Is Gumout 2x concentrated 100% PEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I direct the jury's attention to Exhibit A & Exhibit B.

Exhibit A is the MSDS for Gumout All In One Non Concentrated 20oz

It has two ingredients listed that total 100%:

1) Distillate (petroleum), light hydrocracked 40.00 - 60.00 %
2) Fuel additive 40.00 - 60.00 %

Blend of kerosine and additives.

Exhibit B is the MSDS for Gumout All In One 2x Concentrated 10oz

It has just one ingredient listed:

Naphthalene >= 0.10 - < 1.00 %

As the trend has become to no longer call out PEA in the MSDS, the missing ingredient is highly likely to be 99%+ PEA.

This is further supported by the fact that fuel additive was 40% to 60% and now the product is 2x concentrated

Therefore it would make sense for it to be at least 80% if not virtually 100% PEA.

So that's virtually 10oz of PEA in this big bottle for about $8.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Neither of those are Regane, according to the MSDS.

The All In One is the same as the two Reganes. Direct info from Gumout here

I would recommend one of 3 Gumout fuel additives: Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Regane High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner (if your vehicles are above 75,000 miles), or our top of the line All in One Complete fuel system cleaner. All three offer polyethyl amine detergents that thoroughly clean all of the parts in your fuel system. Our high mile version has a bit of friction modifier in the formulation to help restore fuel economy, and All in One has a higher treat rate of friction modifier to improve fuel economy – it also treats up to 35 gallons compared to 21 for the other two products. All of these items provide a detergency level that is not found in even top tier gasoline, and they keep new deposits from forming for up to 3000 miles or 10 fill ups on average.
If you are using lower grade gasoline than what your OEM recommends I would pay the extra money and get the right gas for the vehicle. An octane booster can help offset some of the knock issues, but when the label claims to boost octane rating points, it is has a decimal in front of it; for example if you use 89 octane and put in an octane booster that claims to give you 4 octane points, you are getting an 89.4 octane rating, not 93. -Rusty Waples, Gumout

Last edited:
The only products that use the trade-name "Regane" are the SOPUS products. Once the operation was sold to ITW...the name Regane no longer appears on any label of Gumout products.

IMO...The name,"Regane", is to Shell what the name,"Techron", is to Chevron....it is their patented trade-names for PEA.

Since ITW acquired Gumout, you no longer see the name "Regane" on any of the Gumout products. Apparently, SOPUS did not sell the rights to use their trade-name, Regane, to ITW. It appears that SOPUS only the rights to use the name Gumout. People who do not read labels very carefully would never notice the name "Regane" is now missing from all Gumout products.

IMO...does Shell, SOPUS, still manufacture Gumout for ITW...without Regane?

If SOPUS sold the whole operation to ITW....then what name is now being used by ITW for it's version of PEA?

More importantly.... is there any PEA in the new line of Gumout products with the ITW name on the bottle as the manufacturer?

If you look for the old MSDS for the SOPUS Regane products and compare them to the new MSDS for the Gumout products manufactured by ITW....there may be a clue to be found in this mystery.

Last edited:
Why confuse things so much!!!???

So much of what you said is just plain WRONG!

The link I provided was from May 2011 and they are confirming that the top 3 Gumout fuel system cleaners have PEA!!!!!

The Gumout website uses the word Regane as do the Gumout people in the May 2011 article.

Why do so many people on this board need to be spoon fed with evidence when it was already in the post they responded to?

Last edited:
Here is the current line up of products sold by ITWGB and the MSDS links.

None of the Gumout products that are current have the name "Regane", except for the "All in One" and the "High Mileage" fuel system cleaners on the label. The MSDS posts that you listed were all for SOPUS Gumout/Regane products. SOPUS sold Gumout to ITWGB and the name of the company is in the new MSDS listings.

http://www.itwgb.com/search.php

Last edited:
ITWGB no longer/or never did have the following brands for sale to consumers:

Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner - 12 ounce bottle

Gumout All in One Complete Fuel System Cleaner - 20 ounce bottle

These are SOPUS products....discontinued....but if you're lucky....you'll find them at Big Lots.

The only 2 products that ITWGB have their names on, which include the name Regane, are the concentrates....2X Gumout all in one and Gumout High mileage.

Yes I know I included the MSDS for the gumout complete fuel system cleaning product that doesn't have Regane on it.

The reason is that this is the one I am interested in. And I am interested in it because I picked up 3 of them for $4 from Big Lots already.

Given the way that Gumout chart their products, and given the comments in the article I linked to, and given the fact that 6oz/12oz treats 21 gallons and 10oz/20oz treats 35 gallons (ie the same ratio), I can very safely infer that the All In One product is virtually the same as the two Regane products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
The only products that use the trade-name "Regane" are the SOPUS products. Once the operation was sold to ITW...the name Regane no longer appears on any label of Gumout products.

This is a totally inaccurate statement. Just go to the Gumout website and you will see the usage of Regane on the bottles, in the text.

IMO...The name,"Regane", is to Shell what the name,"Techron", is to Chevron....it is their patented trade-names for PEA.

There is no such thing as a "patented trade-name". It is a registered trademark. Using the word patented suggests that they own something to do with the technology which is not true.

Since ITW acquired Gumout, you no longer see the name "Regane" on any of the Gumout products. Apparently, SOPUS did not sell the rights to use their trade-name, Regane, to ITW. It appears that SOPUS only the rights to use the name Gumout. People who do not read labels very carefully would never notice the name "Regane" is now missing from all Gumout products.

Again, this is a totally inaccurate statement. Just go to the Gumout website and you will see the usage of Regane on the bottles, in the text.

It is you who is not reading labels very carefully!

Last edited:
Lastly, if in May 2011 there is an article quoting Gumout people saying that their product contains PEA, and that article was quoted at the beginning of this thread, why would you go around questioning whether Gumout has got PEA in it?

Why would you further say that they are not even calling two of those products Regane when the Gumout spokesperson himself is quoted as calling it Regane?

Why would you doubt that All In One has the same % of PEA when the spokesperson says it is the same as the Regane product except it treats 35 gallons?

The only bottled cleaners that have worked well for me have been Redline SI-1 and BG44K... The others I have tried and it seems like you need to run multiple bottles to get any good results.

Remember, not every company has too show you the chemistry in their formula's.

By my estimation these are the PEA ranges

Redline 15oz bottle. MSDS says 30%-50%. Redline say 50%. So could be 4.5oz to 7.5oz

Techron. 32% has been quoted. 20oz bottle that equals 4.5oz. 12oz bottle that equals 3.6oz.

Gumout non concentrated. MSDS says 40% to 60%. 20oz bottle that equals 8oz to 12oz. 12oz (Regane) bottle that equals 4.8oz to 7.2oz.

Gumout concentrated seems to be 100% PEA. 10oz bottle equals 10oz. 6oz bottle equals 6oz.

If Redline is indeed 50% PEA, then that might be the reason it works better as it has 7.5oz of PEA in it vs less in others.

With Gumout, most people buy Regane which most likely has less oz of PEA ie if 2x concentrated is a 6oz bottle, then the most it likely has either in concentrated or non concentrated was 6oz.

Hence the Gumout All In One Complete is the best bet with 10oz of PEA. I think it is a real bargain at Big Lots for $4 right now.

And how much PEA do you need?

There was a study that I posted that suggested no real difference in effect once you got to 0.03% dosing. They tested up to 0.05%. They also got good results at 0.02% dosing

Using 0.03%, that means .384oz of PEA per gallon tank capacity.

20 gallon tank you need 7.68oz PEA. That's about how much is in Redline if it is indeed 50% PEA.

Using 0.02%, that means .256oz of PEA per gallon tank capacity.

20 gallon tank you need 5.12oz PEA, just about what Techron give you.

Gumout is the cheapest per oz of PEA. Here is what I suggest you use to achieve 0.03% PEA dosing:

1) If your tank is 15.625 gallons or less, the 6oz bottle
2) If your tank is more, then buy the 10oz/20oz bottle and use it in the correct ratio. The whole bottle will treat 26 gallons at 0.03% dosing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket
By my estimation these are the PEA ranges

Redline 15oz bottle. MSDS says 30%-50%. Redline say 50%. So could be 4.5oz to 7.5oz

Techron. 32% has been quoted. 20oz bottle that equals 4.5oz. 12oz bottle that equals 3.6oz.

Gumout non concentrated. MSDS says 40% to 60%. 20oz bottle that equals 8oz to 12oz. 12oz (Regane) bottle that equals 4.8oz to 7.2oz.

Gumout concentrated seems to be 100% PEA. 10oz bottle equals 10oz. 6oz bottle equals 6oz.

If Redline is indeed 50% PEA, then that might be the reason it works better as it has 7.5oz of PEA in it vs less in others.

With Gumout, most people buy Regane which most likely has less oz of PEA ie if 2x concentrated is a 6oz bottle, then the most it likely has either in concentrated or non concentrated was 6oz.

Hence the Gumout All In One Complete is the best bet with 10oz of PEA. I think it is a real bargain at Big Lots for $4 right now.

I have used "Gumout All In One Complete" and the results were disappointing. I also think it depends on more then just PEA... But who knows, I just go by the results after use.

Additionally, if you have a neglected car, consider using 0.02% dosing in back to back tanks. Dislodging too much carbon can foul spark plugs and also you can damage your fuel tank.

Chevron realised this in their study and this is probably why their dosage is nearer 0.02%.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have used "Gumout All In One Complete" and the results were disappointing. I also think it depends on more then just PEA... But who knows, I just go by the results after use.

I had great results on a car that had deteriorated during my ownership. I had kept up all other maintenance on it but the cumulative effect of 10k or so of short trips had created a lot of carbon. I cleaned out the throttle body before also.

It may be that you had a clean car to begin with. People have reported no improvement after all sorts of PEA cleaners and it's usually because there was no fuel system related issue to begin with.

Alternatively, it may be that you needed more than one treatment. As an example, I used the 3M kit including the fuel system cleaner and the fuel system cleaner didn't do much at all. Later I realized why - it only had 10% PEA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
PEA did a ninja vanish in all but Redline's MSDS

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW WHY THIS IS?

Not only did it disappear from MSDS BUTJUST AS IMPORTANTLY MARKETING OF IT HAS ALSO DISAPPEARED, WHICH SEEMS DOWNRIGHT ODD CONSIDERING IT IS THE CRITICAL INGREDIENT IN THE PRODUCTS.

Last edited:
Thanks rjacket and all for your posts on this topic of PEA.

I only use Chevron Techron and Gumout/Regane Fuel System Cleaners as a carrier for my dosing of TC-W3.

I only use these Fuel System cleaners, (in the case of Gumout/Regane, the older SOPUS product, unconcentrated 12 ounce bottle), using a dose of about 3 ounces along with the same of TC-W3, at each fill up.

A steady dose to each tank full IMO...is the way to go rather than shocking the fuel system.

This has been a great topic....and I hope that one day we do find out the actual PEA contents of each product.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back