best pickup of the 90s overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I'd like to have a detailed conversation regarding overall best truck. I plan on buying a truck from mid 80s to mid 90s. By best I mean overall most reliable. The truck I buy will probably never see it's limits so I want am in depth talk of why you think this truck is the best. I do want a full-size truck. It has to be able to be worked on by me if need be and I prefer v8 but will listen to other options. I really want to talk nuts and bolts of why you think "x" truck is the best. I had everything worked put to buy my buddies truck but now am going to pass since the tranny has some quirks. Anything you got or want to say about trucks please don't be shy. I have around 2000 to spend that wont buy me a perfect truck but it will get a reliable truck. Thanks for everything I know I posted a lot about trucks but I really want to have an in depth conversation regarding the best thanks

An F-150 with a 302 or 300 I6 and the 5spd has got to be one of the most basic, most reliable setups going.

2000 dollars for a truck??? The only thing that will buy you is a huge headache, save for a newer one.

Overkill I already knew what you were going to say hahaha. Good thing is your smart and I can't take your opinion and know your advice is good. Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Fords the hardest to work on though? There fuel injection looks kinda intimidating. Is it just me ?

I don't want a new truck to much plastic . I want an older truck that if it gets a scratch I don't have to worry about it.

well, My SOLE experience w/ a Full Size truck, was a 1989 Chevy 1500.
Dad bought it From one of his Employees,(approx 1994/95 For $5 Grand) who was the original owner.
This Truck had been his baby. Custom Ordered it new,kept detailed records of everything did to it, even keeping a gas log,only sold it b/c of a divorce.

Even with 160,000mi, it looked & Drove like new. Had a 350, I don't know which automatic it had, a single 34 gallon tank, power windows/locks/ cassette deck. She was sharp(original Owner named her Brandy - it was painted "Brandywine" (maroon)with a Big "Quicksilver" Stipe down the sides). After we had it for a few years, my sister needed a vehicle, so dad gave it to her, then after she got married, & bought a car, it went to her husband. It Finally died on him( I think the tranny finally went out), in 2005, with ANOTHER 175,000 miles(close to 300k total), but by that time, the orange cancer had eaten up the wheel wells, and bottom back corners of the cab pretty well...

MY DAD worked at a chevy dealership in the maintence department in the late 80's and early 90's he always said chevy had the best motor/drivetrain and fords had the best bodies.. dad never thought much of dodges. i think the dodges of the mid-late 90's with the 360's in them were pretty solid, you just had to be carefull wich transmission was in it. Ive personally had good luck with chevy's with 350's

I don't think one is much better than other. As far as the 90's the were all pretty decent and they all had the quirks. to say one is better than the other is being a bit bias. They are all getting old. I would think your main concern should be how it was taken care of and the overall condtion of the truck.

Mid 80's to Mid 90's. During that time frame your choices are a dodge truck that was designed in the early 70's. I do not see very many dodges on the road from this period. I will be honest I do not know nor have any first hand experience with dodges from this time.

Ford trucks from this period are very basic compared to today. This is also true from GM trucks around this time also.

So take your pick from either of the two from Ford or GM. It would come down to your personal preference. Much like it is today.

I honestly see more late 80's early 90's Chevy's around my area than i do fords. Despite how half of them look bent in the middle or crooked and how i usually spot them by the trail of blue in the air behind them, they seem to keep running somehow.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Overkill I already knew what you were going to say hahaha. Good thing is your smart and I can't take your opinion and know your advice is good. Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Fords the hardest to work on though? There fuel injection looks kinda intimidating. Is it just me ?

Naw, I find 'em easy. They have a lot of vacuum lines, but the electronics are reliable and pretty simple.

The multi-port (not sequential) injection on them is basic but I agree that it looks more complicated than the GM TBI. But it is generally bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I would get a Ford. One nice thing about a Ford is they won't let you down like some of those other makes...

I would get a Chevy. One nice thing about a Chevy is they won't let you down like some of those other makes... LOL

Yea I think what looks intimidating is the big ol intake and all the hoses and things. I'm not sure I'd want a 302 maybe. I know they're great engines but they aren't good at pulling a 300 on the other hand will pull anything just not fast
smile.gif

Good 90s trucks to buy would be,

F-150 4.9L 2WD 5SPD(My Personal Favorite)

S-10: Good up to 1993. 1994 and up only buy the 4 cyclinder model.

Ranger: take your pick they are all good

Chevrolet C/K: They nag you more the the fords but are more refined. Fuel Pumps and Intake Gaskets(Dexcool Models) a common problems with these trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Yea I think what looks intimidating is the big ol intake and all the hoses and things. I'm not sure I'd want a 302 maybe. I know they're great engines but they aren't good at pulling a 300 on the other hand will pull anything just not fast
smile.gif

302's make power a little higher, yeah. The 300 is a VERY good engine. And with a 5spd actually moves along quite well. A 302 will pull better than you think it will though
wink.gif

When I was younger I had a Ford with the 302 and aod And it was wore out. I once pulled a Chevy silverado club cab just on the road and up hills it was on the floor . But it was pretty abused to.

I would worry much less about the brand and more about the condition. For $2K and 20 years old, condition is everything. Some people take care, some don't. Some do service, some don't. Also, get it up on a lift before you buy. You can tell a lot by looking underneath.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back