Does mileage or time affect life of filter more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming all things being equal and that the engine is relatively clean will mileage or time deteriorate the filter faster?
I ask because I am finding so few oil and filter deals without MIR's or a filter that is designed for a long OCI like Bosch Distance Plus and Mobil EP. I am almost for sure going to get the oil at Wal-mart and get a P1 filter. Let's assume that I have 3 vehicles and I plan to do a yearly OCI. Vehicle 1 goes 5,000 miles a year, vehicle 2 goes 10,000 miles, and vehicle 3 goes 15,000 miles. The time is the same for the filters but the mileage varies. Will filter "wear" be similar? Can the P1 filter handle all three OCI's?

i would think whichever engine was "dirtier" would clog the filter faster. i don't know if mileage OR time matter all that much. a brand new car would be able to go a lot further on an oil filter than a car with 100,000 miles and questionable maintenance. the oil would wash more gunk into the filter in the higher mileage car.

time only comes into play if the oil filter starts deteriorating, which would most likely take years. but if you're worried about that you can always buy a wire mesh backed filter to help prolong that.

If the driving pattern is the same, then mileage.

But if you have low mileage because of lots of short trips, then time may trump mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa
I am almost for sure going to get the oil at Wal-mart and get a P1 filter. Let's assume that I have 3 vehicles and I plan to do a yearly OCI. Vehicle 1 goes 5,000 miles a year, vehicle 2 goes 10,000 miles, and vehicle 3 goes 15,000 miles. The time is the same for the filters but the mileage varies. Will filter "wear" be similar? Can the P1 filter handle all three OCI's?

If all 3 engines were relatively new and clean inside, then I would:

a) Run some non-synthetic like Mobil Super 5000 & a Classic on the 5K mile car. Going full synthetic and P1 certainly wouldn't hurt if you don't mind spending more money.

b) Run full synthetic and the P1 or Fram Xtended Guard (or similar) on the 10K/yr car.

c) Run something like a Bosch D+ with full synthetic (Mobil 1 15K) on the 15K/yr car.

the XG's right behind you on the shelf at walmart. And it can go that distance easily with no worries. XG is a great filter.

As long as they are not susceptable to short trips (water/condensation/moisture in the oil basically) I see no problems with just sticking with the XG and a good synthetic for 10k....

Obviously, top off as necessary....

cheap filter with dino oil.
expensive filter with syn blend or synthetic

you got my point right? You don't want to run cheap filter with synthetic oil. because you are running about 8k oci.

I think today OEM oil filter can run 10k easy.

It seems that many of you are saying that both time and mileage play a role and that I should use higher quality filters with the higher miles. But let's suppose that I change my oil every 6 months. Vehicle 1 goes 5,000 miles, vehicle 2 goes 10,000 miles, and vehicle 3 goes 15,000 miles. Do you all still recommend different filters?

BTW, I have tried the Xtended Guard once but on really cold mornings I would get some noise. I never figured out if t was valve train noise or the oil filter. It would only last 5-10 seconds and occur when the temp was in the low teens or less. The sound has never returned. At tht point the vehicle had 4 1/2 quarts of Mobil 0W-30 and about 1 quart of MMO. I haven't gone back to any of the three and the noise hasn't reappeared. If anyone has an idea what it might have been I would appreciate one feedback.

Originally Posted By: Capa
It seems that many of you are saying that both time and mileage play a role and that I should use higher quality filters with the higher miles. But let's suppose that I change my oil every 6 months. Vehicle 1 goes 5,000 miles, vehicle 2 goes 10,000 miles, and vehicle 3 goes 15,000 miles. Do you all still recommend different filters?

Time does matter at some point, regardless of mileage. On very low use mileage cars (like
So if I follow you above, you're saying the mileage would still be Veh1=5K, Veh2=10K and Veh3=15K per year and oil changed every 6 months thereby cutting the OCI in half, or are these now the miles put on in 6 months?

If you changed oil at 1 year vs 6 months with 15K miles on the oil in both cases, then the mileage will be the determining factor IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back