Castrol Syntec 5W-40, 5,591 miles, Audi Q5 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, DI (yes, I must be crazy - have an extended warranty). I'll see if Castrol responds. After that I'll email AoA and the dealer.

-Dennis

Dennis maybe it's just me but this Syntec 5W-40 seems to have a drastically different add pack than the SN Syntec or Edge Titanium I've used in my WRX. Granted I use 30 weight but still the fundamentals should be similar...

If this is SN Syntec, there should be more moly, boron, phosphorus, and zinc, and half the calcium. And my WRX only chews the TBN down to 6-7 or so. 3.x seems low. Is the dealer really using Syntec? Perhaps they are using older SM Syntec before the 2011 reformulation, but even then there should be more moly. Something is off

Last edited:
1. 28% nitration is not really that bad. Ideally you'd like it under 20, but this is not anything to lose sleep over.

2. The Q5 is an A4-based crossover and weighs about 4,000 lbs. It's an A4 drivetrain and basically an A4 wagon that got stretched vertically and had bigger tires put on it. (Yes, I know there are other differences...) The 3.2L 6 is actually the larger of the two engines available in the U.S., the other being the 2.0TFSI, which is also more than adequate.

After looking at the VOA that I linked above, I'm convinced this was not Syntec 5W-40 despite the part number on the receipt saying that it is. I couldn't get any info out of Castrol.

Since we're going to be going back to our regular dealer, I don't think I'm even going to bother contacting the dealer that did this oil change. Although I may just mention it to the regular dealer. I ended up heading to Autozone and picking up M1 0W-40 on sale. I'll run that to 15k miles and then go for the next dealer change.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back