Pros and Cons of a Dually

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dually isn't needed for a 12,000 lb fifth wheel. Mine is 33' and weighs 11,000. I've pulled it for 5 years with either a '07 Ram 3500 SRW or the 2500HD in my signature.

It gets awfully breezy in some areas of Washington. I've never felt like the truck wasn't in complete control.

DSCN0715-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: DesertDually
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our current RV weighs just under 13k pounds and is set up as a fifth wheel with about 4500 pounds on the tongue.

I can assure you after hauling it all over this country in all kinds of weather, up and down mountains, and on paved and unpaved roads I have NEVER felt a need for dual rear wheels. Snowstorms, thunderstorms, mountain winds, etc.

If you hitch to your bumper the difference is huge, but with a long wheelbase 2500HD Dmax and a fifth wheel setup you will not need anything more.

Yeah, I was speaking more from a bumper-pull perspective.

Or if you get a large truck camper, my uncle has a big one and ended up with a dually after having an older 2500 GM diesel with airbags and high capacity rear tires blown up hard as rocks... Still swayed and wandered he found. The dually is now a 3500 GM diesel which drives much better with the camper on or off he finds.

Pros: dually has that bad butt factor(G-rated), Stability hauling heavy loads,
Cons: 6 tires= $$$$, snow traction is not good in a 2wd, Some may find them harder to drive/ park. I don't have any issues driving and don't mind backing in a corner spot out in the back 50, as I need the exercise.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Don't think I mentioned the weight of the trailer. The one we saw that we really liked was a tad over 12,000lbs dry weight.
Check your laws. you may need a CDL to pull that much weight. Sometimes they give RV's a break but usually any trailer over 10k requires a Class A CDL.

The rear end of a dully is super stiff w/o weight on it.

man, they need to send the legislature home out there in CA. ours meets for 140 days every 2 years.

hard to fathom, needing a commercial license to drive a pickup with a trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back