Amsoil Coolant instead of Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used Amsoil Coolant instead of Dexcool? If so your experience or opinion on the switch would be helpful! I thinking of doing the switch!

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Has anyone used Amsoil Coolant instead of Dexcool? If so your experience or opinion on the switch would be helpful! I thinking of doing the switch!
You would probably get more responses in the the coolant forum.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Has anyone used Amsoil Coolant instead of Dexcool? If so your experience

Did the switch 1 yr and 20k miles ago on 08 GMC Acadia w/3.6L gasoline engine w/82k miles. A yr ago w/the original DexCool still in it, the water pump started leaking(common problem). We had it fixed at the dealer under warranty. Afterwards I did the switch.
Works great so far. I run all Amsoil products in everything.

Last edited:
While Amsoil makes great products I wouldn't bother. Buy some Peak Global (gold bottle) and use that. It meets the certs for Dex and is cheaper/easier to find. I have been running it in both my GMs for 3 years now and have no complaint. Even my Equinox ( complete with 3.4 dexsluging action) is still clean and beautiful after a complete flush.

I have never had to do that because my car is old enough where I could put Toyota brand coolant in my 92 Bonneville. My dad has an 04 Silverado and 06 Sierra, and everytime he does a coolant flush he has to make sure he uses dex-cool. So if you have a modern car (96 or newer) remember to use the coolant the owners manual says to use.

Dexcool is a great coolant AS LONG AS you don't get air into the system and follow the recommendations for replacement as well as testing the coolant. At 340k miles my duramax engine looked flawless when I tore it apart for a rebuild and the coolant was changed per the owners manual with dexcool since brand new.

Originally Posted by Bdsankey
Dexcool is a great coolant AS LONG AS you don't get air into the system and follow the recommendations for replacement as well as testing the coolant. At 340k miles my duramax engine looked flawless when I tore it apart for a rebuild and the coolant was changed per the owners manual with dexcool since brand new.

I never understood the air getting in the system thing. By definition, a cooling system should be "air free"/ pressurized right?

Does this mean it's better for vehicles with no radiator caps and only fillable through the reservoir?

The Dex thing has been greatly influenced by excessive Internet speculation.

Whether or not you have a pressurized coolant tank is irrelevant. We run both Silverados (pressurized) and Savana/Express vans (unpressurized) and have no issues with either.

Factory fill is never touched here until a component fails, usually a minimum of 150k miles or far more.

Dex is not the problem folks are looking for anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back