Can i use Multi-purpose ATF instead of Dextron III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I work we have a fleet of trucks and we service them using a 55 gal drum of multi-purpose ATF..... I have a 2004 silverado 2500hd and it requires dextron III..... My boss said I can use whatever I need. I just want to make sure it's ok first.... Thanks!!!

multi-purpose ATF usually lists Dex II/III as one of its specifications.

If the AT can use dex VI, Id get and run that. Id assume it can, but it is always smart to check first!

Dexron III isn't licensed anymore, so most "multipurpose automatic transmission fluid" and "automatic transmission fluid" is a Dex3/Mercon fluid.

As long as it is Multi Purpose and not Multi Vehicle, you're good to go.

Multi-vehicle fluids are fine! Typical internet FUD!

My 04 2500hd(below) has had a multi-vehicle(M1 atf for 225k,Maxlife since) fluid in it since 5k miles. This truck sees hard service-hauling & towing-and the tranny(4l80e)shifts like new.
My 7500(Allison 2000) also has only had M1 in it since 5k miles. And is in excellent shape. This is a very hard application. Always at or near max gvw. And the fluid looks new when we service it every 25k.

Last edited:
Every "Multi Vehicle" Fluid I have ever seen states it is suitable in Dexron III approved transmissions.

That in mind, Dexron VI is designed to be a better replacement for Dexron III.

Quote:
Dexron III isn't licensed anymore
...well, actually it is, under the name Allison TES-389 spec. If the ATF says that it is licensed for TES-389, then it is real Dexron-III(H). Mobil D/M ATF is one example. I'm not aware of any multi-vehicle ATFs with the TES-389 approval, but there might be some.

As said above, any multi-vehicle ATF that is "recommended" for a Dexron-III application will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back