RADIATOR FLUID QUESTIONS FOR 2010 NISSAN ARMADA

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Armada came with Nissan Extend Life anti-freeze. I'm usually a drain radiator and refil what I drain every fall kinda guy. It's quick and easy so I never worried.

How long can I use the exted stuff from Nissan? And what replacement fluid is OK to use in the Nissan brands place??

Thanks for the help. My 04 F-150 and 02 Explorer all get fresh standard Prestone every year so I'm new to the Extend stuff.

I would use Zerex Asian coolant. If it were me I would go 4 years on the factory fill and then every 2 years just drain & fill the radiator (probably half the capacity) with the Zerex Asian.

check your owners manual but usually at least 5 years before need to worry about it (or 60k miles)
some are as high as 10yr 100k+ miles

Hey Biscut, would you mind not capitalizing every post that you make. I realize that you are new here, but its really annoying and rude. This is Bitog, your question will get answered one way or the other and you will not be ignored. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. No other options but Zerex Asian and Nissan formulation?

See this TSB:

Quote:
NTB09-040a - NEW BLUE NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT

SERVICE INFORMATION:
In calendar year 2009, Nissan began filling some vehicles at the factory with a NEW Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (LLC) that is blue in color.
NOTE: LLC = Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant

The transition to this new Blue LLC continued though MY 2010. Beginning with MY 2011, all Nissan vehicles are filled at the factory with the Blue LLC.
• MY 2009 and 2010: Some vehicles are filled at the factory with Blue LLC.
• MY 2011: All vehicles are filled at the factory with Blue LLC.

Blue LLC is designed to have a service life of 7 years/105,000 miles for the factory fill, and 5 years/75,000 miles for subsequent replacement fills.

• Blue LLC one gallon pre-diluted:
P/N 999MP – LP25500P
- The one gallon containers are pre-diluted with 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water.
- Do not add additional water when using pre-diluted Blue LLC.

• Blue LLC one quart concentrate:
P/N 999MP – L255QTP
- The one quart concentrate containers are intended for extreme cold weather application.
- Use the concentrate without mixing (do not add water).
- Add directly to the cooling system in specific amounts as directed on the container label.

Additional Information for using Blue LLC:

Blue LLC and Green-colored Nissan LLC (P/N 999MP-AF000P) are compatible with each other:
• Blue can be mixed/added with Green
• Green can be mixed/added with Blue

CAUTION:
• Adding Green LLC to Blue LLC will reduce/shorten the life expectancy of the Blue LLC to that of the Green LLC (4 years / 60,000 miles).
• LLC must always be used with demineralized or distilled water, otherwise the life expectancy of the LLC (Blue or Green) will be degraded and cooling system damage may occur.

The FSM says "After 60,000 miles (96,000 km) or 48 months, replace every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or 24 months." regarding to the engine coolant replacement interval.

Great info!!
laugh.gif
Thanks for posting!

Sorry, Wanted to add: I looked at Prestone "Extend" in WallyWorld and it says compatible with everthing. Is that possible? Are these extended fluids pretty much the same?? But different colors?

Just wondering!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Thanks for the replies. No other options but Zerex Asian and Nissan formulation?

I wouldn't pick Zerex Asian formula as my first choice for Asian coolant. Like many of the Asian OEM's now, it's only available as a premix, ie., half water. Basically only practical for radiator drain and refill, not a system flush.

Check with your local Ford dealer(s) for full strength Motorcraft Specialty Green, it's a full strength Asian P-OAT. Also Beck-Arnley is a full strength A P-OAT, it can be pricey, but it is full strength so twice the coolant of a premix in a gallon.

Unfortunately, looks as though Nissan coolant is now a premix by the gallon. And, if it's like Honda Type2 full strength quarts are very expensive, if you can find it.

I wouldn't use Prestone AM/M with 2eha while under warranty. Never know about gasket compatibility issues.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Unfortunately, looks as though Nissan coolant is now a premix by the gallon. And, if it's like Honda Type2 full strength quarts are very expensive, if you can find it.

I was able to purchase a gallon of full-strength green coolant about a year ago for a drain & fill of my Pathfinder's radiator, but you're correct in that there doesn't appear to be any full-strength option for blue coolant, which is unfortunate.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Sorry, Wanted to add: I looked at Prestone "Extend" in WallyWorld and it says compatible with everthing. Is that possible?

Actually it is not.

Valvoline back in 2003 challenged Honeywell's claims that Prestone Extended Life was universally compatible. In March of 2006 the BBB's National Advertising Division (NAD) recommended that Honeywell stop stating that Prestone Extended Life can be used in all makes and models of automobiles and light trucks and is compatible with all other antifreeze products.

Honeywell responded in a statement that said it "strongly disagreed" with NAD's decision and would appeal the case to the Better Business Bureau's (BBB) National Advertising Review Board (NARB). The NARB has upheld the NAD's recommendation. Again Honeywell refused to back down.

As a result the NARB sent a letter to the FTC's Division of Advertising Practices stating it "found that the 'meets manufacturer specifications' message (on Prestone packaging) has not been substantiated" and that "Honeywell had not provided a reasonable basis in support of this message."

And as far as I know that's where things sit.

There is simply no way that the Prestone coolant is compatible in any meaningful way with a nitrited coolant, or a HOAT, or any coolant requirement calling for silicate.

I couldn't see the Prestone Extend compatible like the banner on the bottle says. [censored]! That's just wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back