Analysis performed by Blackstone Labs 2/27/06

EQUIPMENT MAKE: 2003 Mercedes Benz E320
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 3.2L V-6
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline -- Unleaded
Miles on Engine: 53,581
OIL USE INTERVAL: 14,521 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Mobil 1 0W/40
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

PAUL: It looks like you onboard computer is directing you in the proper manner. Universal averages show typical wear from this type of engine after 7230 miles on the oil. Your wear metals pretty much beat most of those averages after your 14,521 miles on the oil. The TBN was 2.7, some active additive left. 1.0 is low. We found a bit of fuel but it didn't hurt anything. We worry when it goes over 2.0%. Silicon was okay at 10 ppm so the air filter is getting the job done. Looking good! We think you can trust the oil change monitor light.

Numbers on right are universal averages:
ALUMINUM 5 5
CHROMIUM 0 1
IRON 12 16
COPPER 7 6
LEAD 2 6
TIN 0 1
MOLYBDENUM 62 51
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 3 3
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 1
BORON 66 76
SILICON 10 10
SODIUM 4 6
CALCIUM 2203 2298
MAGNESIUM 86 272
PHOSPHORUS 688 794
ZINC 767 907
BARIUM 0 0

Numbers on the right are “should be values”
INSOLUBLES% = 0.3 WATER% = Trace 0.1
ANTIFREEZE% = 0.0 0.0
FUEL% = FLASHPOINT IN ºF = 375 >375
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF = 69.3 65-76

I also had the MB "Lifetime" ATF tested and will post on the ATF forum.

Doesn't get any better than this. Hard to find anything wrong here.

welcome.gif

Paul:

I second the welcome. And I agree with Al. There's absolutely no indication of a problem here. IMO, you can continue on course with confidence.

If you want to take this a step further, consider ordering particle counts in your next UOA. At Blackstone, IIRC, it adds $20 or $25 to the price of the UOA. When you can positively confirm that you don't have any significant amount of particles over 5-10 microns (the smallest clearances in most piston engines are in this range), you can confidently dispel the doubts sewn by those who believe that taking oil beyond 3k miles is a sign of moral decay. I've examined the PCs for both our Sequoia and G35 and am now very confident that I am treating our expensive engines properly.
cheers.gif

Oh yeah, watch yourself here. If you're at all attuned to things mechanical, this site will prove only slightly less addictive than a rich mixture of heroin and crack cocaine. . .

Thanks for the welcomes. I've been watching this forum for a long time and enjoying what people have been saying about various oils and filters. Since there's alot of controversy in the Mercedes community regarding oil change intervals, fleece filters, and the inboard computer telling you when the oil should be changed, I was hoping that my post here would help other Mercedes people (and others on extended oil useage). I've already posted this info on two popular Mercedes forums for the same reasons.

Actually, I was tossing around the idea of having the extra particle test, but since my results were well below the recommendation, I passed.

By the way, I'm not a pro mechanic -- I've always been a "weekend" mechanic.

Regards,
Paul...

Paul, Blake, thanks!

I average about 18K miles/yr, so the oil change interval has been about 9 months.

I've been using Mobil 1 since the early 90's in previous cars and was happy with it. There's only a handful of synthetics that MB recommends, and Mobil 1 is easy to find. I just picked up a bunch for $5/qt on sale around here.

By the way, that's not much mileage for an 03 E320 -- another person on an MB forum posted that he just hit 100K miles on his 03!!

Regards,
Paul....

Hi William,
Thanks, and nice seeing you here! I wish that guy with the 100K miles did an UOA -- I'd be interested to see what his wear elements were. It would be a look into the future for us!

Regards,
Paul....

This report is yet another demonstration of evidence why A3 rated oils perform better and are recommended in these engines....contrary to those experimenting with 5-20 in these engines to prove a self-perpetuating falacy.

I was under the impression that the primary difference between an A3 and A1 is viscosity.

The only way to produce evidence that an A3 outperforms an A1 would be to run identical engines in identical conditions and measure the results.

In general three decades of tests at Mobil and ExxonMobil indicate that for most engines - at least in the Mobil 1 lineup - the 20W is all most engines will ever need.

paul,

Congratulations on the results of this report. Interesting to see a non-EP M1 go the 15K mile distance, especially the 0W-40, which does not have a large following here on BITOG.

Cheers, Mark

This engine has an eight quart sump...so this is equal to going 9000 miles with a 5 qt sump, or 7200 miles in a 3.2L V-6 with a 4 qt sump.

If you recall the infamous "Oil Change Interval Formula":

OCI = (C*)(sump-qts)(mpg)(cubic inches/Hp)

There is a direct corrolation between sump capacity and drain intervals. Look at the sump capacities of some European 6/8 cylinder engines and you can see why they're able to run such long service intervals.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by marco246:
paul,

Congratulations on the results of this report. Interesting to see a non-EP M1 go the 15K mile distance, especially the 0W-40, which does not have a large following here on BITOG.

Cheers, Mark

The M-1 0W40 is the only grade of M-1 that Mercedes recommends under their 229.5 spec. Considering the types of posts I see on the various Mercedes forums regarding oil type and OCIs, it's my guess that many Mercedes owners (non-diesel) don't bother with UOAs and would never visit BITOG.

TooSlick: My manual says that the sump takes 8.5 qts for the V6, and 8 qts for the V8. But you're right, these cars have large sumps and that's a big help!

Regards,
Paul

Well, I have run both oils in such engines and there is no way M-1 5-30 is the same animal as the 0-40. Aside from the increased consumption of the thinner grade, the condition and appearance of it compared to an A3 oil with the same mileage tells the whole story. Another reason why GC does so well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back