VOA Amsoil ASL 5W/30 Signature Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Analyzers VOA Amsoil ASL 5W/30 Signature Series 12/02/11
Report states flagged additive levels are different than what should be present for the lubricant identified. Flagged additive is Molybdenum. Confused?
Iron= 1
Chromium= 0
Nickel= 0
Aluminum= 8
Copper= 0
Lead= 0
Tin= 0
Cadmium= 0
Silver= 0
Vanadium= 0
Silicon= 4
Sodium= 1
Potassium= 0
Titanium= 0
Molybdenum= 152
Antimony= 0
Manganese= 0
Lithium= 0
Boron= 229
Magnesium= 14
Calcium= 3681
Barium= 0
Phosphorous= 696
Zinc= 822
Visc@100= 10.6
Base Number= 11.9
Oxidation= 35
Nitration= 12

Looks like a great oil. The folks over at OAI flagged moly because they obviously have not updated their VOA's for Amsoil's new formulations, so it is not anything to be worried about of course. I really like the Additive pack of this oil. Loads of Calcium, moly and boron. TBN is strong and it just looks like a very good oil.

Looks a lot like P-Ultra (more calcium though). If the NOACK Vol.#'s for the new SN Ultra are correct, it may make that the best "over the counter" oil out.

Still credit where credit is due, Amsoil has blended a nice lube here.

This is an amazing add. pack on the ASL SS. Love the high Moly, Calcium & Zinc. Have it in my GMC truck.

The XL line looks good too.

Most oil producers crowd the 800ppm limit. If they have batch-batch variability of +/-5%, for instance, they could set nominal Phos at 760, and then operate in the range of 720-800. 696 seems low because if that is one from the low end of their range, they must be giving up a few possible percentage points of zddp content, or they are allowing +/-7% variation.

According to the information provided in a phone conversation with one of OA's analysts after a variance in one of our requested virgin oil analysis, they allow for a 10% +/- in their Phos/Zinc analysis results. So does Blackstone.

And just imagine how wound up we all get when we find an oil that has 10% higher zddp content! I'm disappointed to find out that labs can't measure it any closer than +/-10%.

We could not agree with you more. FYI....WearCheck also
states a +/- 10% variance in the Phos/Zinc analysis numbers.

Can't help but wonder how extensive other variances might be applicable by Lab in their reported numbers to other parts of their analysis......and none of our requested analysis are
of the $25 variety.

Happy Amsoil boosted their Moly for the Sig. Series.

Converting the Supercharged GTO from it's steady diet of 5w-30 Mobil 1 since new, to Amsoil 5w-30 ASL.

Quote:
I'm disappointed to find out that labs can't measure it any closer than +/-10%.

They can, but not for a $25-35 analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back