Allstate Drive Wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know about this? I had them send me one out to see if I can get some discounts on my next renewal. It apparently plugs into the OBD 2 port and logs any speed over 80 mph, hard acceleration, hard braking, distance traveled, and time of day car is driven.

It stays in the car the entire time you're an allstate customer and is voluntary. Also they won't increase rates as a punishment. There is a $10 per 6 month fee but they're giving me 10% off for trying it and I can get a discount as high as 30% on my next renewal.

I just wanted to get your thoughts. . .

How exactly does this work?

Do they actually track you with the device installed?

Or do you give it back to them and they download info off the device?

My guess is that the device has a small amount of memory -- you would need to take it somewhere for downloading. There are Bluetooth OBD2 dongles that look like this, but obviously the insurance company needs a way to retrieve the data.

No freaking way would I do this. I'll pay extra for the pleasure of being able to goose it on an on-ramp.

Last edited:
big brother in the insurance companies...
im sure they are doing this for the customer and not to raise your rates its like when your doorbell rings and its the irs and they say they are here to help you.. HaHa

Some of us are old folks who drive 4 cyl family sedans, don't speed, don't accelerate fast, don't brake hard, etc. For us, a device that proves that we are safe drivers and saves us on our premiums seems like a good deal.

OTOH, for you young turks that like to drive like you're in the Daytona 500, these don't make much sense.

Of course, at some point in the not too distant future there will be two types of car insurance companies. Those that require these devices and those that don't. The premiums for those that don't will be much higher because they'll have the high risk drivers.

Would be hilarious to put one of those in a car and take it to a HPDE.

That being said I have read these things can cause havoc with some cars engine management. There have been reports from Ford dealers of random misfires that magically disappear when these are removed.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Of course, at some point in the not too distant future there will be two types of car insurance companies. Those that require these devices and those that don't. The premiums for those that don't will be much higher because they'll have the high risk drivers.

You'll be very suprised to know just how close we are to that.

And how soon it will be standard on new cars....people are going to pay a price for all that tech and won't even know it!

Plug it into your grandma's car, problem solved.

Unless you later find out grandma's moonlighting as a wheelman.

It wirelessly sends the data to the insurance company using telmatics whatever that is, same way onstar works I think.

Also no they can't track your location with it. That is why you are safe to drive up to 80 MPH because they don't know where you are, they don't know the speed limit for the road you are on.

Since they won't raise my rates and the worst that can happen is I just don't get a discount next renewal period, and I get 10% off this current period and possibly up to 30% next, I figured I'd give it a try.

Some of us are old folks who drive 4 cyl family sedans, don't speed, don't accelerate fast, don't brake hard, etc. For us, a device that proves that we are safe drivers and saves us on our premiums seems like a good deal.

OTOH, for you young turks that like to drive like you're in the Daytona 500, these don't make much sense.

Well I am only 31 and while I sometimes drive like I'm in the Daytona 500. I try not to, most of the time. This will just help me keep my foot under control and also I just had twin daughters 3 months ago and that also changed my driving habits a bit.

Could send SMS messages through the cell network. Get a bulk pricing deal. Just has to send something ~once a week with its serial number and computated risk factor, a few bytes of data.

This is the tip of a very large iceberg; they will probably decide in a couple years the kind of jerk who doesn't promptly fix a nuisance EVAP leak code is the kind of jerk who deserves to pay a higher premium. And they'll have a super premium savings plan for those who take 40 seconds to reach 60 mph.

I have a ScanGauge II in my 08 Mitsubishi Outlander and it can record and store max speed, RPMs, time and distance driven etc, but I'm curious how would you detect hard braking from the OBD 2 port. The only thing I can think of is some type of formula that measures how quickly your speed decreases and assumes hard braking if it decreases too quickly.

Originally Posted By: azjake
but I'm curious how would you detect hard braking from the OBD 2 port. The only thing I can think of is some type of formula that measures how quickly your speed decreases and assumes hard braking if it decreases too quickly.

That is exactly how it is done. If they really wanted to nerd it up they could get data from ABS, stability control, etc to find out if you're clowning around on slippery roads.

Bet on this first generation it's as you describe, as ordinary speed sensor data is in the generic data parameter.

They could add GPS too, very easily, in the 2nd generation. Bet engineers are on the case, and Marketing is trying to decide if it'll fly.

Thanks, but no thanks. All it takes is one emergency situation that calls for rapid braking or avoidance maneuver and you are toast, without fault of your own.

While they say they won't increase your rates during your current contract period, what is stopping them from increasing the rate upon renewal, or dropping you all together from the policy? NOTHING!!! In fact they have legitimate proof for doing so.

Maybe the Guv'ment and the large corporations don't have enough information about who you are, where you are, what you buy, what you earn, who you talk to, what you think (or, what they think you think)...

Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier for you to give up any/all privacy so you can get a cheaper rate on your auto insurance?

I've been with Allstate for over 40 years: the day they want me to put a tattletale in my car in order to get a better rate is the day I drop them!

After 40 years I deserve the BE$T rate$!!!

I know of at least one enterprising individual who has developed a buffer for the OBD II port so that the electronic tattletale never sees anything but extremely sedate driving.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Oh, I forgot...

Baa, baa, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

For all you sheep out there.

What an incredibly well thought out, intelligent comment.

/sarcasm

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Thanks, but no thanks. All it takes is one emergency situation that calls for rapid braking or avoidance maneuver and you are toast, without fault of your own.

While they say they won't increase your rates during your current contract period, what is stopping them from increasing the rate upon renewal, or dropping you all together from the policy? NOTHING!!! In fact they have legitimate proof for doing so.

I'm pretty sure they would look at one instance and forgive that due to someone cutting you off etc. However, if you have 30 or 40 per week, then maybe you're following too closely or whatever.

General consensus on here seems to worry about them spying on you and one person seemed to think it wasn't a bad idea. I'm still on the fence but I'll give it a try. I feel like this is back when cell phones first starting getting GPS and everyone was refusing to get one so the government couldn't track them. I think the same argument came around when debit cards started popping up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back