Transmission, maybe torque converter whine, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I hope this is the right place to post this. 2002 BMW X5 3.0, GM transmission. November 2001 build. 145,956 original trans. 5 speed automatic.

I changed the fluid at 90K Mobil1, 120K Mobil1 and 144,750K Valvoline Dex6 the recommended fluid. I do a drain, pan drop, and new filter. I repeat the drain and fill 4 times. Each time I fill, I start the car up and gently take the car through the gears as it is up on jack stands and the wheels can spin freely. I let the trans run at idle for 20 minutes after each fill to circulate old and new fluid. I use about 15 qts of fresh fluid to repeat this process.

The last fill: I fill the pan until it runs out the check plug, I start the car, run the car in the gears for a few minutes to let it get to about 130 degrees F, after it reaches operating temp, I put the trans in neutral and leave it running. I open the check plug pump in fluid until it begins to run out. It usually takes an additional 1 qt 26 oz. The pan holds 3.5 qts + 1 qt 26 oz= 5 qts 12 oz

Okay, after the last change 250 miles ago, when cold and while up-shifting I hear a low volume, high pitched whine from the trans area. after a few miles it stops as the trans warms up. Once the trans is warmed up there is no whine, even after cool down and restart a few hours later.

The transmission performs absolutely perfect when cold or hot, like a new tranny. It always feels smoother and shifts more assuredly after a fresh fill.

What could this be? A search on Google yielded some discussion of possible torque converter whine. Is this going to wreck my trans. I am keeping the car until at least 300,000 miles. The whole car looks and performs brand new(of course it has had many repairs along the way, but none to the trans).

Last edited:
Quote:
do a drain, pan drop, and new filter

Seeing as this happened right after you did this procedure its time to drop the pan and see if the filters o-ring or filter seal is damaged, it could be sucking a little air along with the fluid.
It could even be a bad filter (bad crimp) on the side or a leak at the pipe.

Really, That would be a relief. I'll take it down this weekend and check it. I guess I should have a new OEM BMW filter ready.

I was really careful to firmly seat the 2 O rings in the intake. It's easy to think that it's in after the first one sets, a firmer push gets the second one to seat.

It could be a bad one.

Keep the comments coming.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its not over filled is it? That can cause whine also.
Put 2x bottles of lubeguard red in this unit, it will help.

+1. LG Red can make a big difference too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Its not over filled is it? That can cause whine also.
Put 2x bottles of lubeguard red in this unit, it will help.

+1. LG Red can make a big difference too.

Well, I wonder. in the past I've only ever put 1 1/2 qts in the trans when it is running this time it took 1 3/4 qts or 8 ozs more than before. I'm going to double check the level. The car was up on jack stands it was level, I'm 99% positive, I'm going to check it just sitting on the garage floor.

Update: This morning after I posted this I went out and drove the car it was 50 degree F ambient temp. That is the warmest it has been since I filled it a few days ago. NO WHINE AT ALL.
confused.gif
I'll check the fluid level first. If it's overfilled I'll wait to replace the filter.

I'll check into the LG RED.

Thanks for all the comments and help

Last edited:
I picked up 2 bottle of LG Red. it says to add 1 oz per qt. there are 9.5 qts in that trans. The suggestion was for 2 bottles , that is 2 ozs per qt? Is that going to cause a problem.

No not at all, i use 1.5-2 oz per qt in everything.
I spoke to Lubeguard about using their heavy duty transmission ratio recommendation in other units and they said no problem.
I does cost more though.
I checked the transmission temp with a scan tool and 1.5-2oz further reduced the temp.
Quote:
For heavy-duty transmissions, such as Allison, add up
to 8oz. to every gallon (4-quarts).

Okay this morning I re-checked the fluid level. I don't know how I did this, but after getting the trans to operating temperature, I open the fill plug and 20 ozs pored out.So it was overfilled by a lot and might be the cause of the whineing noise. The only thing I can figure is that I had the rear jacked up to high and it threw off the levelness of the car. Today I was careful to raise the car 6" both front and rear parked on my level garage floor. And 20 ozs of trans fluid drained out.

I then shut the car off and put in park. drained out and additional 1 qt from the trans to make room for the lube gaurd red. I then took an empty oil bottle poured in the LG-R (both bottles 20 ozs) then top off bottle with trans fluid I drained from the tranny. I pumped that mixture in and put the fill plug back in.

It's Good to go for the next 30,000 and on my way to 300,000 miles... I hope
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Don't you want to go back to Mobil 1?

Probably on the next change I'll go back to M1. over at the BMW board all the OEM purists were screaming that a multi spec like M1 is not the same as the speced fluid of DEX3. Dex6 is back speced. I don't think the M1 fluid was causing a problem, that is some really good fluid for this transmission.

After putting the LG-Red 2 bottles and lowering the level. The whine went away, so far anyway. Also, the LG-R seems to really make the transmission act like new. shifts up and down are smooth and crisp.

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Don't you want to go back to Mobil 1?

Probably on the next change I'll go back to M1. over at the BMW board all the OEM purists were screaming that a multi spec like M1 is not the same as the speced fluid of DEX3. Dex6 is back speced. I don't think the M1 fluid was causing a problem, that is some really good fluid for this transmission.

After putting the LG-Red 2 bottles and lowering the level. The whine went away, so far anyway. Also, the LG-R seems to really make the transmission act like new. shifts up and down are smooth and crisp.

Update: That was Sunday.

On Monday morning the Whine was back
frown.gif
I began to think I've just got a trans that is on it's way to failing. I had to drive about 100 miles Hiway on Tuesday. The whine was present for the first 30 miles... then it went silent while I was singing along at 80 mph. I didn't think much of it.
This morning Wednesday... no noise at start out... no noise under a load like going up a steep hill... no noise at all, drove about 80 miles.

The label on the lubra gaurd Red. said full results in 200 miles of use... I have my fingers crossed. I'll let you know if it comes back.

I spoke to Lubeguard about using their heavy duty transmission ratio recommendation in other units and they said no problem.
I does cost more though.
I checked the transmission temp with a scan tool and 1.5-2oz further reduced the temp.
Quote:

So I could/should use Lubeguard Platinum for an Aisin Tranny with T-IV? Or is this something different than your recommending above?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I does cost more though.
Quote:

So I could/should use Lubeguard Platinum for an Aisin Tranny with T-IV? Or is this something different than your recommending above?

Go ahead and use it , 2 ozs per qt. I don;t thing it can hurt and it sure cured my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back