Purolator Classic vs. AFE Pro Dry S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appologize if this one gets a bit long winded. Had an issue yesterday, I had changed oil in my 2011 Scion XB a few days ago and finally got around to checking the air filter. It was still the factory Denso piece that came in the car. Anyways, I took it out just to see how it looked, looked like it had lots of life left in it yet, but it looked like dirt was starting to leak in past the left rear corner of it, back where the top of my air cleaner box is kinda hinged to the bottom half and there are no latches. I've seen the quality of the napa gold filter for my car and was not impressed with it, it has plastic around the outer edge that is slightly pliable, but there is no sealing gasket of any kind around the outer edge and I'm afraid of it not sealing to the box ok. My only other options at my local parts stores were Fram, STP, and Purolator Classic. The Frams are now made by Champion Labs, just like the STP, and I dont like them at all. They are similar in construction to the purolator, using the same type of filter media, and then bond that to an outer plastic shell, but they have a foam gasket glued around the top edge of it to seal to the top half of my air cleaner. Everyone of them I looked at, the foam seal was glued fast along the outer edge of the air filter, until you got to one of the corners where it had about an 1/8" gap between the the outer edge of the seal and the outer edge of the filter. As I said, the purolator is basically the same, but it has a rubber seal around the outer edge. It seemed like the lesser of two evils, and since my factory filter seemed to be allowing dirt in and I didn't have a Toyota dealer near by, thats what I got. It fits ok, but sticks up above the bottom half of the air box that it makes it hard to slip the tabs of the top half into place in the back. So, having had experience with AFE drop in filter before (had one in my Jeep Wrangler), I think I wanna get a Pro Dry S replacement for mine. The poly urethane seal looks like it will seal nice, and the ridges/folds of the filter media don't stick up above the top of the seal, so getting the top of my filter box on should be easy as well. The part I like the most is the Pro Dry S filter states it has a filter efficiency of 99.2%, where as the Purolator is only 96.5%. However, this was my main reason for posting this, are they using the same test to come up with that number, or is AFE using a test that uses coarser dust particals? I'm not concerned about ultimate peformance, I just want what will filter the best. Thanks.

afe did not fit my car AT ALL whereas the fit on the purolator was perfect. not sure how great afe's quality control is, but the filter itself did look pretty stout.

I wouldn't be worried about the filter efficiency if dirt is getting past the filter. Catching 100% of the dirt at 90% efficiency is better than catching 85% of the dirt at 99% efficiency in my mind.

Get the one that fits the best. Since there are issues with all the other filters passing dirt around the edge of the seal, find one that fits the best. It'll filter out more dirt on balance than a more efficient filter that lets some dirt past a leaky seal.

Add efficiency, add restriction. K&N folks don't seem to have an issue with the less efficient less restrictive oiled filters. Guess you will find out if the car feels like its gasping for air.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
afe did not fit my car AT ALL whereas the fit on the purolator was perfect. not sure how great afe's quality control is, but the filter itself did look pretty stout.

JMSJAGS, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with AFE. I had a ProGuard 7 drop in filter for my 08 Jeep Wrangler and the fitment was great, fit nice and tight.

Maybe I was misunderstanding the efficiency ratings then. I took it to mean how well filtered the dirt out, how much it would catch vs. how much passed through it, but does it really mean how much dirt it catches versus how much air it flows?

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Purolator classic oil filters are decent for the price but their air filters leave a lot to be desired. Flimsy construction and materials. I tried them once and went back to AC-Delco.

The Delco, especially the #1208C was far better, only a few $ more and special ordered from Advance auto. Much better rubber and filter material.

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

I checked the AC Delco filter out online, looks just like the factory filter. Might have to check into getting one of those instead.

well, I ran to my local scion dealer on my lunch break today and got a factory replacement. Cost me $18 which I didn't think was to bad, about $3 more than what I paid for the purolator filter at Advance Auto and the fitment is much better. I'll see if the wife gets me the AFE filter for Valentines day
smile.gif
If not, I might just stick with the factory filters from now on.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Stick with factory since you bought one.
thumbsup2.gif

That was my plan from the day I bought the car, but then I found the factory one had dirt leaking past the left rear corner and became paranoid about buying another factory filter and having that one leak too. My OCD just kicking in I guess:)

Have you gotten a UOA on this guy yet? If you are past 15,000 miles in and have had at least 2 or 3 oil changes, I'd imagine silicon readings would have some useful meaning. Get past 20,000 and 4+ oil changes and start seeing how Si settles. If it's a issue you could always try an AFE Pro Dry S...I wish I could get their higher tier for my Civic.
frown.gif

Not sold on trying their Series 5 or Pro Dry S based on filtration 'concerns', their Pro Guard 7 interests me.

I decided after my last oiled filter (Pro Guard 7) I didn't want the hassle of reoiling and worrying about "is it to much oil...not enough?" I want something I can just wash. I might go ahead and do a UOA, I think my dad has one from Blackstone laying around yet that he got a couple years ago and never used.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I decided after my last oiled filter (Pro Guard 7) I didn't want the hassle of reoiling and worrying about "is it to much oil...not enough?" I want something I can just wash. I might go ahead and do a UOA, I think my dad has one from Blackstone laying around yet that he got a couple years ago and never used.

You can look at the AEM dry flow filter, no oil on that one either.
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/univcone.aspx

ROD

So, only the re-oiling aspect turned you off to the Pro Guard 7?

So, only the re-oiling aspect turned you off to the Pro Guard 7?

Yeah, other than the re-oiling aspect of it, I loved it, it filtered great and seamed built really well, fit the air box real tight. I can't say it helped any performance or fuel mileage wise, but for a washable, reusable filter, it worked great

I've had both Pro Dry and 7 layer filters from AFE. Love both, currently Pro Dry. I wish they made one for the CRV.

Love my aFe ProDry cone filter on my intake. I have used their intakes on numerous cars and have not found a better one under a grand. Granted, none of my intake is stock and even the heat shield has gold foil heat barrier wrapping it but even stock they are good. If the panel filters are half as good as the.cones, you cannot go wrong...

I have an AFE prodry-s drop-in replacement in the 2007 escape. That is the best built air filter I have ever seen. Fit is really good. I thought it was too rigid when I first got it but as it ages it becomes a bit more malleable but not the point it is falling apart. I would describe it like the breaking in of a baseball glove. The fit is fine at first but it gets better with age.

^Do you have any UOA with Si numbers?

I had one that showed 3ppm, after that, I had the valves adjusted- the mechanic used a liberal amount of silicon sealer. You can look into the oil filler hole and see the lump of sealer. The engine is a 1.5L Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back