Firestone Champion HR tires from Wal-Mart for $54.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spock1
In which way are the tires different?Materials or quality control?
Is every tire inspected as opposed to spot checks?What about the brands reputation?Is a Lincoln sold at Budget different from a Lincoln sold at the dealership?Are you telling me that I could buy the same branded tire at four different locations and have four different tires?

in that case they may be ok. All the walmarts I've been in usually 9 out of 10 tires are walmart only tires.

they dont carry bfg ko's (can special order them)

they carry douglas or uniroyal models that are only sold at walmart..

And from what I've seen if you do order in tires the prices are terrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I am sorry but I have NO clue what you are talking about? WalMart is not the only tire retailer to sell the Firestone Champion HR tires. If it was a WalMart only tire then ONLY WalMart would sell them. WalMart does carry a few specific models that are made for and sold only through them but the tire the OP asked about is not one of them.

As to comments that you get different tires at WalMart than elsewhere( i.e. same tire just different quality at WalMart )I can only say it is just untrue. A BFG AT KO is the same darn tire regardless if it is sold through Tirerack, Sears, WalMart, or where ever.

Firestone Champion HR:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/ChampionHR
http://www.experttire.com/catalog/product.action?id=74366
http://www.monro.com/search/brand/Firestone/Champion-HR
http://www.tiresplus.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/ChampionHR
http://www.tirewarehouse.net/search/brand/Firestone/Champion-HR

This was just a quick search as well. Clearly NOT a WalMart only tire.

I clicked your links
some are tire info and some dont work..
can you find me an actual sale link with a price.. thats not walmart.

edit: the monro link works. 3 of the others are tire info.. not a sale page.. and one is broken..

Last edited:
In So Cal at Firestone
Firestone Champion HR
Performance Performance All-Season
FIRESTONE CHAMPION HR BUY 3 GET THE 4TH FREE
was $100.99 ea.
Sale: $75.74 ea.#
was $403.96 for 4 tires
Sale: $302.97# for 4 tires
taxes and fees not included

Buy 3 Get 1 Free or Buy 1 get 1 50% off Coupon ends 1/31/2012

Firestone coupon

40,000 mileage warranty Performance Tires Size: 215/65R15 Load Index: 96 (1565 lbs) Speed Rating: 96H (130 mph) Sidewall: Black Letter/Black Wall

Seems like you are getting a good deal..

Is every tire inspected as opposed to spot checks?What about the brands reputation?Is a Lincoln sold at Budget different from a Lincoln sold at the dealership?Are you telling me that I could buy the same branded tire at four different locations and have four different tires?

Let's put it like this:

The tires go down the same assembly line. At the end of the assembly line there are inspection stations and machines that measure certain properties for each individual tire. It's at that point that the difference occurs.

So while the name of the sidewall may be the same in 2 different retail outlets, the quality level - meaning consistency from individual product to individual product - COULD be different.

What differences could there be? There are a lot of things about the appearance that could be different. There's the amount of balance weight needed. Stuff like that.

Thanks for your rational explanation.In other words,each tire is inspected and the better ones go to the Firestone dealers and the ones that are subperfect go to discounters like Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I am sorry but I have NO clue what you are talking about? WalMart is not the only tire retailer to sell the Firestone Champion HR tires. If it was a WalMart only tire then ONLY WalMart would sell them. WalMart does carry a few specific models that are made for and sold only through them but the tire the OP asked about is not one of them.

As to comments that you get different tires at WalMart than elsewhere( i.e. same tire just different quality at WalMart )I can only say it is just untrue. A BFG AT KO is the same darn tire regardless if it is sold through Tirerack, Sears, WalMart, or where ever.

Firestone Champion HR:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/ChampionHR
http://www.experttire.com/catalog/product.action?id=74366
http://www.monro.com/search/brand/Firestone/Champion-HR
http://www.tiresplus.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/ChampionHR
http://www.tirewarehouse.net/search/brand/Firestone/Champion-HR

This was just a quick search as well. Clearly NOT a WalMart only tire.

I clicked your links
some are tire info and some dont work..
can you find me an actual sale link with a price.. thats not walmart.

edit: the monro link works. 3 of the others are tire info.. not a sale page.. and one is broken..

You can't always give links to a page with a price. Many tire sites require a zip code to actually get the price as they will only do so if a local outlet has them in stock. I gave you links to sites that are current with the Champion HR tires being sold through them or at least mentioned. If you want to get a price enter your zip and look them up.

You seem to know so much about tires(
grin.gif
)that I would think you would know how to find a simple price online for them. Clearly if they were tires sold ONLY at WalMart as you claim these other places would not list them regardless of me giving a price or not. No tire retailer will list a tire they can not sell( or couldn't - discontinued models can linger a while ).

Here is a CURRENT Firestone coupon for their Service Centers. I did not look up the individual price but this clearly shows they are currently selling the tire model:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/popup.jsp?image=fcac_champhr

Expertire.com requires a zip code to get a price. No generic page with prices like Tirerack has. I looked them up and they are $106.99 for the size the OP mentioned. I don't know if this link will work or not but again just go to the site and look up 215/65R15 tires based on a zip code that is close enough to one of their strores to see the results( if that store has them ). The Champion HR's are sold through them however.

http://www.experttire.com/pricing/select...amp;method=size

There are no Tireplus stores near me anywhere( none within max 250 mile range ). I have no idea what zip codes to use to check a price. The point is the tires are listed on their site. They are not going to list tires they can not( could not in the past )sell.

No local Tirewarehouse with the Champion HR's in stock so I can't get a price online. Again, the tire comes up on their site though so they either ARE available or WERE available through that retailer.

Bottom line is the Champion HR is not a WalMart only tire as I and many others have told you. Believe us or not it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: Rand

in that case they may be ok. All the walmarts I've been in usually 9 out of 10 tires are walmart only tires.

they dont carry bfg ko's (can special order them)

they carry douglas or uniroyal models that are only sold at walmart..

And from what I've seen if you do order in tires the prices are terrible.

Sounds like the local WalMart TLE's near you are run different than the ones here? Local WalMart TLE's stock BFG AT's, they carry many name brand tires sold at other retailers in addition to the WalMart only cheap tire lines, and I have special ordered tires in a few times and the prices have been fine( hence me ordering them there ). The quality of the name brand tires is the same as it is anywhere as well. No 2nd rate tires just for WalMart.

Last edited:
Thanks for your rational explanation.In other words,each tire is inspected and the better ones go to the Firestone dealers and the ones that are subperfect go to discounters like Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't suggest being that specific. It's quite possible for there to be other variations. For example, it might be that a dealer chain in, say, New York has negotiated a better price compared to other dealers - in exchange for accepting tires that require more balance weight. This particular chain sells at discount and does a good job of handling such complaints. Because their price is SOOOO much better than anyone else's in their area, their customer base is less fussy about such things, they hardly have any problems - where other dealers - selling essentially the same product - have a more fussy clientele and just can't deal with this. Again, this is a hypothetical.

But be very careful here. I am NOT saying this is what happens in every single case. I am merely pointing out that not only CAN it happen, but that it does. How, when, where, etc. is just something I am not going to get into specifics on. What I DON'T want people to leave this conversation thinking is that if the name on the sidewall is the same, the tire at one dealer is the same as at another dealer.

Last edited:
As long as the tire meets the sidewall ratings it is the same darn tire regardless of where you buy it. If the tire didn't at least meet that sidewall rating the tire mfg's would get in serious trouble. Unless the tire you buy at WalMart has a different sidewall rating than the same tire from Sears, Tirerack, or whereever, it is the same thing. This nit picking about it may take an extra 1/2 ounce of weight to balance, or it may have an inconsequential tiny cosmetic blemish, and such is just a waste of time worrying about it. That can happen ANY place you buy tires.

When we buy a new car for example we know that it will vary from car to car( same make/model/year - just different cars )as far as how reliable it will be. Some cars will never have an issue and others will be a nightmare. Tires are no different. Heck, most any man made item you can think of will have quality variations in the normal course of things regardless of where you buy them.

The insinutation here however is that the tires at WalMart are inferior because they pay less for them. I have even seen people say they use a different compound to make them for WalMart or even construct them to a lesser ability and that is just bull hooey. Quality variation will be no different than it is from any retailer if you buy tires at WalMart. They all will have good and bad. If you want a specific tire make and model and it is sold at WalMart and other places, if it is cheaper at WalMart, get it there. It will be the same tire. If it wasn't then it would be fraud.

A tire is a tire is a tire, unless SPECIFICALLY noted as being a 2nd or having an imperfection, regardless of where you buy it. It will have to meet the minimum standards listed on the sidewall. You can't cut corners and have the tire meet those ratings. From there any defects or lesser quality is just a roll of the dice you take when buying any man made item.

CapriRacer and NHHEMI, I get what both of you are saying. When branded the same, they are essentially the same tire regaardless of outlet, however, as Capri says, there may be differences in quality. Let's say all tires rolling off the line meet some minimum threshold for being acceptable. The ones that are as close to perfectly balanced, no cosmetic flaws, etc, are supplied to full price channels. Those that don't meet this higher standard, but still meet the minimum threshold, may then be sold off to the big boxes at a corresponding discount.

We've also seen an opposite scenario, though. The Michelin Harmony (sold at independents) and the clones (Destiny, X Radial DT, WeatherWise II - all retailer specific). Same tire, but appearance wise, they differ in sidewall branding, and insignificant variations in tread pattern so that they appear to be completely different tires, and hence can be priced independently of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back