Mazdaspeed3 under warranty and Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone confirm that T6 is ok to use per Mazda? will it void the warranty? it doesn't carry the "approved for gasoline engines" seal that the manual says to look for, although it does have the SM rating that the manual also says to look for.

You just answered your own question. If your manual says to use API-SM oil, then this oil fits the bill, so long as Mazda allows for 5W-40. Regardless, it is my opinion that Mazda would have a hard fight to deny an engine warranty based on using this oil, even if it weren't SM-rated.

Do they require any other specs beyond API SM? If not, then you should be good to go, as T6 meets the API SM spec for gasoline engines.

"Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil" in big bold letters in the manual. since im going to be doing all the maint myself and keeping receipts and records for any warranty issues, i think im just going to use a 5W-30 for now just to be on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Not the best choice IMO. 5w30 is the prefered viscosity. A 40wt is not even mentioned as an option in my manual.

Rotella T6 has been discussed as the best oil for this engine 2.3L DISI Turbo-through OUA's

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Do they require any other specs beyond API SM? If not, then you should be good to go, as T6 meets the API SM spec for gasoline engines.

copy n paste from manual

""Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline
Engines” by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). An oil with this trademark
symbol conforms to the current engine
and emission system protection standards
and fuel economy requirements of the
International Lubricant Standardization
and Approval Committee (ILSAC),
comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.""
T6 doesnt have ILSAC designation on the bottle

Last edited:
A lot of MS3 owners here and on the fanboy sites report good luck with PP 5W-30. Both PP and M1 are "HTO-06" approved which gives me a little extra warm fuzzy. I'm on my first fill of PP after 18,000 miles of conventional OCI'd at 3-4,000 miles. I started another thread last week expressing my concern over the appearance and smell of this first fill of PP at 3000 miles. I'll get it out and tested NLT 4000.

This engine does have a history of being hard on oil, so you should watch it closely, especially if you do a lot of short trips. Hard to imagine any extended runs beyond 5000.

Last edited:
M1 5-30 will be ideal for your engine as it carries the Honda turbo high temp low deposite HTO-06 rating.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

This engine does have a history of being hard on oil, so you should watch it closely, especially if you do a lot of short trips. Hard to imagine any extended runs beyond 5000.

I switched from a 5K OCI to a 7.7K OCI at 70K miles. Based on my engine and the UOAs I've had performed M1 5W-30 works fine for me. Fuel dilution is nil and the TBN remains above 2.0. If anything, wear metals are averaging better -on a per mile basis- under the extended runs.

I'd go with PP 5w-30 while you're under warranty IMHO. Then go to Rotella the day that warranty runs out.

Just make sure to hold onto the receipts, and write the date/mileage when you do it-warranties can be made of gold if you actually need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back