Myth or Fact: Synthetic Increases MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time you can reduce the amount of parasitic losses throughout the system, you can increase the MPG and also horsepower.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Fact! I don't have the paper handy but a University did a study and showed synthetic with a ~2% mpg advantage over dino oil.

Your tire pressure could make that much difference.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Fact! I don't have the paper handy but a University did a study and showed synthetic with a ~2% mpg advantage over dino oil.

Your tire pressure could make that much difference.
grin2.gif

I think it was directional tires that gave me the biggest mpg improvement +3hwy. Not sure why. switching to synthetic for the first time last year I experienced "gains", fuel economy NOT one of them.

The molecular structure is more uniform and cold temp pumpability is better, so you can gain from that but oils also contain friction modifiers so it's really a balance. It's how the oil is formulated.

Lol, HiTechOilCo on youtube will tell you all who say myth how wrong you are.

It's funny really, he trolls videos and advertises like crazy.

Seriously though, I say myth!

Just saying "synthetic"? Not-at-all.
You would have to say "oil with less friction" and that may be a synth oil but thats not certain.
Generally, to reduce consumption by 1% you would need to reduce friction in the engine by appr 20%.
That is a lot and just the oil type will not make such a difference alone and it will make a bigger difference using a low visc oil. But, a thinner oil with very low friction properties, like a synthtetic, will be better.
To reach that scale of reduction (10, 20, 40%) you would have to use new materials, new surfaces and match up the entire engine design.
Take away: Just change oil visc and type will maybe gain like 0.1% give or take. Go through the vehicle and use the thinnest and the best lubricants in all of the transmission too, change tires to like michelin energy tires, then you may see a real percent. Just oil visc is a statistical gain for all cars in the big scale.
Facts: Look at ANL research on friction in cars
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-01-one-third-car-fuel-consumption-due.html

Last edited:
I find that the MPG savings from the synthetic are activated by the magical "A/C" button on the dash. Pushing it cuts my fuel consumption by 10%. That there synthetic seems to make the engine run cooler by making it hotter inside the car.

crazy.gif

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I find that the MPG savings from the synthetic are activated by the magical "A/C" button on the dash. Pushing it cuts my fuel consumption by 10%. That there synthetic seems to make the engine run cooler by making it hotter inside the car.

crazy.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Coprolite

crazy.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

It is also a "boost" button

Originally Posted By: JAG
Differences exist but it's complicated in that it depends on the additive package and the engine and its usage characteristics. Here are two documents discussing it.
http://www.yubase.com/eng/product/pr_technical_02articles_02.html
http://www.crodalubricants.com/download....b5-bc32bb756ffe

Jag, thanks for the threads. They were very interesting reads and confirm that there are mileage gains to be had with the right synthetic oil as many here have expressed and confirmed. I found the first thread the more interesting of the two. Keep them coming if you have more.

I picked up about 7 MPG (hwy) after I switched to Amsoil 0W-30 oil. I attribute that to having a better cylinder seal after all the gunk was cleaned from the rings.

Hello, I wonder if anyone has ever compared the two (conv. vs. synth.) in a stationary generator. Any improvement would be measured in reduced fuel usage not mpg obviously. Kira

I posted this about 3 weeks ago on a couple of other forums:

For this winter I put Mobil 1 0W-30 + OEM filter.
Hoping for easier starts and better mileage on short trips where the engine barely gets fully warmed up.
Normally I put in whatever major brand dino (Castrol, Penzoil, Havoline) 5W-30 is on sale.
Car is a 2006 Matrix 5-speed with 29,000 miles.
Driven mostly short trips 2-3 times a week, plus road trips.
Sometimes I skip filter changes when the miles are really low, never more than 6000 miles on a filter.

M1 oil has now been in 1000 miles over 13 weeks.
Over 5 fillups MPG has improved maybe 0.5MPG; ranged 26-28.5.
Engine previously consumed no measurable amount of oil over 6 months and 1500-4000 miles.
I check the dipstick every 1000 miles.
In this 1st 1000 miles it has used 1 cup, topped off.
Oil looks a little darker than previous. Some dino residue getting cleaned off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harry j
I picked up about 7 MPG (hwy) after I switched to Amsoil 0W-30 oil. I attribute that to having a better cylinder seal after all the gunk was cleaned from the rings.

7 MILES TO A GALLON??
shocked2.gif
HOLY (&&%^*!!

>>Over 5 fillups MPG has improved maybe 0.5MPG; ranged 26-28.5.
Please don't think I am picking on you but with the variation of 2.5 mpg, how in the world can you claim that you got improvement of 0.5 mpg? Your gains are well under your margin of error.

You are not the first one and I am sure you will not be the last one to make similar claims.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: harry j

7 MILES TO A GALLON??
shocked2.gif
HOLY (&&%^*!!

Yes, I now get 43 MPG on the highway, the Civic was originally stickered at 35 MPG and I was getting around that. I stopped using oil and my rear bumber lost that black coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back