Still not too clear on Castrol.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading the threads here, and on the Castrol sight.......

I recently bought some "Edge" Gold Bottle at Advance Auto. I'm just now noticing it doesn't say "with Titanium" like the stuff at Wal-Mart. The bottles I have say it meets GM4718 and SM. Is the "With Titanium" an SN Formulation? I feel like I got jipped.
laugh.gif
I want to run this for 15k.

There are two types of Edge out there now. The original Edge is the one "with Titanium". Then there is Edge with SPT which is the former Castrol Syntec.

The Castrol sight is terrible. SO if Edge with Titanium is their "most advanced oil ever".... is it Group IV?

Is the Edge with Syntec Group III?

Which of their Diesel oils is synthetic?

Check the API cert on the bottle.
You may have gotten some older stock Edge SM, which many consider to be the better oil compared to Edge SN.
If it is the API SM stuff, you've actually made a good purchase.
You certainly didn't get gypped.

Originally Posted By: montero1
The Castrol sight is terrible. SO if Edge with Titanium is their "most advanced oil ever".... is it Group IV?

At has some group IV in it.

Quote:

Yes, with the exception of one grade: 0w-30 (aka GC).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
montero1 said:
Quote:

Yes, with the exception of one grade: 0w-30 (aka GC).

Does Castrol still have the "domestic version" of 0W-30 that was nowhere near as good as the GC formula? If so then you have to look very carefully on the label to check to see if it says made in Germany. As I recall the "domestic" Castrol says made from domestic and imported components.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Does Castrol still have the "domestic version" of 0W-30

Not in recent years. But very old stock may still be sitting on a shelf of some god forsaken AutoZone somewhere in the middle of nowhere..

You got the "old" SM formulation. Don't feel jipped, I think it is probably a better oil with a 15k guarantee. The SN Titanium formulation does not have the 15k guarantee anymore. If I had the choice I would pick what you have. Don't feel bad at all. Feel lucky you ran across the SM.

Originally Posted By: vaboom123
Did you find that at your local sears haha? We have loads of old castrol in odd weights around here.

Haha,yep! I went over there today and they raised the price back up to $9 a quart! It was "clearanced" at $5 a quart last week,what the heck?

$9 a quart?? Holy smokes haha. It think it was around $8 per quart here in WI. I don't know how they will get it off the shelf for that price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back