I know Ford makes the best trucks, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spaz....that is not the point. The discussion was centered around comments made about GM's recent investment in Mexico. That investment was in an existing engine plant to build engines for Mexican consumption.

GM has been the number 1 retailer in Mexico for years.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Some of the Indiana built Silverados might make it across the Rio Grande, but I can't think of any Canadian made "Chevies" that make it to Mexico.

They get the Canadian Camaro in Mexico, as well as the Kentucky sourced Corvette. I wonder how many actually sell?

They do sell the Traverse that's made in Michigan.

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/content_data/LAAM/MX/es/GMMGM/showroom/chevrolet/vehiculos/index.html

But I didn't see the Camaro or Corvette on their website.
Just the Matiz, 3-door, Spark, and Tornado (which is the Chevrolet Montana in Brazil where it is made)

GM may well be the #1 retailer in Mexico. I see a lot more Lobos (F-150s) Volkswagens and Nissans with Mexican plates than I do GMs but that may just be coicidence. (Maybe I just notice the Sunnies and Polos 'cause they're not supposed to be here)

I'm just saying that it doesn't look like that door is swinging both ways.

http://www.gm.com.mx/content_data/LAAM/M...l?mar=chevrolet

Scroll through, you'll see the Corvette, Camaro, Malibu, Aveo, Cruze and all the trucks as well.
Or, you could scroll through at the link you provided, both of these sites show the Camaro and Corvette as available in Mexico.

The "door" does swing both ways, as evidenced by the large number of cars that GM markets in Mexico and the large profits they pull out of there. If you are only willing to look at numbers of cars assembled and where and how those numbers compare, that is a different discussion. I'm not trying to say that the door swinging is an absolute equal thing on both sides. Just give some perspective that GM has/does and will continue to market in Mexico with good to great success. The fact that they invest in an existing engine plant there is only bolstering an already existing asset. And a smart move for a company that markets on a worldwide basis.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
3.5 mile run!
shocked.gif

How fast were they going? It looked like they were doing highway speed when the crossed the finish line. Where they at WOT for 3.5 miles?

Something seems fishy.

Towing 9000 pounds up a 6% grade for the entire 3.5 miles.

What do you think the terminal speed should have been?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 - 397,347
Ford F-150 - 313,393
Once again, GM sold more 1/2 ton pickups, than Ford did with the F-150.

How did I miss this?

2010 Sales Results

Ford F-Series: 507,215

Chevrolet Silverado: 370,135
GMC Sierra: 129,794
Total GM: 499,929

Result is Ford took the sales crown for 2010, outselling Chevrolet and GMC combined.

P.S. Ford beat GM's total for 2011 too.

2011 F-Series: 584,197

2011 Chevrolet Silverado: 415,130
2011 GMC Sierra: 149,170
2011 GM total: 564,300

Ford makes the best trucks? LOL, yeah my uncles 5.4 did really good, lasted 80k miles before it blew up.

Chevy and GMC are where its at.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ford makes the best trucks? LOL, yeah my uncles 5.4 did really good, lasted 80k miles before it blew up.

This 5.4 made it 1.3 million miles.

www.millionmilevan.com

Quote:

The market disagrees.

I used to be a chev guy through and through. I have a 99 chev silverado 4x4 that I bought new. Lifted it. Cammed and tuned the engine. It's a really strong running truck and I have no issues with it. Over 300000 kms on it now and only replaced front bearings and fuel pump.
Now the older 2v fords are very durable and the tech is beyond chevy's ancient pushrod engines and now fords line of gas motors are the best in the industry.
I am afraid the days of every chevy product having a 350 or 305 in them are over. Ford just has a better product in my opinion.
Now we just have to see how durable they are. My chevy has been through it all and will always hold a place in my heart but when I buy a new one I am going to have trouble deciding between a boosted 6,or a 5.0.
Chev makes a great diesel though but again the cummins is a better motor,they just have tranny issues.

The modular engines are oft regarded as the longest lasting gasoline engine family in history. Your uncle's experience is a red herring and in no way reflects the normal life expectancy for that engine, or engine family.

Our 5.4L's have 150,000 miles on them (each) and run like tops.

It is not uncommon to see taxi cabs with 700,000+Km on them, and Town Cars with even more, sometimes even for sale, safetied and e-tested with a completely stock powertrain in them.

I can't say anything bad about the Modulars. My son had several and they are really long lasting.

But my fleet experience tells me that GM makes really long lasting V8 engines. Over 400k miles on one of mine, and in a 9200 pound truck only city driven!

That's 2 taxi cabs!

I have a 2009 5.4L powered S-Crew 4x4 as my personal truck.

I also drive a 3.5L Ecoboost S-Crew as my work truck.

Facts:

1) the ecoboost is much, much faster, has far more torque and is far more pleasant to drive due to the readily available power.

2) the ecoboost gets significantly better fuel economy. In fact, there is nothing I can do to make the 5.4L match the 3.5L in fuel economy. I simply cannot drive slow enough with the 5.4L truck to make up for the loss of economy.

3) I get 14.5MPG in my 5.4, and if I try really hard, I can achieve 16.

4) I get 18+++ in the ecoboost, and if I try, I can get 22.

That is a significant difference.

Oh, and the ecoboost goes 0-60 in six seconds according to my stopwatch.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The modular engines are oft regarded as the longest lasting gasoline engine family in history. Your uncle's experience is a red herring and in no way reflects the normal life expectancy for that engine, or engine family.

Our 5.4L's have 150,000 miles on them (each) and run like tops.

It is not uncommon to see taxi cabs with 700,000+Km on them, and Town Cars with even more, sometimes even for sale, safetied and e-tested with a completely stock powertrain in them.

I don't agree with overkill often but he is right here. The 2v versions of the 4.6 and 5.4 are generally bulletproof. Their only issue were the heads,and only 3 threads holding in the plugs. I have had to helicoil every plug on my 2000 mustang because spraying nitrous shoots em right out of the head
These motors when left stock are just as durable as the pushrod motors they replaced and got more power with the same as or better mileage.
I have 320 rwhp on my 4.6 with ported and polished heads and cams and it is a rocket. Ran great until I went stupid and sprayed 175 hp shot of nitrous and didn't back off the timing. BOOM.
Generally great motors. The guy complaining about his "dads" only going 80000 should have maybe changed the oil once or twice.

Two points, one as far as I'm concerned the 5.4 isn't that great. They blow out spark plugs all the time, and when you do decide to change them good luck. They also have an issue with the valve train, quite a number sound like diesels after awhile.

Secondly I'm sure the ecoboost is amazing new, lets see what it costs to replace a turbo at 150k miles, or 200k miles.

Last edited:
Two points, one as far as I'm concerned the 5.4 isn't that great. They blow out spark plugs all the time, and when you do decide to change them good luck. They also have an issue with the valve train, quite a number sound like diesels after awhile.

Secondly I'm sure the ecoboost is amazing new, lets see what it costs to replace a turbo at 150k miles, or 200k miles.

Well ford torture tested one that came off the assembly line and baha'd it. Then did a complete teardown with very little wear,if you believe what an automaker advertises. The plug thing is a real issue on modified motors,the motors left stock don't seem to have an issue.
Do you think MAYBE the valvetrain noise could be due to ford specifying a 5w-20 for these motors. I can honestly say my mustang had some valvetrain noise when I bought it with 40000 kms but once I ditched that oil and went with a 5w-30 and 0w-40 it was surprisingly quiet. Then when I installed new cams I did notice some lobe wear on the stock PI cams.
You are re enforcing my stance that 5w-20 is now what's best for these motors. Cafe be darned

Clevy,
so the thicker oil flows better to lube the cam?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Well ford torture tested one that came off the assembly line and baha'd it. Then did a complete teardown with very little wear,if you believe what an automaker advertises. The plug thing is a real issue on modified motors,the motors left stock don't seem to have an issue.
Do you think MAYBE the valvetrain noise could be due to ford specifying a 5w-20 for these motors. I can honestly say my mustang had some valvetrain noise when I bought it with 40000 kms but once I ditched that oil and went with a 5w-30 and 0w-40 it was surprisingly quiet. Then when I installed new cams I did notice some lobe wear on the stock PI cams.
You are re enforcing my stance that 5w-20 is now what's best for these motors. Cafe be darned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back