a lousy truck, lol.

The vast majority of military heavy vehicles run Cummins diesels. The reason.....reliability.

Ford = great overall truck, [censored] diesel.

Dodge = lousy truck, bulletproof diesel.

Well, to be fair, the new Dodge trucks are quite nice, and the new Ford engine appears to be quite problem free at this point in time.

We'll see how that plays out.

Our dodges 90',91',95',98',05' have had more axle/wheel bearing failures than fords we've had. The doors rattle, the dashes crack-95',98,05', the 05 HVAC has a mind of its own. The cargo/3rd brake light has leaked on the 3 later models, the electrical/power systems are horrid /w power window and radio issues. The trans G-360,NV 4500, NV 5600 are very imprecise shifting compared to the ford PSD ZF-6. Alternators have all been replaced under 100k miles.

THEY ARE JUST JUNK! Period

Give me a 6.0 and I' will do the ugrades/deletes and be WAY better off.
It's true about dodge having a 500k mile motor in a 50k mile truck..atleast through 05'.
Ford's body and running gear is WAY WAY tougher.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Chevy Duramax=great truck and great engine.

01.gif
cheers3.gif

I have owned and run all three domestic diesels and tow heavy with them...IMHO the Ford was by far the most troublesome..not just the 6.0 engine but the entire running gear and cheap little knick knacks...The Chevy was pretty good, no real issues except losing a rear end at 100K miles. Decent truck but not as stable when towing as the Dodge and Ford. Dodge 6.7 has been the all around winner in all of the categories that are important to us in our use. It's realible and powerful. ALL OF them have DPF, soot, turbo issues, etc. if you are not working them hard like they were built to do! DO NOT buy this truck and haul a few sheets of plywood from Home Depot and then expect to not have emission related problems. get a gas engine. Work them hard and do the scheduled maintenance and you should be happy...You can get a lemon in any of the Big Three trucks...Some of the [censored] you hear online is just that...[censored]...Chevy people hate Fords...Ford people hate Dodge...etc, etc...I owned each with an open mind, and decided which one worked best for my particular application...I take care of it and it has treated me well...I would own another Dodge Cummins 6.7 without hesitation.

Interesting thread.

I ended up with my 09 Dmax after hanging at a bunch of RV related sites and actually asking some of the big wheelers we met all over the country.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
I take care of it and it has treated me well...I would own another Dodge Cummins 6.7 without hesitation.

Not to derail, but I must agree with your point. They all make some pretty fine trucks, and have noticeably evolved over the years. I remember years back how bargain basement the Dodge trucks used to look compared to the Chevs and GMCs. Back in the early 1990s, the Chevs and GMCs had the "Cadillac" interior quality. Dodges now are beautiful inside, and Chevy had, at least for a time, some pretty awful plasticky interiors.

As for rear ends and other miscellaneous problems and lemons, sure, any of them can have a problem. My dad's Chev from the "nice interior" era had leak issues. A friend's Dodge diesel had rear end issues. Not pleasant, but such is life. Both vehicles were used for some pretty severe towing.

Interestingly, over the last decade, the Dodge and GM trucks both use the AAM 11.5" axle. (There are a few minor differences, but they are essentially the same). Any discussion of one being "better" than the other would be purely anecdotal.

Overall, the Cummins is and has been the most reliable engine and the most flexible when it comes to mods... but the DMax is only a nanosecond behind. GM puts the best auto trans behind their diesels, hands down, and Dodge/Ram has historically been the worst. Ford's been up and down. Axle are pretty much the same across he board and where there are differences (Dana vs AAM vs Sterling, they are not huge. I'd put Sterling and AAM about even, with Dana ( the Dana 80) a tick behind.

Jim, I would agree on the older Ford diesel automatics (such as the E4OD, etc.), but the TorqShift automatic in the 6.0 PSD van has been INDESTRUCTIBLE-far and away the best part on that truck-and I am hard on work truck trannys (never had one make it to 150K before & approaching 260K on this one! If only the rest of it was that good...

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Turn off the EGR. It's a simple fix. For the record: I don't like dodges either. My 24V CTD was a complete JUNK PILE, motor/body/drivetrain. never again will I waste my money on a Dodge.

Hook me up with a 6-Horse GN and I will outpull AND outlast the Ford/DMax any and every day. Ask me how I know
grin.gif

Having one lemon is no reflection on the truck itself. When ranchers are gathered together, there are more Dodges, old and new, parked in the field with livestock trailers hooked to them than any other truck. Does Ford or GM have the "1 million mile club" and hand out badges? I haven't seen one yet. Yeah, I like my Dodge just a little bit.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back