Renault 1.6 16V (K4M 690) - Castrol Edge Sport ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a Dacia Logan, the engine is Renault, 1.6 16V, K4M 690 code. It is really very "kind" with oil type. The oil only has to meet - ACEA A3 (can use A1 if not possible to find A3) or API standards if no ACEA mentioned. No other requirements like OEM approvals. Out of the factory it comes with a cheap 5W30 semi-synthetic (written on the package semi-synth, not even a group III labeled as synthetic). A decent group III is more than enough but i am not happy with it so i use (for 2 oil changes already) Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40. I am very pleased with the way it goes, engine sound, fuel consumption, cold start up and so on but i am wondering if there are better oils for this engine in this price range. I pay 14-15$ per liter, the other oils mentioned (in the next part of the post) cost similar, very few oils are more expensive like Millers Oil CFS or Motul 300V but you don't find them often.

Temperatures here oscilates between -20* Celsius (curently - winter) and +40* Celsius (summer time) so i find a 0W40 a good compromise. In my opinion, alternatives may be 0W30/5W30/5W40 if there is a oil that is really worth changing from 0W40.

So, compared with Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 how the following oils perform: - Mobil 1 New Life 0W40, Motul Ester E-Tech 0W40, Valvoline Syn Power 0W40. I can also find USA type OIL, imported in Europe, oil like - Mobil 1 0W40 European Car Formula, Mobil 1 5W30 Super Syn, Castrol Syntec 0W30/5W30. Unfortunately i can't find at all oil like Red Line, Royal Purple.
My driving style is moderate most of time with short to medium periods of harsh driving. Oil change interval is ~15000 km (~9500 miles) which i find ok since manufacutrer recommends 20 000 km, especially since i use a much better oil than they use in service. I use usually 95 octane fuel, sometimes 99-100. Here the gas i think has less sulphur than in US, maximum 10 mg/kg.

Thanks in advance, i am looking forward to your advices/answers.

Last edited:
If you can get the Mobil 1 0w40 Euro Formula cheaper that is a great oil. Honestly you can use a decent 0w-5w30 since you explained the engine isn't very hard on oil. It sounds like you have a very good grasp of the quality of the different lubes but are concerned about price (which I would be too if I was paying $15/ltr.) so just buy on the best price you can find for a quality 5w30 or 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back