Going in for a Colo@oscopy Wed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace @ with n. I'm going in to be checked because of a possible internal 'roid,because of bleeding. First time for this procedure. What can i expect?

Not much. The drugs will make it so you don't remember. You will have to consume some "magic potion" to clean your intestines before going in.

After you drink the magic potion and the action wanes, remember this:

"It's *not* a f a r t."

They will give you some "colon blow" that you have to drink. Stuff is nasty, but if you mix with Gatoraid, no so bad. Spend the next day on the Johnny, you might want to put a seat belt on it!

They should "twilight" you for the procedure. You won't remember anything. You will be starving afterwards though.

Dave

its ok, over quickly, you sleep thru it. dont cook or drive afterward.
refrigerate the liquid they give you and close your nose, and just drink it not a big deal

Although you will be hungry afterwards go easy on the food for the first 24 hrs. Your digestive tract will be a little sluggish from the twilight, the pipeline will be empty, and if you eat too much too fast you may end up with a bad case of constipation, indigestion and flatuence.

Last edited:
Nothing to it, drink the gal of juice, sit on the pot, and go to sleep. Altho I never went to sleep, don't know why, Dr. claimed I was the first one he ever had that did,t go out, but it was no big deal, just a little uncomfortable was all.

The "twilight" will keep you awake but it's pretty much the equivalent of being black-out drunk, from what my parents have told me. It causes amnesia.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The "twilight" will keep you awake but it's pretty much the equivalent of being black-out drunk, from what my parents have told me. It causes amnesia.

I think most procedures are done beyond twilight. I was asked to count up to ten...Not sure I made "1" same with wife.

You'll probably have some "gas" afterward (I believe they mildly inflate the intestine during the procedure).

The first time, I remember telling the nurse as she injected the anesthetic "I don't feel a thing...." (I imagine she was thinking 3... 2... 1...), next thing I remember is waking from a particularly sound dreamless sleep, groggily: "what, what... is it over?" Yup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mahansm
Not much. The drugs will make it so you don't remember. You will have to consume some "magic potion" to clean your intestines before going in.

After you drink the magic potion and the action wanes, remember this:

"It's *not* a f a r t."

Sounds like good, clean fun for the entire family.

I had one a few years ago, don't sweat it, the "cleaning" phase is much worse than the "probe" phase. Drinking gallon of that tasteless Karo syrupy junk was awful. I was ripping some load ones after as well. I did it right in front of the nurse and while I was mortified, she laughed and said it was normal since fill you up with air.
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

It's well worth it.

I'm currently watching a college friend die from colon cancer-he has a week or two left at most.

It would have been prevented if he would have had a colonoscopy on a regular basis. Instead he's in hospice care waiting to die from something that was probably preventable.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's well worth it.

I'm currently watching a college friend die from colon cancer-he has a week or two left at most.

It would have been prevented if he would have had a colonoscopy on a regular basis. Instead he's in hospice care waiting to die from something that was probably preventable.
Sorry to hear that. Spend as much time as can with him and try to enjoy every moment.

Piece of cake. Like several others have said, chill the goop you have to drink, and have lots of reading material at hand for when the stuff kicks in. Ask the IV nurse beforehand if it's OK to holler and it keeps both of you smiling. Say "ouch" when they stick you, even if it doesn't really hurt. Make sure you have someone to drive you home, 'cos the happy juice lasts for hours.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back