Idemitsu supplied oil to Honda/Acura Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many know Petro-Canada supplies a lot of the oil to Honda/Acura Canada including the bulk oil that their dealers use and some bottled oils.

But Idemitsu is the supplier of the stuff that meets some of Honda's specific requirements that PC's oils don't.
Two notable examples are the 0W-20 and 5W-30 synthetic oils supplied in bottles.
The 0W-20 is known for it's 200 VI and very high moly level. They've recently raised the price to $7.87/L or $80.27/12L case; still a good value.

Less is known of their 5W-30 oil. It of course meets the Honda HTO-06 high temp' requirement but there must be something elso special about it for it to be preferred over PC's own 5W-30 which also meets the Honda HTH-06 spec'. One thing about this oil is that it is expensive at $9.98/L or $101.80/12L case.
Still at $8.48/L when bought buy the case it's cheaper than many premium synthetic oils like M1 in Canada.
I suspect this oil may be an over looked gem.
Those that use a 5W-30 may want to try this oil to see what it's all about. A VOA or UOA may reveal part of what Honda values in this lub'.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
But Idemitsu is the supplier of the stuff that meets some of Honda's specific requirements that PC's oils don't.

Less is known of their 5W-30 oil. It of course meets the Honda HTO-06 high temp' requirement but there must be something elso special about it for it to be preferred over PC's own 5W-30 which also meets the Honda HTH-06 spec'.

Given that the PC 5W30 is one of the few oils to officially possess the HTO-06 is hard to imagine what Honda thinks is lacking in the PC formulation.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Less is known of their 5W-30 oil. It of course meets the Honda HTO-06 high temp' requirement but there must be something elso special about it for it to be preferred over PC's own 5W-30 which also meets the Honda HTH-06 spec'.

Given that the PC 5W30 is one of the few oils to officially possess the HTO-06 is hard to imagine what Honda thinks is lacking in the PC formulation.

We didn't know what was different about the Idemitsu made 0W-20 until we had a VOA done and then it became obvious.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

We didn't know what was different about the Idemitsu made 0W-20 until we had a VOA done and then it became obvious.

If you think a VOA would tell the tale then we would actually require two 'new' ones for as far as I can recall there has been no VOA for the PC 5W30 (dexos1/SN formualtion)....(UOA yes but no VOA).

Last edited:
I keep hearing this oil is discontinued... Does that mean Honda dealers no longer carry it, but you can order online? If some dealers in US still have it, will they be able to tell you when you call? What's the problem with the new Honda brand 0w20 found at dealers in US?

Honda USA have switched to Conoco Phillips as their oil supplier. There's nothing wrong with the CoP oil per se it's just that the Idemitsu made oil is better. Some dealers may still have some of the old oil in stock but if you can't get it you can always go with the Mazda or Subaru 0W-20 which is also made by Idemitsu. And try to get the GF-4 SM oil. I haven't actually seen the GF-5 SN version yet but it's rumoured to have much less moly.
The other option is the Toyota 0W-20.

I have received the MSDS for the Acura synthetic 5W-30 from Idemitsu Plant in Jeffersonville, Illinois.
Some of the viscosity spec's are:
KV40 62.88cSt
KV100 11.28cSt
VI 175
This is a fairly high VI for a 5W-30 oil, higher than any other light 5W-30 available in NA AFAIK.

I'm currently running Subaru Idemitsu 5W-30 in my wife's 2010 Outback. If there are request I will submit for an UOA once time comes.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Is that even rhetorical? Yes!!

lol.gif

In what ways is it better??
confused.gif
Not having seen the SN version we can as always assume!!
Honda USA have switched to Conoco Phillips as their oil supplier. There's nothing wrong with the CoP oil per se it's just that the Idemitsu made oil is better. Some dealers may still have some of the old oil in stock but if you can't get it you can always go with the Mazda or Subaru 0W-20 which is also made by Idemitsu. And try to get the GF-4 SM oil. I haven't actually seen the GF-5 SN version yet but it's rumoured to have much less moly.
The other option is the Toyota 0W-20.

Have we ever considered that this is just a money/marketing move?

PC oil meets the spec just fine; but they weren't willing to cut the same marketing deal Indemitsu was?

Originally Posted By: i812
I'm currently running Subaru Idemitsu 5W-30 in my wife's 2010 Outback. If there are request I will submit for an UOA once time comes.

All joking aside that would be great. And if you're going to use Blackstone they only charge 10 bucks to include a KV40 test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back