Starburst Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some high mileage oils dont meet either the energy savings requirements or the current ISLAC specs. Probably due to the increased levels of ZDDP and perhaps due to the viscosities being thicker.

Agreed. One of my favorites, MaxLife, has the certification. A lot of the others, notably SOPUS products, don't, and I was surprised, in a good way. Perhaps it's a way for some cheap, extra ZDDP for the old truck instead of hunting for obscure grades of HDEO conventional.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Agreed. One of my favorites, MaxLife, has the certification. A lot of the others, notably SOPUS products, don't, and I was surprised, in a good way. Perhaps it's a way for some cheap, extra ZDDP for the old truck instead of hunting for obscure grades of HDEO conventional.

Maxlife does not have the API starburst on the front of the bottle. Neither do Pennzoil, Quakerstate, or Castrol high mileage oils. The only H.M. oils I know of with the API starburst are Mobil (conventional, not synthetic), and I believe Supertech.
49.gif

Pennzoil is ILSAC rated also.....just look at the ILSAC donut on the back. I'm not sure of the Castrol or other SOPUS products.....most likely they have the ILSAC donut. The Pennzoil states that it is not a "Resource or Energy Conserving Oil" in the ILSAC donut.

Same thing with some of the Euro Synthetic Oils....there is no API Starburst only the ILSAC Donut on the back....some with API-SL grades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Pennzoil is ILSAC rated also.....just look at the ILSAC donut on the back. I'm not sure of the Castrol or other SOPUS products.....most likely they have the ILSAC donut. The Pennzoil states that it is not a "Resource or Energy Conserving Oil" in the ILSAC donut.

Up here in Canada at least, Pennzoil HM (and QS HM) lacks the API donut as well, making no mention at all of API specifications. No API or ILSAC certifications appear. Of course, I'd have no hesitation in using them in an out of warranty vehicle that had a use for high mileage oil.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I think the best HM oil option has the outdated SL api cert AND the energy conserving ISLAC cert. Thats how you get more zddp and more friction modifiers. Supertech and Mobil 1 used to have it.

Agreed. I'd assume our Canadian non-certified QS HM and Pennzoil HM would have elevated ZDDP levels. From what I've spotted on VOAs (at least one of the VOAs was dead wrong), perhaps not as much as I'd like, but who really knows. At least when it's on special, it actually comes down to a reasonable level up here.

I definitely like when we had the MaxLife available in SL up here.

Just returned from Wal-Mart and noticed that the 5W30 Mobil Super High Mileage oil has the Starburst Certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back