Driving gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here wear driving gloves? I had my eye on some nice J. Press ones or perhaps even the Wheelskins. There are of course tons of them out there.

I guess I'm wondering why you would wear leather gloves if you have a leather steering wheel. Sweaty palms or something? Do driving gloves make you look like a tool? I feel like only people who drive old MGs and Alfas can get away with them. ;-)

I wore driving gloves in winter in AK. Even leather steering wheel is cold when it is 20 outside, not to mention 20 below.
Never bought dedicated driving gloves. Just some good work gloves (Snap-On and Stanley). After wearing them for a year or two, I would assign them to the garage duty.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I guess I'm wondering why you would wear leather gloves if you have a leather steering wheel. Sweaty palms or something? Do driving gloves make you look like a tool? I feel like only people who drive old MGs and Alfas can get away with them. ;-)

If you have sweaty palms driving gloves will protect your leather wrapped steering wheel but in a modern car you WILL look like a tool wearing them other than at a track event, And never ever wear brightly coloured Nomex driving gloves on the street unless you want to be branded for life as a "TOOL".

Gloves I like for street use are the string backed equestrian riding gloves that are relatively cheap and are identical to the driving gloves that Fangio and others wore back in the 50's. You can get them at any horsey set supply store and I happen to have one near me.

I prefer deerskin work gloves, unlined. Good feel, good grip, available anywhere.

The only time I've thought about driving gloves is on the track, or autocross, on a hot day, just to avoid sweaty hands. But I've never bothered to get any.
I think in the old days with no power steering and syncho-less gear boxes, gloves made alot more sense, as I'm sure you did get sore hands wringing out your '38 morgan on the rough and tumble B-roads for an afternoon...
a_1938_Morgan_4-4.jpg

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If you have sweaty palms driving gloves will protect your leather wrapped steering wheel but in a modern car you WILL look like a tool wearing them other than at a track event, And never ever wear brightly coloured Nomex driving gloves on the street unless you want to be branded for life as a "TOOL".

I've worn suede-palmed, but BLACK ONLY material backed actual racing gloves (but most of them were; SHORT gauntlet, non-Nomex, non-FIA/SFI "karting" gloves), on the street, IN THE SUMMER, until my kids told be it was dorky/"TOOL" like, and refused to drive with me, so I stopped. (But still do wear them in the winter, at least then I have the cold as an 'excuse'!
lol.gif
)

The only reason I've done this is because I have Sparco suede covered steering wheels, which I was trying to keep from getting matted-down, and did this to save the 'nap' of the suede.
The summer sweat and oils from my hands DO kill these wheels, but it would cost 5x + more to recover them, then to just replace them, so that's what I do now, ~ every two years or so.
frown.gif

What do the 'high-zoot' Teutonic super coupe/sedan drivers (AMG Black Series/Bimmer Ms/P-car GT2/3s, etc.), who have BIG BUCK factory suede covered wheels do, just keep shelling out $2K-$3K every time they matt theirs down???!!
shocked.gif

They use suede brushes to bring the nap back up. But they are not driving those cars 15k a year.

They use suede brushes to bring the nap back up. But they are not driving those cars 15k a year.

I took BOTH of those facts for granted (I also brush the suede at least twice a week, whether I use gloves or not).

BUT, eventually (if they keep these cars more than 3 years or so?) the suede has to matt down.
frown.gif

Yep. I'm sure that upholstery shops love that. Then again, there are companies using that on the seats and people just sort of accept it there. *shrug*

I was looking to re-cover my Recaro Speed seat in alcantara, and the local car upholstery shop told be it was actually $25.00 MORE per square yard than REAL, high quality suede!!
crazy2.gif

I have some nice soft leather insulated gloves for winter, and I use my black Fox mountain biking gloves in spring and fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back