Pentosin High Performance II 5W-40 HP for VW GTI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of trying this Pento HP II 5w-40 for my 06 VW GTI MKV FSI, a turbo direct injection 2.0 engine.
I can get it for around $37 for a 5 liter jug.
Please advise.

Originally Posted By: nicksgti
I'm thinking of trying this Pento HP II 5w-40 for my 06 VW GTI MKV FSI, a turbo direct injection 2.0 engine.
Please advise.

Where are you getting it from?

It's a Low-Saps (ACEA C3) oil. BMW LL04/ MB 229.51/ VW 505.01 / 505.00.

Probably a Group 3 base being that the MSDS states "Blend of Base Mineral Oil Organo Calcium and Organo Zinc additives". In Germany it's sold as Pentosynth HC 5w-40. HC = Hyrdocracked IIRC

ACEA A3/B4/B3/C3

I don't think it's particularly special when compared to other oils with the same OEM ratings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket
Please advise.

Where are you getting it from?

I'm picking up some suspension parts from fcp groton, who gave me a 20% off code, "maxrossi20", so I was looking at the oils they were offering while I qualify for free shipping for orders above $149.

I am told that I can share this code which will expire in less than 30 days.
And I am in no way connected with this company.

If you're into trying different premium oils then sure it's not a bad price. But you may be picking the wrong oil for your car. Check the exact spec you need.

Additionally, there is a deal for Mobil 1 with a good filter at Autozone right now - 5 quarts for $30. As good an oil plus a filter for less money.

It's a rather unremarkable oil. Unless you're getting it dirt cheap, there's a dozen other oils I'd rather use.

If you're into trying different premium oils then sure it's not a bad price. But you may be picking the wrong oil for your car. Check the exact spec you need.

Additionally, there is a deal for Mobil 1 with a good filter at Autozone right now - 5 quarts for $30. As good an oil plus a filter for less money.

I'll check out their ad. I hope they're including the 0w-40 in the sale because that's the M1 I need.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's a rather unremarkable oil. Unless you're getting it dirt cheap, there's a dozen other oils I'd rather use.

I see, I thought maybe I was getting a good deal on a better exotic oil.

I'll check out their ad. I hope they're including the 0w-40 in the sale because that's the M1 I need.

Yes I had no problem getting that deal. Even better thing that you can do is order it online, get your total to $100 (you can upgrade your filter) and receive a $25 gift card. I wish I could have found $40 worth of stuff I needed.

Just search for 0w40, adjust the quantity to 10 quarts, add 2 oil filters of your choice, and the promo should be reflected automatically.

Good luck!

I would go with the M1 0W-40 deal if you're going to use a VW 502.00 oil.

Personally, I would use a 504.00 oil on a direct injection car, as there is some pretty good evidence that it will reduce intake deposits and should be OK on a fixed change interval.

Careful with the fcp parts, theyre chinese. They do fail, Id pay the little extra for the Lemforder or Febi whatever they have. And as stated, the oil is nothing special. Relatively good deal though, it lists for about 60.

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1

Personally, I would use a 504.00 oil on a direct injection car, as there is some pretty good evidence that it will reduce intake deposits and should be OK on a fixed change interval.

the evidence is not based on the 504 itself though. The evidence is based on using Low-SAPS oils.

Then again... I use Shell Rotella T6 on my 2.0T FSI

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

the evidence is not based on the 504 itself though. The evidence is based on using Low-SAPS oils.

It's not clear that the evidence with regard to intake deposits is "lower SAPS." Most of that paper concerned emissions issues.

PAPER

It is Euro 4 versus Euro 3 oils that was actually tested - there was nothing published about the whys and wherefores of the deposits. There are some other big differences between Euro 3 and Euro 4 oils other than SAPS content, flash point being a big one. Euro 4 oils have much higher flash points.

If you want a Euro 4 oil for a VAG vehicle that carries the manufacturer's approval, then 504.00 is it.

I appreciate everyone's responses so far.
I'm still learning the terms ACEA, saps, 502/504/505, euro 4/3, etc. so I have a lot to read and learn here.
Since learning about motor oil will take some time, I'd like to ask for quick, personal recommendations.

Originally Posted By: dparm
...there's a dozen other oils I'd rather use.
dparm: What would you recommend with consideration for availability and cost?

...I would use a 504.00 oil on a direct injection car, as there is some pretty good evidence that it will reduce intake deposits and should be OK on a fixed change interval....

....If you want a Euro 4 oil for a VAG vehicle that carries the manufacturer's approval, then 504.00 is it.
dbrowne1: Which 504.00 oils would you recommend + avail/cost?

Originally Posted By: Audios
Careful with the fcp parts, theyre chinese. They do fail, Id pay the little extra for the Lemforder or Febi whatever they have...
Audios: I agree, I stick with oem for critical parts. In this case I'm getting oem Sachs struts for a '98 E39.

UG_Passat: Seems like we have the same engine, I'll look into the Rotella T6. It's certainly inexpensive and readily available.

technically, with the introduction of Euro IV standards, VW revamped the 502.00 standard to include Low-SAP oil.

Where did you hear, or how did you determine, that? My impression was that 502.00 was a dead letter in Europe and everything (in the VAG world) has been on 504/507 for several years over there.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
504 is M1 ESP 5w30

Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 is a 504 oil that is available at VW and Audi dealers. It's about $8.50/qt around here right now.

M1 ESP 5W-30 does not technically carry 504 approval as far as I know, but M1 "recommends" it for 504/507 applications and I have no doubt it would pass. It's available at Pep Boys for about $8.50/qt.

504 is M1 ESP 5w30

Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 is a 504 oil that is available at VW and Audi dealers. It's about $8.50/qt around here right now.

M1 ESP 5W-30 does not technically carry 504 approval as far as I know, but M1 "recommends" it for 504/507 applications and I have no doubt it would pass. It's available at Pep Boys for about $8.50/qt.

I take that back about the M1 - it is a 504/507 approved oil and is also "recommended" as meeting the quality level of 502 and several other VW specs.

technically, with the introduction of Euro IV standards, VW revamped the 502.00 standard to include Low-SAP oil.

Where did you hear, or how did you determine, that? My impression was that 502.00 was a dead letter in Europe and everything (in the VAG world) has been on 504/507 for several years over there.

that's only your impression. 502.00 specification hasn't gone the way of the dodo yet, as it is still a current specification for VW. If it has, than ALL NEW VW's, Audis, etc would be on 504/507 only.

Euro 4 standards came into play in 2005, which was the time when VW updated the 502 specification to meet Euro 4.

504 is M1 ESP 5w30

M1 ESP 5w30 DOES CARRY 504/507 approval. It is on the current Audi list.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/09/med...n_1997-2012.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back