Bosch Platinum + 4 spark plugs---opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been a huge fan of all the fancy spark plugs out there. I'm sure they might be nice for some with the longer life, but not for me. I just like normal copper plugs and change them out when needed.

They're spark plugs. I have NEVER noticed a single difference between different brands in all of our different cars over the years...NGK, Champion, Bosch, Denso, etc.

Multi-electrode is done for longevity, BTW. Everyone has their own version of it (2, 3, 4 electrode).

Typically I go for the Denso ultra-sharp (0.4mm tip) iridium plugs in performance applications. I was very pleased with them in my S4 this last time around.

I ran them for years when they first came out. Worked great in a variety of cars and trucks.

But there's enough anecdotal squealing out there to be careful. Some cars are fussy.

Don't know why but they made my Camaro run like [censored]. This was a good while back and I decided to try them, against some other Camaro owners suggestion not to.

Gapped properly, torqued properly...they just didn't run that well. I've read it works well on some engines and some not so great. Mystery...

Originally Posted By: Rand
what cars are bosch +4's oem in?

None to the best of my knowledge.

Mazda Wankel rotaries have multiple side electrode plugs, but they don't have pistons. (or cams or valves, etc...) They were not Bosch

Toyota Tacoma 3.4s came equipped with two side electrode plugs (like the Bosch +2) but they weren't Bosch

my anecdotal experience is that they worked just about as well as regular copper cored Bosch Supers.

I used them successfully on several of my cars (Impala, Corvette, Van). That was BEFORE iridiums (just put in Murano), these are the BEST plugs. I took a set out of my daughter's Chevy Malibu after 105,000 miles, they looked NEW !

A little pricey, but for one time cost (100,000 miles) who cares.

Last edited:
the +4's are great marketing hype.. they claim is the spark fires all 4 prongs, which is theoretically impossible, as current flows the path of LEAST resistance. so as it fires 1 prong, resistance changes, so the spark hunts for another prong. during this hunt, this is where misfires can occur.
these are also only single platnum plugs.
they don't work very well long term, they look cool though.

the toyota tacoma's require the double prong plug, I think it was because the angle of the cylinder head??
But from what I've seen, that's a factory spec and I'm OK with it.
but I never install a hype type plug. Just use NGK's and you'll be fine!

Originally Posted By: Rand
what cars are bosch +4's oem in?

Many high-performance Audis. My S4 had either the Bosch or NGK quad-tips as OEM, for example. In fact, it was a "custom" version of the +4 with a slightly longer center electrode.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I tend to agree with most of these previous comments. Hadn't seen them before so I thought I would ask. I'll be going with Bosch Iridium plugs this time.

I got my Bosch Iridium plugs for my Murano from Rock Auto, in fact I just got my $12 rebate check today !

Good Choice, one of best plugs there is !

Last edited:
Most mechanics don't like Bosch plugs in anything except where they were originally specd. And even then , not always.
Especially so with odd designs.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Most mechanics don't like Bosch plugs in anything except where they were originally specd. And even then , not always.
Especially so with odd designs.

Bosch was actually making NGKs (under license) for a long time...there isn't a huge difference between them, truthfully.

In my 328, Bosch plugs cause misfires, stumbling, ultra-rich running, etc. They were awful. Replaced with OE NGK "Laser" plugs and never once had a problem. I now use a different temperature range (over 16psi vs 6.5psi at the time), but still only NGK OE.

I refuse to put Bosch in anything now, they even made my Honda lawnmower struggle and sputter (to the point of stalling), yet replaced with a Denso and I can now cut grass an inch taller than what made the Bosch plug stall, without issue. And no, no other changes, not even the gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back