Snow tires off soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking hard about taking the snow tires off our cars soon. Given the lack of cold and snow this winter, it makes more sense to run the all-seasons instead of the snows. Most days are in the high 30's, and we haven't had a flake in weeks. The last time I remember a salt truck out was a few weeks ago.

Of course, if the snows come off, it's guaranteed we'll have a string of bad weather.

Go ahead. Keep an eye on the Weather Channel. They're usually pretty good at giving advance warning of any snow.

I'm assuming the tires have their own rims.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Go ahead. Keep an eye on the Weather Channel. They're usually pretty good at giving advance warning of any snow.

I'm assuming the tires have their own rims.

Yes, they do. It takes about 30 minutes to remove/install the all-season tires/wheels. I'm a bit of a weather junkie, so that helps.

Also, both cars have all-seasons that are at least fair to middling in snow. I'm not swapping on summer-only tires or anything crazy.

Last edited:
Wierd weather 4 sure. Im leaving my snows on for now - but i do have the snows on steelies i got from tirerack and the nice winterforce tires. Im running 1 185 70 14 - the stockers were 185 55 16. I'll tell you i like the Balloon tires on 14s steelies better than the rubberbands on the 16's on this car. Old school. Sciphi wht snows are you running again? Altimax?

The Cruze has Nokian Hakka R snows, the Fit has Blizzak LM-25's. The Altimaxes were on my old Buick last year.

I have only dedicated winter tires (new) for my dedicated winter car, so I'm stuck with them. Otherwise I'd be doing what sciphi is suggesting.

I gotta get a FEL - my Fit goes left with the wheel pointed right. I Didnt hit ANYThING so i dont know whats up with that. Im not running TPMS on the frobnt so my tpms is on and traction control is in full force and non defeatable.

Arco, I believe what you're experiencing is called "torque steer". It's the result of unequal length drive shafts. Some FWD cars have it designed out of the car. The cheaper ones don't.

When I dont mount the snows,the weather goes to junk fast.When I take them off early,they have to go back on almost immediately.Snow tires are a fact of life,and an expense that needs to be spent in New England especially.Besides,if you try to save the tread by leaving them off the majority of the winter,they will dry rot before the tread runs down anyway.Trying to get 4-5 years out of snows is futile.

The weather in the Northeast has been crazy this year. Snow for us has been about 7 inches with 5 of those coming in OCT. You can blame the lack of snow on my buddy, first time since 1988 he hasn't registered his snowmobiles!!! Dave T you suck!!!!

I'm in the Southern Tier of NY.

I know, as soon as the snows come off the weather will turn foul. But since it's possible to throw them on quickly, that in theory should keep everything in check. Yeah, right.
grin.gif

The jack's 10 feet away from the cars, and the snow tires can be stored close by "just in case". Then it's simple to jack the car up and toss the snows back on.

Didn't read all the responses...

They are not "snow" tires. They are "winter" tires. Perfectly suited for temperatures averaging below 50F.

The roads do not need to be snow covered to benefit using winter tires. Especially if the tires are "performance winter" tires vice "snow and ice" winter tires.

And as you mentioned, as soon as you remove them, you will experience the worst winter weather in history.

Such a hassle to lift and swap, 30 min job or not.

I doubt you'll ever wear out snows before they age out, at least that is my case.

So might as well put some miles on them, do long as temperatures aren't too much above 32f.

Yep, a lot of wasted snow tire tread and wasted fuel this year.

Many still run studded snows in my area. You hear them click-clacking by all day long.

Probably going to jinx myself, but I've only had to snowblow 5-6x so far this winter, maybe 2 quarts of fuel for the snowblower!

Joel

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Such a hassle to lift and swap, 30 min job or not.

I doubt you'll ever wear out snows before they age out, at least that is my case.

So might as well put some miles on them, do long as temperatures aren't too much above 32f.

Discount Tire does it for free on all our vehicles since we bought the wheels and tires from them.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When I dont mount the snows,the weather goes to junk fast.When I take them off early,they have to go back on almost immediately.Snow tires are a fact of life,and an expense that needs to be spent in New England especially.Besides,if you try to save the tread by leaving them off the majority of the winter,they will dry rot before the tread runs down anyway.Trying to get 4-5 years out of snows is futile.

I agree with this 100%. You are being responsible and doing the correct thing by using winter tires on your vehicles.

Yes, it is yet another added expense to automobile ownership but you are safer and others are safer with their use.

Leave them on until spring. When they wear out, buy a new set.

I prefer a small government and State's rights, but would not challenge a law to make winter tires mandatory in states that experience frigid temperatures; the tires are that much better.

The driving experience is much better when using dedicated winter and summer tires. I no longer buy all-season tires.

I learned this when I first took the winter tire plunge a few years back. My tires were due for replacement, but winter was near. I rode them until the weather changed and bought winter tires. The difference from previous winters was dramatic to say the least. Come spring, I installed summer tires. The difference again was above words.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Didn't read all the responses...

They are not "snow" tires. They are "winter" tires. Perfectly suited for temperatures averaging below 50F.

The roads do not need to be snow covered to benefit using winter tires. Especially if the tires are "performance winter" tires vice "snow and ice" winter tires.

And as you mentioned, as soon as you remove them, you will experience the worst winter weather in history.

Agree 100%

7 ºC / 44.6 ºF is the magic number to switch your tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back